INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with media server  (Read 2478 times)

gummbah

• World Citizen
Problem with media server
« on: August 02, 2007, 05:20:24 am »

I don't think the media server functionality is working very smouthly. I often have troubels connecting my work comp with my home comp. A simple restart of both systems often fixes the problem, but why is this necessary?
More annoying is that the work comp, once connected, plays one song fine, but then it cannot connect to the next songs. Disconnecting from the remote server and then trying to reconnect does not work and I get a connection failure. Only a restart of both j river media centers can fix the problem.
I also often get a message that media libraries are not the same version, while I am absolutely sure both apps are the same version. Again, a restart fixes this.
All tis makes the media server functionalisty pretty useless for me right now.
Any ideas?

cheers

gummbah

• World Citizen
Re: Problem with media server
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:43:59 am »

Update: the problem seems to be solved when I disable the autoconversion. So the problem might be located in that part of river media center.

cheers

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:11:20 am »

I think you are having network issues, not Library Server issues. Because it is saying the libraries are not the same version, you are either not connecting to Library Server, or something in between is corrupting the data. Don't use "Search for Library Servers", instead choose a fixed port that you know is not being used.

j

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 10:37:51 am »

Thanks for the reply.
I forgot to mention that these problems do not occur in my home network (where they work fine), but through an internet connection (using a fixed port). And sometimes (as for example today) it works fine, after I disabled automatic conversion.
That does not sound like a connection error to me.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 12:55:49 pm »

The automatic conversion is probably a red herring.

The fact that you are connecting okay at times, and other times get a version mismatch says something basic is going wrong, and it isn't Library Server doing it.

What port are you using and did you try a different one?

j

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 02:40:06 pm »

The automatic conversion is probably a red herring.

The fact that you are connecting okay at times, and other times get a version mismatch says something basic is going wrong, and it isn't Library Server doing it.

What port are you using and did you try a different one?

j

I am running the server on port 8500.
Have not tried another one. Should I pick a specific number (e.g. higher numbers better than lower or something like that?).

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 03:28:40 pm »

Try a few higher numbers (not larger than 65535)...

j

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 02:49:31 am »

I have set it to 40000 now. For now it seems to be working, but let's see what happens on the long run.
Thanks for your help!

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 03:43:03 am »

Hmm I have been too optimistic. Tried it now with ports 40000 and 60000 and still Media Center at my work will only play 1 song and then stop playing. Not sure what to do now.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 04:45:04 am »

Ok, I have now set it to 30000, but still connection problems.
Than I decided that I would not use conversion, and guess what, it runs fine now.
Are you sure there cannot be a problem in the conversion part?

To make sure, there are two separate problems:

1. Connection problems: sometimes I am not able to connect my work pc with my home pc (getting a connection error from MC). I have no idea where this comes from (tried several ports now). Not sure if the conversion is part of the problem here, will do more testing.

2. Continious play problem: once connected MC only plays one song of the list en then stops. My impression is that this is a problem related to conversion. When I do not use conversion I do not get any problems.

Cheers.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 10:24:34 am »

Are you getting the "incorrect version" message anymore?

How fast is your server? If it is slow, it will take a few moments to set up conversion and the connection is possibly timing out.

How is the server connected to the Internet?

j

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 02:50:17 pm »

Just two thoughts
Some ISP's use nasty QOS limitations to avoid high traffic (esp if you got an flat rate at very low costs) They sniff protocols and slow down any traffic that's identified as P2P to snail. Of course the sniffer was mistaken in your case....

Latency/dropped packets can cause a lot of trouble. The problem can be your ISP or one of the two routers involved. A ping /t xx.xx.xx.xx for more than 24hrs should tell you. Not easy to examine who's the bad guy if it's your cause though (and it's not easy to ping the other machine behind the router, remember the ping will be responded by your router)
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 02:15:28 am »

Thanks guys for all the help!
The server is my home pc, a P4 2.4 GHz behind a router with ports forwarded. I have a 20 Mbit line, p2p is working without any problems (getting over 1 mB/s download speeds and up to 100 kB/s upload speeds with utorrent). The work pc is a university comp.

Will do more testing when I a back at work on Monday.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 06:13:27 am »

Ok, I am still having problems with media server.
I have setup a remote desktop connection to check what happens when connection fails.
It turns out that when one song is played and the connection stops, Media Center itself seems to be ok (server side). However, when I try to stop the server (under library service in Services and Plugins), MC hangs. Cannot do anything anymore and only a hard reset of MC helps.
That does not sound like a connection error to me, but as a media server error.
Anyone else with the same experience or maybe a solution?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 09:43:56 am »

Turn on logging (make sure the Sharing Plug-ins are selected), make MC hang, and e-mail me the log (gateley @ jriver.com)

thanks,

j

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 12:52:27 pm »

Turn on logging (make sure the Sharing Plug-ins are selected), make MC hang, and e-mail me the log (gateley @ jriver.com)

thanks,

j

Thanks for looking into. Will do when I am back in to office on Monday.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 03:33:00 am »

Hi John check your email.
Cheers

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 03:18:32 am »

John, I resend the email. Let me know if you got it.
Otherwise I'll try a different mailbox.
Pages: [1]   Go Up