INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integration with Slim Devices  (Read 2734 times)

mhakman

• World Citizen
Integration with Slim Devices
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:23:39 pm »

I hope this topic isn’t too heretical. I’m thinking about a plug-in that would integrate Slim Devices Squeezebox and/or Transporter hardware with MC. By integration I mean that when an audible track is selected for playing in MC then the track starts playing on Squeezebox/Transporter. In order words, the issue is controlling Slim Devices from MC.

Would this be possible at all?

Thanks/Mikael

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Integration with Slim Devices
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:31:33 am »

MC supports audio output plugins.  They're delivered raw audio data.

There's no way to hook in a level higher to intercept MC's playback engine from getting invoked at all. (except Send To > External)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 07:46:03 am »

Thanks Matt!

I’m not 100% sure but I think you would need to intercept start of playing at “file” level. I think you need to tell Slim Devices what file to play, not merely send it a stream of audio. So maybe it isn’t doable. But I’ll investigate what Slim Server (open source) does when you select a file for playing in the server (as opposed to on the device).

Audio output plug-ins are interesting in other contexts too. Is there any documentation?

Thanks/Mikael

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:41:28 am »

Look at the MC2Slim plugin for MC 12.  It doesn't send the audio stream to Slimserver; it just monitors MC 12 and tells SS to play the same thing.

At the time I looked at it, there were some problems with installation, synchronization and documentation.  I don't use it but others do.

I think you can find threads about it on the SlimDevices / 3rd party s/w forum.

Bill

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 06:20:12 am »

Many thanks Listener! I’ll test MC2Slim ASAP. Monitoring to what MC is doing seems to be a nice idea, not only in this context. I have been using MC automation to access MC library but couldn’t find any docs on how do you monitor it. I suppose it is done by registering some kind of listener  :) with MC and then receiving events. Is there any description on how it is done and what events are available?

Thanks/Mikael

Craig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:18:01 am »

what events are available?

Now there's the catch ;-)

you can get MC2Slim from my link below.
Craig
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 11:29:26 am »

Thanks Craig, both for the link and for sharing your work with the rest of the world.

I’m interested in monitoring events because I need to execute a piece of code just before a file that uses audio renderer specified in DVD configuration starts playing. Then I need to execute another code just before a file using audio renderer specified in Playback Audio Output Mode/Ouput Mode Settings starts. I need to reconfigure some software/hardware depending on whether the source is DD/DTS (multichannel) or plain PCM stereo. I need to do this ahead of playing, preferably keeping MC waiting until I’m done. All that being in MC Theater View mode. A simple example to get me started would be appreciated.

Thanks/Mikael

Craig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 01:27:31 pm »

I program in Delphi and it was a simple case of importing the MC type library, and dropping the component on my form but I also remember that Scthom had a hell of a time getting it working in 'C'.

There are also plenty of problems with the events as you will see if you read a few posts in this forum. There doesn't seem to be any progress on getting them fixed either.

Good luck
Craig 
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up