INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC on Vista  (Read 1312 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
MC on Vista
« on: September 14, 2007, 10:36:12 pm »

Over the last few months I've had numerous headaches with my MC library. I've watched a film before bed and then woken up to find that huge tracts of library info are missing, I've woken up to find that files won't play anymore, and today I woke up to find that all the files in the library were gone. Playlists were still there however.

There are a few reasons why this could be:

My library is on a network drive, accessed by 2 different computers. The vista computer connects to the network drive wirelessly, and there are of course dropouts, and mapped drives get disconnected.

My vista computer is a cheap (TP1) sony vaio running vista, and vista really sucks. I swear it is trying to annoy me in as many different ways as possible every time i turn it on.

Sleep. I think this might be the strongest possibility. The most consistent element of the problems has been that i use MC in the evening, leave it loaded, put the computer into sleep mode and then when I turn it back on, things are all messed up. I wonder if this is just vista's sleep behaviour, or something MC is doing when sleeping or being woken up? Anyway, I'll try closing all the programs before sleep from now on.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: MC on Vista
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 10:43:46 pm »

Hi Park,
I use Vista (Ultimate) on two different PC's with media being a mix of local HDD and stuff over the N'Work.  I leave them running most of the time, though the HTPC gets dumped into sleep mode bit.  Not that this will help you but I've never had a problem like what you have described on either box.  I personnally think Vista is a better platform for MC than XP (mainly to do with Video handiling but there are still some bugs between the two).
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:03:34 pm »

Thanks for the reply jmone. Re: Vista itself. It may be better at it's foundation for video, audio playback etc. but it has me wanting to throw my computer out of the window for all of the "informative" messages it constantly throws up at me. And I'm not just talking about UAC.

I've been reading the forum and found a couple of other threads that look like similar behaviour:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42253.0

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42556.0

I know that it isnt recomended to have the main library on a network drive, but it's just so convenient for multiple computers. I wonder if it's the "wireless", the "sleep", "MC" or "Vista" that is causing the problems.

rjm

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:21:10 pm »

Do you have auto-import on? If yes, given your setup, I would turn it off.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 02:57:11 am »

I know that it isnt recomended to have the main library on a network drive, but it's just so convenient for multiple computers.

Why it's not recommended ?

Thanks for any info :)

With the new concept of data sharing on the local Intranet, all the main multimedia data ( Music, Photos, Videos..) will be in near future, on a unique server inside the house.

Actuallly, I am beta testing the new Microsoft Windows Homer Server :
-> The WHS is perfectly used by distant J River MC of my HT Vista Laptop :) :)

Best regards from France
Jean-Max

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 04:04:47 am »

Hi Park

I also use MC extensively on two Vista computers with a similar setup to your own with no trouble at all. My HTPC rarely gets shutdown, and mostly lies in sleep. I have "Run Auto-Import in Background" turned off on all instances of MC, which will most likely be the source of your pain.

I know that it isnt recomended to have the main library on a network drive, but it's just so convenient for multiple computers. I wonder if it's the "wireless", the "sleep", "MC" or "Vista" that is causing the problems.

I use library server to connect to the library, rather than having all instances of MC pointing directly at the same library on a network drive. I believe that's the intended use. MC's database is not transactional nor is it designed for read/write sharing.

Re: Vista itself. It may be better at it's foundation for video, audio playback etc. but it has me wanting to throw my computer out of the window for all of the "informative" messages it constantly throws up at me. And I'm not just talking about UAC.

I'm not having any problems with Vista, I get the occasional UAC and "Updates Available" message but I have it specifically configured to give me those messages. Nothing unwelcome comes up. Perhaps your setup could be tweaked?

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:09:51 am »

Using the vista (living room pc) in library server mode only is not a bad idea. My 720p HDTV resolution is too small to be doing tagging etc. comfortably anyway.

The auto-import thing doesnt affect me though. I have it turned off on both my pcs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up