INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regular crashing [solved]  (Read 1796 times)

sherbs

• World Citizen
Regular crashing [solved]
« on: August 20, 2007, 01:33:37 pm »

MC12 v301 crashes at least twice a day for me, usually after I've hit the back button but sometimes just playing a song and is always followed by 'the instruction at xxxxxx etc'.

I started typing this 10 mins ago but then thought I'd turn on logging and wait for the next crash first. Took five minutes (back button again). I just clicked to 'email log files' but there is no address. Where do I send it?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Regular crashing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:47:09 pm »

You could read the log and look for "crash".  You may be able to tell what is happening there.

In this thread there are some possible causes.  Yours sounds like the audioscrobbler problem.

Uninstall all third party plug-ins, etc.

Bad DirectShow filters are another possibility.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:15:21 am »

Thanks for the reply.

There is no "crash" in the log file and I don't have audioscrobbler, I'll experiment with the rest.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:20:46 am »

I think I might have located the problem.

Recently I installed the CCCP pack so I could watch mkv files which worked fine. Having tried everything else, I uninstalled it and the crashing seems to have stopped but I now can't watch my mkv stuff. What I need now, it seems, is someone in the know to tell me how I can reinstall CCCP and not have it crash mp3s.

sherbs

• World Citizen
Re: Regular crashing [solved]
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 08:53:17 am »

If you reckon this is [solved], should I start a new thread on CCCP?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 09:08:55 am »

Thanks for reporting the solution.

Did you find glynor's guide to Directshow Guide on our wiki?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 09:14:03 am »

If you reckon this is [solved], should I start a new thread on CCCP?
Yes.  It would be nice to have a thread title that describes the issue.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:56:45 am »

Well, it wasn't the CCCP. It ran well for a while then occasional crashing started again. I gave up for the day.

Today, I switched the PC on, started MC, moved to recently imported, right click>locate artist>back - crash.
Restarted MC, recently imported, right click>locate artist - crash.

I then remembered I have a second PC with MC12, 301 on that I don't use much and just contains some backed up stuff. I went to the video library on it and selected locate artist then back button and... crash. The instruction at blah blah blah.

Basically, the only thing these two PCs have in common is they are WinXP Pro SP2. Neither MCs are using any 3rd party apps. Although I've messed around with some codecs on the first PC, I haven't touched the codecs on the second for ages, apart from updating DivX. I've just checked and it appears I don't even have DivX on the first machine.

Any ideas? In the meantime I'm going to update the first machine to 308 and see if it makes a difference. Come to think of it, although I'm not sure, this crashing problem could have started with 301. I was in the 290s for a long time without any problems.

gappie

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 07:16:06 am »

ive been seeing the same thing as you mister sherbs, for a while now. first i thought my own plugin was playing a part here. so i disabled it, that did not help. could not really pin it down. never thought it was cccp because ive had that installed so long. i got used to ommit the back button. a few days ago i took my media machine of the network and took a lot of programms of, like the virus scanner. but also all the third party plugins including my own. i just tried to locate>album and artist and back again a lot of times without crash. im sorry that i could not be more specific. maybe it helps though to find the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 07:20:03 am »

Are both PC's playing the same files/same library?

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 08:47:40 am »

The PCs are playing different libraries but hopefully that doesn't matter now. I updated the first PC to 308 and have had well over 2hrs of crash free changing views and tagging (and I did try to make it crash). If I get through the rest of the day OK, I'll put it down to something in 301.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up