INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image ripping  (Read 1568 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Image ripping
« on: September 02, 2007, 06:51:24 pm »

Did anyone get a chance to try the new picture ripping feature?  It's in the Action Window under Camera (for now).  Thanks to Matt for a quick implemention of a possibly lame idea (mine).

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
Re: Picture ripping
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:10:58 pm »

I tried it on a webpage with framesets.
It only grabbed the images in the first frame.
Did what it was supposed to do within that frame though.

I can definitely see an application for this.
We do a lot of outdoor activities with another couple.
We both take pictures.
We both post photos on private websites that we both can access.
If the other couple gets some shots that I want, I usually just do the right-click/save as and put them in my local folder for that particular event.
This will save us some time.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 11:14:49 pm »

Also, would recommend filling in some of the tags with a default.
For example...perhaps fill in the comments field with the original URL or at least the base URL of the site where the pics were ripped.
It may be a while before getting around to tagging and that little reminder may come in handy.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:56:02 am »

I had a quick look. When it asked what to search for, I didn't really know so I donned my ever handy 'schoolboy head' and typed in "breasts". MC came back with just 18 pretty boring pictures. Yes, they contained breasts, but only 36 of them? They were nothing to write home about either... perhaps I should have tried "spectacular breasts" instead!!!!!!!

Anyways, it did work, though it might be more use if it could pull down more than the just the first page of results. If it could have done that, there would probably have been more breasts to be bored over!!

:D

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:54:36 am »

I think it is a fantastic idea.  Just needs more options.

A preview of what is to be downloaded would be nice.  With the option maybe to not download certain files.  How about only download images with a minimum size.

I noticed that it didn't immediately bring me to the list of recently imported files.

On a side topic, do you think we will ever see the display view feature for random images pulled from the net based on the currently playing song?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Image ripping
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:27:22 am »

It worked with this address:

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/features.html

I got 50 image files.

Have you seen this Firefox plugin: http://www.downthemall.net/ ?
It has a few features that you could copy. I use mainly Opera, but when I want to download images from a website I always change to Firefox & the DownThemAll plugin.

BTW, your web designer should use the "Save for web" feature in Photoshop CS2. Many of the images MC downloaded contain unnecessary metadata. You may want to open e.g. the following image file in a hex editor for checking the amount of "CS2 garbage".

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 04:00:13 pm »

I just moved this over from the beta forum.  It's in build 318.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 07:49:55 pm »

Had a quick play, and this has the potential to be a good tool, but at the minute, its far too indiscrimiate :)
Point it for example at this forum page, and it'll download everything in sight- Smilies, banners, logos, button images etc.
I think it needs a default ignore list (User editable would be nice too :) ) to cover these types of files.

-Leezer-
Pages: [1]   Go Up