INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: is there a way to change multiple tags based on conditional statements?  (Read 1538 times)

olarte

• World Citizen

I want to do the following, find all Mix Albums and change the track  name to include the artist name.

This is as a temporary fix for the Ipod coverflow\Compilation problem.

I want to do something like if [mix album]=1 then [track name] = [track name] - [Artist]

thanks in advance.

I also posted this in the Ipod forum hope that's ok... it seems to be more of a general MC issue instead.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Is [track name] a custom field of your own?
If yes, follow the steps below.
If no, follow the steps below, replacing [track name] with [name]

1. List all your audio
2. type [mix album]=1 into the search bar.
3. open the tag action window
4. find the track name field and click to edit.
5. type =[track name] - [artist] and press Enter.
6. Job Done.

-marko.

olarte

• World Citizen

Is [track name] a custom field of your own?
If yes, follow the steps below.
If no, follow the steps below, replacing [track name] with [name]

1. List all your audio
2. type [mix album]=1 into the search bar.
3. open the tag action window
4. find the track name field and click to edit.
5. type =[track name] - [artist] and press Enter.
6. Job Done.

-marko.

Hi Marko THANK you very much... this is exactly what I was looking for.

I don't have a track name field but that gave me the idea of creating it to save the original name as a backup of the name.

What i plan to do is to add the artist name to the name, and change the artist to something like compilation soundtrack to fix the problem with the Itunes classic.

This way The problem will be fixed and I can still see the artist in the ipod. Once they fix this major bug, I will put things back the way they should be.

By the way, is there some documentation for MC on what else can be done with calculated fields???

Thanks again! :D

bspachman

• MC Beta Team

As for calculated fields, check out:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language

Share & Enjoy,
Brad

marko

• MC Beta Team

It often makes things easier if we all refer to the various features and techniques within MC in a uniform way...

So to that end, the page linked above by bspachman describes what are referred to within MC as "advanced expressions". The page lists the available functions and some usage examples.

Calculated fields are a little different. You can use "advanced expressions" and/or any other combination of existing library fields to create "Calculated Fields".
To create a calculated field, go to: "Tools > Options > Library and Folders > User Library Fields > Add Field" and you will be presented with the following dialogue:

You name your field, then select the "Calculated Data" option and enter your field template in the box provided. You can put just about anything you can imagine in there, someting simple such as [track #]-[artist]-[name] would create a field like so using existing database information.

Many neat things can be achieved by using calculated fields, Here are two examples of using calculated fields for two very different applications, and perhaps interesting, in both cases you never really use the fields to display their data directly within MC, though you could do if you really wanted to, as once created, calculated fields can be listed, searched or whatever, just like any normal field.

1. In this example, I've taken the [date (filename friendly)] field and used it to create two new calculated fields which are then used to sort my images "Newest First", but "Oldest First" within each day so that the photos are shown in the order in which they were actually taken.

2. And in this example, I've set up a couple of calculated fields to use in a web photo gallery. The fields are only ever used by the gallery template, and when called, all the relevant html code plus required database info is inserted into the web page.

Neat? I like to think so. Unique? I think so too. Well worth the entry fee if you ask me :)

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up