INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange problem - no sound  (Read 1708 times)

JHC

• Recent member
Strange problem - no sound
« on: September 12, 2007, 08:24:14 pm »

I've tried to search the forum for this issue but haven't found anything...

This is a strange one. If I click on the "Audio" button, I wind up getting the standard details view for all my music in the library -- good. I double click a song, and Media Center *looks* like it is playing the song (counter/duration etc gets updated) but there is no sound. I can stop/pause etc but no sound.

If I invoke any filter (i.e. click on something in the "genre" pane, artist pane etc) and then try to play, I have sound. If I search for something and double-click a song, it plays. As soon as I go back to the full list, I can't play anything... or rather there is no volume.

Anybody have any idea what I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Strange problem - no sound
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:53:22 pm »

That is strange.

Try switching playback between wave out and direct sound.  Under settings/options/playback.

JHC

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:35 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion Jim -- unfortunately that didn't help.

Is there some extra logging I might be able to turn on that might trace what Media Center is doing?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

JHC

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »

One update: it seems even stranger.

If I create a smartlist to show me all files (music) imported in the last 245 days, I get a list of 1800 or so files. If I attempt to play one of them, everything is ok. If I edit that smartlist to show me all files imported in the last 250 days (when I created this library), i get a list of 48000 files and then if I play one... no sound.

So it *seems* like once the list of files grows long enough, I no longer have sound.

Might this help?

Thanks,

Jonathan

JHC

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 10:15:46 pm »

Just figured out the problem :-)

As I was playing with a smartlist modifier to limit the number of results, I was trying to narrow down the number of songs displayed at which I'd have a sound problem... and it hit me...

It turns out the problem was the volume leveling feature which I had set to be based on the playlist. I guess there is a song somewhere in my library that is messing up the leveling algorithm. When I turn this off, all is good.

Hopefully if anyone else has this issue, they'll find this thread.

Thanks,

Jonathan

old_mick

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 07:12:16 am »

I too have this no sound problem, gone through all the settings and suggestions. Have checked the sound system on my computer which is fine. Windows Media player no problem. This just occurred yesterday as I was playing a collection. I switched off when it was working fine but switching on again nothing. Help please! ?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 07:30:18 am »

Are you using Vista?

In Vista, each application has separate volume controls via the Mixer. It's possible you've accidentally given less volume to MC than everything else. Load MC, right click on your volume icon in the taskbar, and select Open Volume Mixer. MC will be one of the apps listed there.

old_mick

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 07:40:35 am »

Yes I am using Vista,

I did try what you suggested but alas the problem is still there. I'm wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall. Don't want to use Microsoft Media player.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 07:53:18 am »

Maybe. First, try;

Tools>Options>Playback

In there, make sure Output mode is Wave Out and play with the "Output mode settings". It may be redirecting the sound to your headphone jack or something.

old_mick

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 10:01:42 am »

Many thanks,

Output mode was set to direct sound, resetting to Wave out seems to have solved the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up