INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: initialize iPod not deleting files  (Read 2655 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
initialize iPod not deleting files
« on: February 26, 2005, 06:55:54 am »

I am having this problem with MC11, the .99 build. Basically, I right-click on the iPod and choose "Initialize iPod". This goes off and does its thing, after it is finished the iPod view in the tree shows 18.5GB free.

If I right-click on the iPod and choose Synchronize iPod, the amount of free space shown is the name as the amount of free space before initializing, ie as if the files on the iPod had not been deleted. So choosing any files to transfer quickly generates a warning message that there is not enough space.

Restoring the iPod using the Apple utility seems to work. Also, ejecting the iPod after initializing, and plugging it back in, sometimes seems to work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: initialize iPod not deleting files
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 07:49:49 am »

I am having this problem with MC11, the .99 build.
199 build?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 09:39:00 am »

The 'Initialize iPod' option in MC only erases the hidden DB on the iPod and doesn't actually erase the music files present on the iPod.

The 'Restore' command in Apple's iPod utility does actually format the drive.

Sounds like the 'space available' is using Windows system calls, which shows the space taken up by the non-erased files....

Just a guess,
brad

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 09:51:48 am »

199 build?
Sorry, that's right, the .199 build.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 12:26:46 pm »

Please try again with 200. During intialization, MC does delete the files on the iPod. You can verify this by doing an initialiize and then browsing through Explorer to see if files are present. My hunch is that MC was not updating the view correctly. I made some modifications in 200 which will affect this and hopefully correct your issue.

Steve

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 08:19:29 pm »

Nope, still happening with build .201.

I initialized the iPod within MC. Went to sync dialog, which showed -18.3GB free. Started the sync, got the error.

The iPod view shows 18.5GB free, but lots of files with blue icon (on iPod already?) and grey icons (in queue?).

Here is something to think about - perhaps the transfer queue is not being reset? ie I set up a sync for 18.5GB of new files, it doesn't work so I initialize the iPod and try again. Now I am being shown -18.5GB free, but some views say the iPod is empty. Perhaps the previous transfer queue was not cleared, and I am trying to transfer 37GB to an iPod that can only hold 18.5GB?

What I am doing, which may be different from other users, is using an elaborate set of nested smartlists to handle sync. We've already had a problem before where the smartlist was regenerated at diffent times during the sync, so things became confused...

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 09:23:26 am »

Sorry to be out of touch on this issue for a while. Are you still having the issue with the current build? If you cannot reproduce with non-nested smartlists, that would support your theory. If it appears that is the case, you could help me if you could narrow the problem down to a reproducible test case as simple as possible.

thanks,

Steve

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:10 am »

Media Center 12.0.318
A147 TXL, TXN iPod Video (black), 60GB

Allright this post is a little dusty, my hope is that may mean there is a solution I've yet to find after searching...  :-\

Here's the deal - I had a 4gig Mini - Loved it -  8)
I had a iPod playlist which was how I would sync the iPod
and a smartlist for iPod songs rated 4 & 5 this was great!
I got a little crazy for a while with smartlists based on the iPod play list but it worked great and all of my play lists would appear as intended songs ratings would update/sync all was great with the world - I converted more than a few people to MC and was justified in snubbing iTunes ( :P I still am)

NOW - I have traded up ( ? ...) for a 60gig iPod Video...  :-\ ...

• 1. On Initializing the iPod the 'details' screen shows filled with media from my library (here after referred to as 'shizzle'), from no apparent respect to playlist or media type.
  • 1a. Deleting all of this 'shizzle' doesn't seem to flush any queue - it ALWAYS comes back.
  • 1b. I tried deleting the iTunes DB, Renaming it, Deleting the control folder, Restoring the ipod from iTunes (i was desperate)
  • 2. Sync (after deleting the 'shizzle' from the 'queue') pays no mind to the iPod playlist (for now I'll not worry about smartlists)
  • 2a. I tried a sync of 'shizzle' hoping it would flush out the bug - NO luck
  • 2b. After agreeing to remove files (shizzle) that were over the limit and acknowledging media types (more shizzle) that were not supported that would not transfer...
  • 2c. It took up space on my iPod and was not accessible through the interface. (common problem I've noticed)
  • 2d. Another attempt; delete 'shizzle', sync, after about 5 seconds says finished (I had checked the playlist again) Nothing transfered and the 'shizzle' promptly filled the 'details' screen again...
  • 3. Once I successfully cleared the 'shizzle', selected the iPod playlist and then selected those song to 'Drop Here' and synced - it loaded the songs I wanted YAY!  ;D
  • 3a. Loading is one thing - Synchronizing is quite another.... [Return to Line 1]  >:(

::) That about covers it - I've come to learn that the iPod DB has a new version, and I presume having updated my 2 year old iPod with the latest firmware has made sure I'm up to that new version. I don't know if that's the issue or not. Any and all comment and help is appreciated.

:'( I've been through the ringer on this one - After closer inspection - it looks like 'shizzle' is in fact my entire library. I had removed the movies and pics to simplify my test subjects (so-to-speak --- Here I am referring to my treasured library of media as 'shizzle' and now 'test-subjects' Thank You Baby Jesus for the forethought to back everything up!) :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 07:01:16 am »

Build 329 is on our downloads page now.  Please try it.

Fewer smilies and less shizzle would make your post easier to understand.  The facts are buried.

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:52:47 pm »

• I downloaded and installed Build 329 & Rebooted. I'm not sure what this did, but for now I'm learning to live with it.
  • Playlists still don't sync. New playlists I created and then selected for sync in the import options dialog did not make it to the iPod.
  • I added music from my library to a playlist in MC, then selected those songs and dragged and dropped them to the iPod.
    Then I dragged that playlist and 2 dependant smartlists to it as well. (Just dragging the playlist doesn't sync anything in it to the iPod, but it does make an entry in the playlists menu on the iPod.
  • On 'sync' the music I rated today did update the ratings in the library ratings and subsequently the smartlists as well. I guess that means 'Play Stats' do update.
  • After every sync files from the library would appear in queue (not the ones in the playlists...) So after every sync operation I remove them.

shiz... :-X
Pages: [1]   Go Up