INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: media center 12 xbox 360 windows media connect??  (Read 6713 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
media center 12 xbox 360 windows media connect??
« on: December 25, 2006, 08:36:03 pm »

hi all. ive been using j river for years now. i updated WINDOWS media player 10 to 11. and after doing so. my xbox 360 wont recognise any files on my server\music pictures ... do i need to setup a library in windows media player to share all those files that are in jrivers?  is there a windows media connect feature within jriver? to be able to share media files.videos music pics to the xbox??

any ideas. ease of setting this up again would be greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: media center 12 xbox 360 windows media connect??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 06:59:48 am »

JRiver Media Center can't help here.  Sorry.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 11:32:50 am »

not a feature J river will incorporate? a person would need to make a library in windows media player as well? thanks JimH

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:17:33 pm »

I would be GREAT if MC could be made to "play nice" with Microsoft's proprietary UPNP that they use with the 360.  It would be even BETTER if MS would just use accepted standards instead of making up their own. 

You used to be able to share folders using MS Windows Media Connect.  Looks like with MP11 this has been changed to where now you have to share an actual library.  So yes, looks like you will have to build a library in WMP11 if you want that to be able to serve tracks to your 360.  As an alternative, just set up a large flash drive as a 'handheld', and just use that.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 06:23:16 pm »

large flash drive as handheld..you mean hook up an external drive to it?  if thats what ya mean.. i'll just wait till something better come along. cause now my computer is hooked up to theater. just thought it would be nice to use xbox for pics movies and music for my son.. nothing he can screw up by connecting wirelessly to those files ;)

Thanks for the advice!!

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 04:36:29 pm »

MS doesn't use proprietary UPNP, they just use a different XML header which appears anyone can connect to provided the User-Agent is accepted.

If you want to stream on the XBOX, use http://www.tversity.com/home. It kicks a$$

Mike

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:56:21 pm »

When I looked at this last time, several months ago, it was more than just the User-Agent header. They had actually extended the UPnP protocol.

j

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:33:49 am »

Well, looks like it can be done based on someone else made a product to interface with it, so it must be public knowledge documented in MSDN or the SDK on how to interface with it.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:26:33 am »

You can license the Windows Connect technology from Microsoft, for a fee.

j

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:12:47 am »

Well, looks like it can be done based on someone else made a product to interface with it, so it must be public knowledge documented in MSDN or the SDK on how to interface with it.

Welcome to the current state of disarray.

MS uses non-standard UPnP on the 360 and requires you to 'pay to play' if you want to serve data to it.
Apple has a closed system that assumes everyone loves/uses iTunes.  The new AppleTV looks like a great product, but will likely only work with iTunes.

Neither of these would be an issue if either solution had decent CODEC/transcode support.  You have to use the handful of CODECs that they support or your SOL.

mlagase

• World Citizen

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 11:41:04 am »

Maybe this will help since it explains how clients connect to the XBOX 360.

http://wiki.simplecenter.org/display/DEV/XBox360+Streaming

Additional info - http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/5/d/65d7bd40-8b73-4b7c-a3ca-da04f2535421/Device_UI_Design_Recommendations.doc

Mike

The key phrase in that link is "requires a licensed DLL from Microsoft".  As John previously posted - you must pay Microsoft to play with the 360, so it is not technically an 'open' UPnP device.  I doubt that JRiver is currently interested in increasing the price of MC for everyone just so a few users can stream with it to their 360s.

The best solutions at this time are:
1)  Set up a folder on your drive as a 'handheld device'.  Sync the content that you want to share with the 360 to that device letting MC transcode it if necessary.  Share  that folder using Media Center Connect or WM11.
2)  Put the content on a USB storage device and hook that directly to the 360.

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 04:38:50 pm »

A few users? That is quite narrow minded if you ask me as the 360 will most likely increase in popularity shortly with the IPTv stuff that is coming out and other upgrades.

I refuse to use Window Media player or the connect stuff since it is such a resource hog and takes forever to load with large libraries which is why I switched to MC. Having 360 connectivity would allow MC to far exceed what others are doing out there.

So for TVersity to come out with a free streaming solution that most likely includes this licensed DLL, you are saying that JRiver won't do the same? Before you go stating stuff like this that JRiver most likely won't be interested in this, has JRiver looked in to how much this will actually cost? Is it a simple one time fee to license this DLL or is there more to the story.

