INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detailed list sorting  (Read 3296 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Detailed list sorting
« on: October 16, 2006, 09:43:02 pm »

I have mentioned a few times
(mostly in this http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35998.0 thread)
that the sorting of the files in the bottom list seems to be really really odd.

This is most noticeable for me with photos. I want to see all of my photos in date order (newest first). But MC seems to be grouping them first (i cant figure out how by what logic though) and then sorting by date afterwards. This results in really weird sorting. Photos from one trip are dispersed and dont follow a timeline at all.

I know that the date info in the files is correct because other software sorts them correctly. Being able to view photos in the order that you took them is the most basic feature of almost every photo viewing/organisation software out there. Infact it's also their biggest drawback too, since there arent really any other ways of viewing the photos. With MC we have the power to filter them down and search for them in any way we can imagine. I just want to see them in the right order at the end.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Detailed list sorting
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:10:54 am »

I have two sorting presets saved in my customise current view settings; oldest first and newest first. They are date (a-z) and date (z-a) and they work as advertised.

If you open the customise current view dialogue, are there any other sorting parameters in the sorting options, and if not, have you specified sorting rules in step 4 of the 'edit view scheme' dialogue? I can't think of anything else that might queer this for you.

Also, this seems like an ideal opportunity to re-iterate how neat it would be if MC could allow a "Sort days by oldest first when viewing images by newest first"
This would allow us to view newest photos at the top of the list, but sorted into the order in which they were actually shot on the day.....

hmmm.... brb.... :)

EDIT:
k, I'm back... and I've achieved my wish, but would still prefer to get this by means of a simple tick-in-a-box somewhere....

[date (filename friendly)] looks like so for me:

yyyymmdd-hhmmss

I created two new custom fields using calculated data, effectively splitting the data into seperate date and time info...

1. Time expression: mid([date (filename friendly)],9,-1)&DataType=[Number]
2. Date (no time) expression: mid([date (filename friendly)],0,8)&DataType=[Number]

Open the customise current view dialogue and set sorting rules:
date (no time) (z-a)
time (a-z)

Click OK and enjoy :)

gappie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:53:35 am »

nice marko!!!

will try it later today.

thanks
gab

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 05:19:20 am »

did you try it?
I'm absolutely loving it. "Newest first" used to be a bit like trying to read the newspaper upside-down, but not any more....

gappie

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 05:35:03 am »

yes! and it works great.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:35:59 am »

This is a good workaround, but still doesnt solve the issue of sorting when in tiles view. Everything in the bottom list gets sorted by the tile groupings first, putting everything out of order.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 11:26:52 am »

I wonder....

did you realise that there are independant "customise current view" options.
There is one on each menu that drops down on the left end of the tile header, and file header. Try setting the same sort options for each and see if that helps matters...

This is the reason why I asked for our saved sorting presets to be made available in that menu, namely to save us the hassle of loading the customise current view dialogue simply to load a sorting preset. I guess if anyone else agrees, now is the time to pile in and say so....

time is running out ;)

-marko.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 09:56:34 pm »

I have my tiles set to "Default" and the bottom details view is using "(Z-A) Date (Filename friendly) in the customize current view sorting area.

But the bottom list always groups the photos according to the top tiles first and then sorts by date.

On the subject of presets, I still vote for the outer menu presets and customize current view presets to have some kind of synergy. Like, have the outer menu presets editable inside the customize current view dialogue box and some way to decide which presets get put into the outer menu. Recently the columns and customize current view were made to link to each other, so I'm hoping that they might get round to doing sorting sometime too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up