INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow importing  (Read 2173 times)

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
Slow importing
« on: August 28, 2007, 11:36:53 pm »

Sorry if this is covered somewhere - I've gone through everything I could find.
I'm trying the trial version 12.0.279. In reading in files via the Import fx it's taking 3-4 seconds
per file. I really like the software other than this so it's frustrating. I've completely disabled
all virus checking threads, turned off zone alarn, scanned for virii/adware/rooted virii/etc,..
All I can tell you is that for every single file it's spawning a new JRWorker instance with the
command line:

JRWorker.exe /AnalyzeQT myfile.mp3 mytempdir\####(XXX).xml

then it quits, then another one, then another....
every now and then it suddenly speeds up for say 50 files, then....
I can't locate any option/switch related to analyzing upon loading.
Any ideas??? Am I missing something obvious in the settings?
Actually as I'm writing this I think I'm realizing that it's just doing this for .m4a files.
I haven't seen any of my .mp3 files come up as arguments.
Thanks. It's taking hours to load 10k files.

timlacey

• Recent member
Re: Slow importing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 03:35:19 am »

The program seems to be slow using a wireless connection with Windows Vista.  I was having similar problems, but I switched to my wired ethernet and the library built up very fast.  I don't know whether this is a Vista networking problem or a MC problem, but I thought I'd point it out if it can be a solution for you.  You should be able to get about 1 second per track or better.

Tim

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:08 am »

To quote Matt "JRWorker is used to do video analysis (import) and thumbnailing.  It also enumerates handheld devices. We put tasks there that use third-party SDKs where stability is out of our control."

Normally during import you see JRWorker threads opening each Video File so it can grab a thumbnail for the database.  The odd thing is that .m4a files "should" be Audio only versions as according to filext.com "Files in .M4A format are actually the audio layer of (non-video) MPEG 4 movies....This format is also known as Apple Lossless, Apple Lossless Encoder, or ALE."

Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 06:37:28 am »

The program seems to be slow using a wireless connection with Windows Vista.  I was having similar problems, but I switched to my wired ethernet and the library built up very fast.  I don't know whether this is a Vista networking problem or a MC problem, but I thought I'd point it out if it can be a solution for you. 
That's probably a Vista bug:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42235.0

The wired connection is enough faster to mask the problem.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:39:47 am »

Hi All,

I noticed a similar slowdown with 279. I was re-importing my 36000 items into a new library. after 10000 itesm each item took noticably longer to import, by the 20000th item it was taking sometimes a minute per item, sometimes 15-20 seconds. Now I put this down to the type of media it was importing. But eventually I got fed up, clicked cancel. closed MC then re-imported. It had remembered where it was up to and then completed the last 10000 or so items quickly (as quick as the first 10000 items).

Thankfully this isn't a show stopper as I don't tend to import my entire library often, it only gets slow on the import of the items, not when ignoring them, so import scans my entire library but onl finds a few extra files and adds them very quickly (90 or so seconds for 300GB and 36000 items)

HTH

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 10:36:07 am »

Thanks for the notes about JRWorker, m4a and other help.
I should have said in my 1st post that I'm still using XP.
Anyways, it definitely is a problem with filetype.
I tried w/JUST .mp3s and it's fine.
I put a bunch of files into .M4a before I knew anything about it
and had just gotten an iPod - they are definitely the issue.
If I learn anything else I'll post it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up