INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Currently there's no option to switch off for good video auto-resume (last position you stopped a video is stored and when you hit play MC always jumps to that position); do you need that option?

Yes, add an option so that I can decide if I want video auto-resume or not
No, I dont' need that option

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: do you want an option to set video auto-resume on or off?  (Read 2554 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe

Currently there's no option to switch off for good video auto-resume (last position you stopped a video is stored and when you hit play MC always jumps to that position); do you need that option?

What do you all think?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Re: POLL: do you want an option to set video auto-resume on or off?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:20:51 am »

Requested this before I'm sure, but yes I would really appreciate this option. Autoresume is to me simply an annoying feature which trys to second-guess what I want, & not something that I use if I can help it.

-Leezer-

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:19:37 pm »

I'd like to see it have a configuration with 3 options:
1) Always resume from bookmark
2) Never resume from bookmark
3) Ask Me what to do

-John

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:21:15 pm »

I should mention... I voted no because I personally would almost always (98% of the time) prefer to leave the resume feature turned on.  However, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to an option like described by Skeeterfood.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:05:27 am »

i personally like to have my choice to do whatever i want with all the options media center offers.. so yes i'd like to have the option to shut it off. or turn it on :)

Neville

• World Citizen
  • I am the black crow king...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:46:41 am »

I don't need that option, but I would appreciate if it was disabled for videos that are less then 10 minutes in length.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:38:41 am »

Voted yes my self. When sharing a HTPC with several users the experience is frustrating.
But as Neville mentiones, there should be an option to leave bookmarks on and off whether the video files are small or not.
There should also be a time option here. Like, do not use bookmarks older than a couple of days or something.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:15:23 am »

It is also frustrating when I play music videos from a playlist. I have a few hundred music videos (one song in each) and I often play them from a playlist, just like audio files. I just checked the bookmark field and about one third of them seem to have a bookmark. Actually, this applies to anything that I play from a playlist like home video clips.

It is a lesser problem when I play a single video file, like a full-length movie. Though, I only recently learnt that a "double-stop" clears the bookmark (actually it is a "triple-stop" because playback must be stopped first). Before that I couldn't clear the bookmark easily. I had the Previous button set to "previous track always" and when I had only one video file in Playing Now the button didn't do anything. I thought that the only way to bypass a bookmark was to move the position slider.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

skeeterfood

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:56:02 am »

What also might be useful for TheaterView's context menu is something like this (stolen from my ReplayTV's interface):
Play
Play from Beginning

-John

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 10:16:09 am »

What also might be useful for TheaterView's context menu is something like this (stolen from my ReplayTV's interface):
Play
Play from Beginning

That's a gread idea, too.  Either that or some of us were thinking that once you started playing a file, then it would ask if you want to start from the beginning or where you left off.

Imagine you had some media playing and then wanted to add a DVD as next to play.  Unfortunately, there would then need to be a Add as next to play from beginning .... Add as next to play from where I left off.

A menu once the item is playing might be better.  However, if you add 5 DVDs and then start 1, then as 2 starts, it would ask you the question and not continue until the user selected one.  So what about a time out on the menu?  15 seconds to make a selection or it will start where you left off.

Better yet.  When playing a DVD, it would start where you left off but it would add an overlay: Push Enter To Start From Beginning.  This would disappear after so long.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 10:38:01 am »

I started a topic about this subject early this year and there was an interesting discussion about it.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38105.0

skeeterfood

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 04:03:48 pm »

I started a topic about this subject early this year and there was an interesting discussion about it.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38105.0

Unfortunately it seems to be on the MC12 Beta Board?

-John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 04:06:26 pm »

I've moved it and changed the link above.

skeeterfood

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 04:13:39 pm »

I've moved it and changed the link above.

Thanks!

Looks like nothing ever really came of the discussion though :(

-John

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 04:27:13 pm »

Just a thought from looking at the thread above- How about tweaking the bookmarking slightly, so that if its in the first or last two minutes of the file it doesn't bookmark?
This would then eliminate a lot of the issues I'm seeing (Still annoying, but less so), as for example it wouldn't autoresume on short files or in the credits of films, which is currently IMHO a major downfall.

-Leezer-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 04:46:19 pm »

Just a thought from looking at the thread above- How about tweaking the bookmarking slightly, so that if its in the first or last two minutes of the file it doesn't bookmark?
This would then eliminate a lot of the issues I'm seeing (Still annoying, but less so), as for example it wouldn't autoresume on short files or in the credits of films, which is currently IMHO a major downfall.

I'd actually prefer not, if that's okay.

One way I really LIKE the bookmarks is for watching TV shows.  We have a large catalog of recorded TV shows, including many series we've never watched regularly, that we are watching serially (one after another, in order).  I don't always remember where we last left off, though.  The auto-bookmarks make it easy to start right back up.  If I start an episode, and it "starts" with the credits at the end, then I "track forward" until I find the first one that starts from the beginning.  I don't have to remember which one we watched last (or wait for the Number of Plays to show up at the bottom of Theater View -- which is also sometimes misleading as I check through episodes often to make sure they're good quality after I encode them)... Just get close (but not too far) and I can find it really quick!

I've gotten quite used to this feature, and would miss it if it were gone.

I'd much prefer they just add an option to disable it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

robydago

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 02:18:36 am »

I think that auto bookmarking the last position should be always on; what should be user set is the *always* part of the "always jump to last played position when user hit play" behavior we have now.
as someone wrote already, 3 good options could be:
-always
-never
-prompt

the prompt option could be enhanced with a timeout and default answer both set by user

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 07:15:25 am »

That is a great solution.  Just a single option for always, never, or prompt to the setting.  The setting name needs a clean, short title.  But I really think that would handle the settings for such an option.  Then, the timeout would only be important if prompt was selected.  Then, there doesn't really need a customizable timeout time (who cares).  Just use 15 seconds...maybe a little longer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up