INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Backup  (Read 1488 times)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
Library Backup
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:01:07 pm »

Where are library backups stored?  After doing a massive "Rename Files from Properties) MC12 appears to have lost the file pointers for all 18,000 MP3's, I'm only getting directories and not files in my filename(Path) listing and when I go to restore there's an August backup and daily July backups but nothing more recent.

Hopefully I'm missing something really obvious.

:)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Library Backup
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 10:20:18 pm »

File > Library > Restore Library

Pick the most recent one before your little issue.

Wonder what went wrong?

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:46:24 pm »

Tim--

The default location is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR CURRENT LOGIN>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library Backups

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 02:13:27 am »

I have constantly repeated this: Make a library backup before proceeding...
Personally I do it before and after any major changes. After a major change the old backups are useless.

Tim,

I hope you can find a newer backup file, but unfortunately it is possible that the Restore tool already displayed the contents of the default backup folder. AFAIK, it goes to the last used backup folder.

I'm only getting directories and not files in my filename(Path) listing...

Filename (path) shows only the directory path - it is not supposed to display the filename, Filename (name) shows only the filename without a path and the plain Filename shows the complete string including the directory path and the filename.

It is rather odd if your library has now only the directories because inside the database the complete filename is saved as a single field. The (path) and (name) variations are calculated fields.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

TimB

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 05:46:50 am »

I may have totally @#$#%^ myself.

I Restored my most recent restore and lost my current (entirely restructured filename-wise) existing library.  I thought that backups ran automagically daily, no?  As I can't return to my pre-restore situation I haven't a clue what my problem was anymore.  So I have a library with data a few weeks old, not a disaster but pointing to file names that no longer exist.  Am I @#$#@$% or is there a way to relink files to libraries without losing library data?

-=Tim=-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:16 am »

You can try.

1. Hide the media files from MC by renaming the base folders(s) outside MC. Use a name (or names) that is not going to match with the library.

2. Open MC with your restored library and try to run exactly the same changes you did earlier.

3. Close MC and correct the base folder path(s) outside MC.

4. Open MC. Possibly most of the file links work again. If you still have some orphaned files in the library you can either delete them and reimport or fix each filename manually.

Remember to switch the Auto-Importer off before proceeding.

EDIT

You can use this smartlist/search rule for finding dead file links:

[=IsMissing([Filename])]=1
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 09:59:05 am »

Where are library backups stored?  After doing a massive "Rename Files from Properties) MC12 appears to have lost the file pointers for all 18,000 MP3's
This is the confusing part, why would MC lose track of files that it has worked on  ?
A backup is no help, since it does not reflect the new state. In a situation like this, if you are lucky to catch it, the only way to revert back is an undo. This assumes you make no other library action until you have verified all is good...a really long shot. :(

..or have you uncovered a lurking bug...

which version of MC was used ?

More i think if it i wish MC would log actions that could be displayed in a window somehow so there is a history that can be undone if desired. The current undo is unwiedly and you really have no clue whether it will actually undo or if you change the view, then you will not see the undo, but it has *actually* been undone (sic).

TimB

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:30:21 pm »

It works!

I'm about to do a Backup. :)

I followed some of the above instructions, my filenames were already incorrect inside MC12 so I ran a "Rename Filenames from Tags" using the new format and it found my files and artwork! :)

-=Tim=-
Pages: [1]   Go Up