INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Invalid address for write  (Read 1628 times)

sherbs

• World Citizen
Invalid address for write
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:30:40 am »

Trying to burn some AVIs to DVD, get half way through then DVD pops out with the Invalid address for write message. DVD now only good for the bin.

Any help on this?

Higginz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm Swedish
Re: Invalid address for write
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:21:08 am »

I haven't tried to burn .avi directly to DVD. Not sure that It actually works.
I always use a program called 'ConvertXtoDVD'. It converts your .avi's and then it burns to DVD-R.
I haven't used MC for burning anything yet, so I'm not sure how things work with MC.
My guess is that you have to convert your .avi first.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:44:14 am »

I'm just moving them onto DVD as data files for backup purposes. I've actually managed it now by burning the files a couple at a time but now have another problem.
I want to get a whole series on one DVD and when I drag the whole lot to the burn window, it informs me that there is over 200MB to spare. When I just did the burning two-at-a-time bit, I got to file #20 out of 24 and I'm informed that I need a new disc. This is because the files in the library are 175MB but on the disc they are 179MB.

So now I need to know not only what an Invalid address for write is but also how do I plan what I'm going to fit on a DVD?

Thanks.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 03:20:10 pm »

OK, try it from this angle:

On the DVD, in explorer, the files total 3580 MB and in MC, 3500 MB. Either way, plenty more room on a 4.7GB DVD. Why then does MC present me with Disc Overflow Options when I try to burn one more 175MB file?

Please?

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 05:06:49 pm »

I'm still trying to write a DVD. I put a new disc in and did a test run with the 24 AVIs. It finished OK.
I then deselcted 'test' and ran it for real. It got to file #2 and spat the disc out with an Invalid address for write message. I am now on my 3rd DVD and so far up to file #5. I thought this was going to be a lot easier.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 05:43:27 pm »

I got a result! All 24 files on one DVD.

Next, strange problem is that when I put the DVD in and open it in MC then play a file it jumps and stutters a lot. Yet, if I open the DVD in explorer and play a file from there, it plays fine. Any explanation there?

I'm still looking for advice on all of the above as I have seven series to go and only 17 DVD's left  :'(

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 06:41:45 pm »

I know there are a few questions posed by this thread, would it help if I separated them into different threads?

I take it, from the lack of interest, that I am the only one to spend a whole day and a couple of DVDs doing something that maybe should have taken an hour. You could put it down to a) bad media, b) bad drive, c) bad software. I don't know. That is why I am in the *cough* support forum.

Do you recommend I carry one as is and hope for the best?
Do you have some advice that might prevent further problems?
Does it matter?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 06:48:20 pm »

Sorry you're feeling alone, but it often happens when nobody knows the answer.

One possible point of confusion -- MC burns only data DVD disks.  It can't burn a disk that will play as a movie in a standard DVD player.

If you are trying to burn a data DVD disk, try slowing down the burn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up