INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about video tagging methodology  (Read 1917 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
Question about video tagging methodology
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:47:06 pm »

Guys,
    Im interested in how everyone out there is tagging thier videos, do you use genre for the series name for tv programs? do you actually use it for genre? Season and episode seem pretty obvious, what are your genres for your movie collection etc....Id really like to hear how some of the more experienced users are doign it, as im about to start and i'd like to start from an informed position.  Thanks!

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Question about video tagging methodology
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:08:06 am »

I'm 13 months into using Media Center and I still don't have a good movie setup.  Music seems fine.

I use solely VIDEO_TS DVD folders directly ripped from my 500+ DVD collection.  My biggest issue is that if I tag files in MC, the tags are only stored in the MC database.  Nothing seems to be sent back to the files.  I don't like the idea of storing them in the files because that's a lot of data to mess with for a tag but I would like it if MC could store some data file in the VIDEO_TS folder...perhaps an XML file that simply stores the tags for the folder.

I categorize my DVDs under a few categories: DVD Home, DVD Movies, DVD Television, DVD Music, DVD Comedy, ... so I set the genre to that but I have to do so for every file on every MC database that our family uses.

Now I do use the fill properties from filename and pull the Name and Genre.  The name is simply the folder name above the VIDEO_TS folder (I don't even use that folder...I just keep files in there) and the genre is another step back.  So I can store Name and Genre without an issue but it would be nice to have this somehow automatically import into MC and possibly allow more storage of tags.  Would be great if, for example, all the Simpsons episodes on a DVD could be stored in a tag under that disc -- maybe even with a description.  Then, I could search for an episode very quickly.

Yep, I think MC is a continuously evolving program and as good and amazing as it is now, I always keep a long list of ideas going.  As soon as my requests get put in, I'm back posting new threads requesting new stuff.  I probably get a little redundant as I post the same requests every month or two, usually.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:45:53 am »

Several custom fields provide the basis for my video tagging scheme. Looks like this:
Genre (Film, TV, Home movie etc.) ==> Subgenre (Action, Adventure, SF etc.) **Custom Field- Set as a semicolon deliminated list, so I can add a file into multiple genres** ==> Artist (Tends to be the series title, so Babylon 5, Star Trek etc.) ==> Series (Series number & title, so TNG Series 1 etc.) ==> Episode (Obviously the episode number) ==> Name (Again pretty obvious  ;D )

Other custom fields, not used for display purposes, mainly categorisation & completeness-
Animation Studio/ Production Company- Again pretty self evident I think.
Director/ Creator- Used for either the director, series concept creator, or lead writer type person, all depends on the series in question.
Narrator- Tends to get used more for audiobooks, but also gets used for the narrator on factual programs.

I've also found that using the poster works a lot better for film cover art than simply leaving the file as a thumbnail- More recognisable, and you get less WB logos!

-Leezer-

benn600

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 08:56:39 am »

Do you, leezer3, use DVD folders?  Episode number seems worthless if you are using DVDs because one DVD will contain many episodes.

Anyone else using DVD folders?  Please tell me how you handle things.  I am still having a lot of trouble dealing with them yet it's the highest quality option available for DVD source material, obviously.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:35:09 am »

I rip each episode into a single file, & categorise it like that. While having a direct DVD folder rip provides a small amount of extra quality, I've found that a properly set up rip to MKV (Avi works just as well- I just use MKV as it saves 2mb a file  :P ) will look just as good as the DVD folder, & be much easier to categorise.

-Leezer-

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:59:19 am »

I use solely VIDEO_TS DVD folders directly ripped from my 500+ DVD collection.  My biggest issue is that if I tag files in MC, the tags are only stored in the MC database.  Nothing seems to be sent back to the files.  I don't like the idea of storing them in the files because that's a lot of data to mess with for a tag but I would like it if MC could store some data file in the VIDEO_TS folder...perhaps an XML file that simply stores the tags for the folder.
..ever heard of mpl ?

benn600

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 11:17:48 am »

http://www.google.com/search?q=mpl&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

:)

Perhaps try this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mpl++site%3A.jriver.com

We have also the forum search.

MPL = Media Center's proprietary Media Playlist format.

An MPL playlist contains all library fields in XML format. MPL playlists can be used for importing new library files (with metadata from the MPL file) and for updating library data of already imported files.

You can export a selection as an MPL playlist by using the File > Export Playlist command.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 02:05:05 pm »

Now... if only export Playlist were intelligent enough to realise,  if all files selected are from the same directory, to directly open that directory instead of the last one used.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up