INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weren't we able to seek before?  (Read 630 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Weren't we able to seek before?
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:38:10 pm »

I'm trying to remember but weren't library server users (such as over the internet) able to seek in tracks?  I'm mainly referring to conversion from FLAC (or anything) to MP3.  Now, all I see is Live with no track duration or progress bar.  I can't seek, either.  I really thought I used to be able to seek around but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure I can seek with FLAC directly streamed.  If my connection provided more upload--closer to my claimed 1Mb upload, I literally could stream most FLAC files without too much trouble.  That would be nice.  It's an issue because all this extra development put into on-the-fly conversion becomes unnecessary as internet connections increase in speed.  In a few more years I'm going to assume our connections will continue speeding up and before you know it, everyone will stream FLAC and entire DVD movies live.  I think a DVD would take ~8 Mb to stream.  Some people have up to 5 Mb now and others have 10-50 Mb with fiber and I'm sure the upload is close to that.  Us users should start demanding faster connections for the same price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up