INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multizone home audio  (Read 1233 times)

paul

multizone home audio
« on: August 18, 2002, 04:23:38 pm »

I am trying imagine a way to do multizone multisource with MJ.  I would like to configure a system where I have multiple zones that can play independent files off of MJ.  For that to work, I would need to run separate instances of MJ on one computer...or better yet, have MJ support multiple sound cards and multizone playing!

Can this be done?  Has it been tried?  Can it be added to future versions??

Just imaging how cool it would be to control the entire home music setup using your wireless PDA and MJ.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:multizone home audio
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 04:27:13 pm »

Not yet, sorry.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

paul

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 04:33:28 pm »

I suppose the most encouraging word in that response is "yet"

Hmmm...

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2002, 05:39:44 pm »

Yes.  We hear the cry.  We're just trying to decide how.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2002, 05:51:56 pm »

For multizone stuff, there has been quite a bit of discussion over on AVS and I follow it but dont do multizone myself so my be off the mark a bit....

You can of course use seperate PC's or devices like SLimMP3 units to decode at point but this is not elegant or easy to provide whole house single source...

You can use W..(another player) and a multichannel soundcard to decode to stereo pairs and then have 4 'zones' from one 8 channel soundcard... This is the same as above in that it is fine for multiple zones but not fine for all zones synced at once...

There was a beta player listed on AVS (have no link but could find it) that was designed for multizone but looked UGLY !! and beta !! I had a peek but ws put off by the looks...

I would say that if you are doing multizone and will need to purchase amps anyway why not get a multizone multi source amp... You can then use a player that maps to stereo pairs and have one input as primary.. This way you can have all on one setup or seperate source zones.. .Amps like http://www.homecontrols.com/product.html?prodnum=KSKHS6440&comebackto=1 run a 6 source 4 room setup for sub 1400, not bad when you think about 4 stereo channels of amplification... Probably not want to put one in your main listening room but for whole house it would do... I have sen links of a RS232 controlled amp which would help tie it to the PC better but dont have it bookmarked...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Paul

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2002, 07:07:11 pm »

JimH,
Trying to decide how?  ...so you`re saying it is in the works?  If you could provide some details on where you are in this process, it would be most appreciated.

Phreddy,
I follow AVS.  Whatever happened to a guy named slau that was going to write his own multizone player?  Not a word from him in months.

MJ is going to be our best bet at implementing this greatly anticipated feature.  With their talent and dedication and hard work, hopefully it won`t be too long.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2002, 08:45:14 pm »

I actually tried (as I usually do) to push him to codeing it within MJ with thier SDK's... As AVS is such a hot bed of geek talent I always try and (selfishly) steer it to better the apps I like too (geez aint I a stinker)...

Slau seemed totally commited to the idea that this would only be fun if done from the ground up... How far from the ground he got I dont know...

There are already options for this (W..... and another) for 4 zones with a single soundcard... I agree however that MJ are our best shot for a well implemented system as they listen to us... I could even see this as being a paid for upgrade with a bigger pricetag than the player itself (due to diminishing returns on size of user group)... Its like I would pay >25 for a dPLII decoder (even though I have paid for one inside PowerDVD / WinDVD etc).. about 200 for a DVD-A decoder..

I still dont see why a good controllable amp is not the solution though... You will need to buy amps anyway for all these channels so why not get a multizone amp and control it with the PC...

The idea however of a Glissando client on touchscreens in the house with control of the zones would be killer...

Stand by for some hot cheap LCD screen info for Glissando once I can get some stuff delivered and tested...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

paul

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2002, 09:03:12 pm »

why not get a multizone amp and control it with the PC...

I haven't found a good quality amp with RS-232 or ethernet control yet, although I haven't looked very far.  I don't want a proprietary connection.  Any suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up