INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ringtone Maker  (Read 2523 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Ringtone Maker
« on: September 07, 2007, 05:24:53 pm »

Now that I can add ringtones to my iPhone for free I would like to know if anyone knows of a simple program that will take a song, in FLAC or other common formats, allow you to cut out X seconds, such as 30, and then add fades?  Audacity is great but I want a more automated solution that is free.  Can MC do this?  I know it has some basic audio editing features.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Ringtone Maker
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:46:40 pm »

Can't Media Editor?

It Does Fade-In's And Fade-Outs

And I Know It Works On MP3's
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:53:56 pm »

Maybe that would be a nice feature addition to Media Editor.  Simply a ringtone maker ...lol.  Call it something else.  Song Preview Maker (lol).  Then you would enter the duration and checkboxes for start/end fades.  Then, it would let the user save the file in any format (AAC would be nice).

I forgot about Media Editor.  I haven't really ever used it before.  I created 23 ringtones in Audacity.  I had to lower the bass significantly so they sound okay on the iPhone and wow, it did help a lot!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:53:41 pm »

So, benn...

What is the point of the $0.99?  Just to give you the "privilege" to "edit" the song?  (If so, then BOOOOOOO!)

I take it the iPhone lets you choose any file you want, so long as it is an appropriate length, now?  I hadn't heard this!  Good news!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 11:28:56 pm »

I'll explain it.  From the Keynote on Apple's web site, I recall the following:

iTunes 7.4 now has ringtone support.  When installed, it automatically removes any ringtones that a user has "hacked" onto their device.  So, it starts you fresh with no extra ringtones.  At the moment, you can see the ringtone tab under the iPhone but not the Ringtones section on the left pane.  Steve said they will "turn on" the ringtone feature in about a week (from Wednesday).  They probably have some work to do still.

So when you want a ringtone, you look at your songs and after some action I can't remember, a ringtone icon column appears and a bell appears on songs that are eligible for ringtone creation.  It sounds like they must be purchased from iTunes and even then, only 500K of their millions of songs are eligible.  So anything unprotected is most likely offlimits.  When you want to make a ringtone, you bring up the editor, select a section up to 30 seconds and then add fades or loop the ringtone.  When you are satisfied, you click Buy Ringtone and at that point, you are billed $0.99.  So you basically pay $0.99 * 2...song + ringtone.

Now this is very controversial and confusing.  For one thing, it is actually a good deal compared to many other phones!  Many others are $2.49!  However, I have never purchased a ringtone and probably won't ever.  So, I am very pleased that it is so easy to create ringtones for free!

I spent about an hour or so going through my favorites playlist in MC.  Then, I simply drag a song from MC to Audacity (two monitors--across the gap).  Audacity imports it.  I then play the song and find the section I like.  Then, I cut it down to around 25 seconds (too long means you don't hear the fade out because it just stops).  Next, I add fades, EQ it to remove most of the bass, compress and boost the audio overall.  The goal is to get the bass out so it sounds okay on the iPhone speaker.  With very little bass it actually sounds half decent!

So once you have the file, export as WAV.  I'm using FLAC so no loss in original quality except for my edits here.  Then, import into iTunes.  Then, convert to AAC 128 Kbps.  Then, I delete the WAV and AAC from itunes keeping files.  Then I move the files to a folder to keep for later use by me.  Then (lol...then then then) find the AAC file and rename FROM .m4a TO .m4r (ringtone).  Then, simply drag into iTunes.  It will be added but won't show up anywhere in your library.

However, go to the ringtones tab and viola!  There the ringtones are!  Then just sync them over and you're ready to go!  I purchased the music on CD and ripped it (and still own CDs!!) so I already bought everything.  I've read some other people saying that this is legal.

At the moment you can't find the ringtone files in iTunes so you can't delete them from the database.  Be careful to not clutter the cluttered iTunes database up TOO much.  When they turn on ringtones the option should appear and you should be able to delete them.

I almost think this was intentional because it's SO simple!  Nothing to it!  People, on other forums, were saying it can't be that simple!  But it is!

benn600

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 11:31:10 pm »

It would be amazing if you COULD just pick any song from your iPod part and just use it!  Why go through all the conversion and junk?!  The ringtone playback could simply add fades over the audio file so you wouldn't need to create a separate AAC file for every ringtone.  It's really too bad.

They probably would have been able to enable such a thing for unprotected audio because their contract (for Itunes music store stuff) probably doesn't apply to non-protected content.  But, their iTunes purchasers would have been really upset.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 01:36:16 am »

i been converting\making my own ringtones for almost 5 years for my spv cell. Ive just used a basic editor, cooledit, JRiver mediacenter, and then i save to whatever format i want. (preferably small format mp3, and lower the sample rate)...Then i could have mutiple ringtones with out using up storage(0ver 100), But now that they've come out with 4 gig cards i have plenty  of space on my card... space really isnt an issue, but still nice to keep the space for my motion pictures movies, and music library's) once done converting just throw it on the phone :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 07:02:09 am »

So once you have the file, export as WAV.  I'm using FLAC so no loss in original quality except for my edits here.  Then, import into iTunes.  Then, convert to AAC 128 Kbps.  Then, I delete the WAV and AAC from itunes keeping files.  Then I move the files to a folder to keep for later use by me.  Then (lol...then then then) find the AAC file and rename FROM .m4a TO .m4r (ringtone).  Then, simply drag into iTunes.  It will be added but won't show up anywhere in your library.

However, go to the ringtones tab and viola!  There the ringtones are!  Then just sync them over and you're ready to go!  I purchased the music on CD and ripped it (and still own CDs!!) so I already bought everything.  I've read some other people saying that this is legal.
It looks like Apple has an iTunes update that spoils the fun:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/07/itunes-7-4-1-already-released-free-ringtone-workaround-is-ok/

benn600

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 08:48:01 am »

I'm not updating!  lol.

I was hoping Apple kind of knew this was gonna happen and just let it go.  Who's gonna come yelling at Apple?

So once they do enable ringtones the question is how will it restrict users from copying their own files?  [Idea removed]  Let's not speculate on ways to hurt the consumers.  I'm thinking there will probably be workarounds continuously because everybody wants free ringtones on their phone.  Good thing we have the whole world, practically, helping on this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up