I hate to be a stickler on this, but MC is the best music management software out there IMHO and getting something like this will allow me to do everything through one interface.

In closing, can JRiver comment on the feasability of inquiring about these licensing fees?

Mike

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 12:50:34 am »

A few users? That is quite narrow minded if you ask me

As one of those few users who would like to see this happen, I prefer to think of it as 'realistic' given JimH's response above.  It does not appear to be an immediate priority for them.  Never hurts to ask though, the more people that ask the higher up their radar it becomes.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 12:54:28 am »

Never hurts to ask though, the more people that ask the higher up their radar it becomes

In that case.. JR consider yourself asked :)

Perhaps this could be an optional ($) extra?

C.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 01:56:42 am »

If JRiver *can* answer the question on cost I would like to know too.  Just be aware that some licensing agreements come with strict non-disclosure agreements that must be signed BEFORE you look at the price or the specifics.  Even if they know what it would cost and what the options are, they may not be able to discuss it at all (even to say they can't discus it).

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 10:34:44 am »

I'm checking into this...

j

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 03:18:38 pm »

Count me as one of those few users!

I really believe many don't know the full capabilities of MC.  This forum is proof that there is a lot to be learned about MC.  I'm learning more about MC all the time.

When I tell people of the potential to stream their music and photos using MC's Smartlists they are eager to do it as well but not so eager to purchase a TiVo or a dedicated device like the DSM-320 when a more versatile xBox 360 could do the trick!

jehrico76

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 04:10:37 pm »

I'm checking into this...

j

Add my name to the list of those interested.

JaysonG

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.... I might not.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 04:11:03 pm »

me too

jimbolla

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 08:14:49 pm »

add one more vote for xbox 360 connectivity!

gmelvill

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 04:00:55 am »

Yup you can add me too (just got the 360) and cannot stand any other Media Management software to MC, and hey even if it will cost a little I would be happy to pay :)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 01:42:31 am »

Xbox360 owner here too so here are my 2 cents worth.

I have everything setup to stream almost everything I want to my xbox and I also own a Pinnacle Showcenter 200. JR would be hardpressed making me pay extra, but it would happen if there was support for external subtitles (.SRT files). Another option would be realtime transcoding of HD material in the video's native resolution  ::).

Maybe JR could consider making it an addon/plugin, so only those who want it pay for it?

But I also like to point out that there is a usability issue with Media Connect feature for the Xbox. It does not support subfolders and consequently all your videos will be displayed in a more or less random order in one big list. At one point I had a couple of hundred small videos and browsing for the right file becomes undoable. This is NOT the way I use the media features of my Xbox, I use Windows Media Center (Vista).

What would be much better IMO is if (features of) JRMC12 would be available as a plugin in (Vista) MediaCenter extender for the Xbox360. No idea what it would take though to create such a thing but it is possible because others have already done it.

I would also think that once something like that exists that quite a few xbox360 owners without MC12 would consider MC12 because the current options are limited and difficult to implement.

baldwig

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 04:24:36 pm »

You have my vote.

The main problem that I have with WM on Vista with 360 is the size of the library.

Seems to crash out at 500GB of files (c. 100K songs).

As you know MC11/12 can handle much more - but it would be good to interface to 360

Hope this helps

MartinH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 03:00:17 pm »

Another vote even though you're already looking into it. :)

stan@showard.net

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 07:46:27 am »

I haven't seen anybody mention the Nero Streaming plugin for Windows Media Center.  If you set up Nero Scout to watch the same folders and the same file types as you use in MC, you will have pretty much everything that is in MC available to stream to the Xbox. Admittedly you would have to buy Nero 7 Enhanced but it does solve most of the streaming problem.  Obviously it would be nice if MC were to make a similar plugin avail at an appropriate cost.

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 05:07:06 am »

Is there any update for Xbox 360 support yet? If not, is this even on the to-do list for future builds?

Thanks,

Mike

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 11:57:40 am »

Hi Mike, it's still on my list. Search the forum here for "xbox 360", a few people have gotten it to work...

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 12:00:23 am »

is this thread fixed? Ive still not gotten my 360 to work with jriver? I still can't play music or vids via connect or has the thread been moved?
 Thanks for any info. Still interested in achieving this. if possible!

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 09:40:12 am »

I haven't done anything with it, still on my list but it's a long list...

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 09:48:05 am »

thanks for the reply john.
Pages: [1]   Go Up