INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12.0.318 will not recognize 30G IPod as a 'handheld' [Solved]  (Read 1362 times)

dlmax63

• World Citizen
MC 12.0.318 will not recognize 30G IPod as a 'handheld' [Solved]
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:36:23 am »

I have a 30G Ipod which MC will not recognize as a handheld anymore. Instead, it shows up just like any other hard drive on my system. I have tried Options>Handheld>Redetect but this has no effect. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to? I don't sync very often because I have a number of smartlists that I listen to and I only need to update them every few weeks.

One thing that may be of interest...I thought that with the Ipod copying tunes from the ipod to the computer was supposed to be difficult without an extra utility. If I explore my drives through windows, I am able to view and copy any/all mp3 files from my Ipod to my computer. I seem to remember some time ago that when I did this the file types were different.

Media Center Registered 12.0.318 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2007 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 440 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive H: E-IDE   CD-ROM 50X        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive I:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive M:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive N:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive I: SONY     DVD RW DRU-830A    Addr: 2:3:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:141  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 12.0.318 will not recognize 30G IPod as a 'handheld'
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 07:14:50 am »

Did you update iTunes or make any other changes to your PC?

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 10:00:27 am »

Thanks for the quick response, Jim.

I install itunes updates as they are announced through the software and am currently on v7.4.1.2.  I always make sure that if I have itunes running I don't have my ipod connected.  The only thing I use it for is to rip CDs (sorry, but I've always had audio problems with MC rips; dropouts within a few seconds of the start of the songs.  I long ago gave up on trying to resolve it).  I do not use itunes to manage my library, for this I use MC.  As for other changes to my computer, I think the only changes have been to add different DVD decrypting software for making backups of my own DVDs.

While checking versions, I decided to check the firmware version on the Ipod itself to see if it was up to date. I did that through itunes and installed v1.2.1. I then ejected, closed itunes and reloaded MC. When I connected the Ipod, MC then recognized it as a handheld and all is now good in the land of OZ. Thanks for your help, Jim.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:22:49 pm »

Thanks for the report on the solution.  I'm glad it's working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up