INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Step By Step Please - Help Finding Crash Issue  (Read 797 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Step By Step Please - Help Finding Crash Issue
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:01:08 am »

I'm still unable to retrieve a useful log.  In some simple testing, I did discover a few things.  The crash I am having issues with is only occurring on my server which is running Windows Vista Home Premium.  Media Center crashes from auto-importing my Video folder.  This folder contains nothing other than direct DVD rips, around 550 of them.  About 450 have cover art and the rest are home movies that don't really have cover art.  But, they are all direct DVD rips so simply VIDEO_TS files.  I do not use the VIDEO_TS folder, specifically, but rather just a folder and then files.  A typical directory for a DVD may look like this:

\\CHENBRO\titanium\Video\Television\Simpsons 10.1\*.VOB

Now if I auto-import this Video folder in Media Center on my XP machine, I have absolutely no issues at all.  If I auto-import on my Vista server, it crashes, citing a DOM issue or something of little detail.

The surprising difference arises when I simply drag the Video folder into the file listing video of MC's main Video view scheme.  I should note that the area is completely empty (no other video files).  The database also contains my Music and Pictures folder.  Music contains only FLAC and Pictures contains only JPEG files (or at least that is what is imported).

Now I have turned on logging a few times and still cannot understand exactly how to help by posting the log.  I've checked all the boxes and viewed the log after the crash.  It simply repeats itself for each file and then just stops.  I have tried removing the DVD that it got stuck on several times but each time it just fails on a different movie.  I have even tried importing different category Video folders individually but it seems to crash somewhat randomly on different folders.  MC crashes while it is updating the database to match the tags.

The log that is generated is very large.  What exactly do I need to do to get a useful, and ideally, short log that I can post for assistance?  I'm very anxious to figure this out because I now have to manually add new content.

I even created new folders and moved the visible files to the new folders, thinking there may be some hidden or corrupt data I couldn't see inside the folders.  I moved the Video and category folders to freshly created ones, no change.  However, I did post an issue about this strange 0x ... entry that was being created and I think that may have stopped when I did this so there may have been a strange hidden file causing that.

I would appreciate as much detail as possible.  Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up