INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two random plugin dev questions...  (Read 4729 times)

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
Two random plugin dev questions...
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:34:25 pm »

Are there dev interfaces to allow the following:

1)  Find deleted files.  The import has an option to skip files that have been deleted from the library.  I can tell which files have been updated since a certain date, and which ones have been played.  Is there a way to find which files have been removed?

2)  If I create a function to generate a mix playlist (using MusicIP), is there a way to add a call to this function to the right mouse menu when songs are selected?  If this is possible, I'd love some example code.

The two are related - MusicIP uses a cache that stores information about the songs in a library, including a fingerprint for each song.  I'd like to periodically check for changes to the library from MC, and the piece I'm missing is deleted tracks.  And if I get the plugin working, I'm not sure how to call it from MC (I'd actually like to be able to use the right mouse and a keyboard shortcut).

Thanks!
Brett

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
Re: Two random plugin dev questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:58:35 pm »

Sorry I don't post an answer but I'm very interested in your plugin.
Will it require MusicIP Player to be installed? Do you need beta testers?

Good luck!

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 06:57:52 pm »

I will post what progress I make here or start a new thread, but my intention was not to develop a standard plugin (anything with it's own appearance and real-estate), but rather a plugin that was invisible and could be applied once track(s) were selected using the mouse or keyboard.

This may be a non-starter.  I hope someone has a suggestion for how to do this.

As for installing MusicIP, this should work standalone and not require MusicIP to be installed.

Brett

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:51:17 pm »

There is currently no access to the right mouse click menu, or any menu for that matter.  Only interface is via the interface plugins.

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 02:52:23 am »

Can't you use the "send to" like option in the right click menu?
Apart from the interface, you know where you're going concerning MusicIp sdk?

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:17:28 pm »

neFAST,

That's an interesting suggestion, I will have to give it some thought. 

As for where I'm going, the answer is yes/no/maybe.  The SDK has several "mix" functions that take tracks or albums as input and return a playlist.  I've been looking mostly at Meedio plugin development, as I like the idea of generating a playlist from "seed" songs, but using a remote or touchscreen - and I don't like theaterview.

While it might sound harder to develop a Meedio plugin than MC, that seems not to be the case.  Meedio has automatically scheduled imports (you can set them up to run every 15 minutes, for instance).  This works well for the MusicIP SDK, since it has its own cache (don't need MusicIP installed), which the import can keep it up-to-date.  Then the plugin gets fed the selected songs and plays the returned playlist.

Within MC, I'm not sure how best to keep the cache up-to-date, and I don't think many people are interested in a feature that requires it's own updating.  But assuming the cache problem is solved, I imagined just control-selecting songs, then using right-mouse and selecting "generate mix", and having the results shoved into now-playing.

Do you have any suggestions?

Brett

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 02:48:13 pm »

Didn't received anything from MusicIP :(
What's up on your side?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 03:21:13 pm »

neFAST,

That's an interesting suggestion, I will have to give it some thought. 

As for where I'm going, the answer is yes/no/maybe.  The SDK has several "mix" functions that take tracks or albums as input and return a playlist.  I've been looking mostly at Meedio plugin development, as I like the idea of generating a playlist from "seed" songs, but using a remote or touchscreen - and I don't like theaterview.

While it might sound harder to develop a Meedio plugin than MC, that seems not to be the case.  Meedio has automatically scheduled imports (you can set them up to run every 15 minutes, for instance).  This works well for the MusicIP SDK, since it has its own cache (don't need MusicIP installed), which the import can keep it up-to-date.  Then the plugin gets fed the selected songs and plays the returned playlist.

Within MC, I'm not sure how best to keep the cache up-to-date, and I don't think many people are interested in a feature that requires it's own updating.  But assuming the cache problem is solved, I imagined just control-selecting songs, then using right-mouse and selecting "generate mix", and having the results shoved into now-playing.

Do you have any suggestions?

Brett

I wouldn't want to see it in the playing now, but rather in a new playlist called MusicIP Mix.    The only time I would want to see MIP add in songs to playing now autmoatically is if playing now ended and it enqueued more songs to start playing!

Also it looks like they are going to add cmd line option to MIP 1.9 beta: http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showtopic=236&st=0&p=12893&#entry12893.  This could make the 'send to' option much easier.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23:29 pm »

neFAST,

I've gotten a new sdk and several email replies to questions from MusicIP.  I'd try another email, maybe something got lost along the way.

datdude - I'm not sure if I disagree or just don't understand what you are getting at.  I don't want a new (but static) playlist from MIP.  I'm more interested in a smart playlist type functionality that uses a seed song(s) to generate a playlist on the fly.  Having this add to or replace the playing now list is actually what I want in this case.  If you already have a now playing you don't want to upset, why use MusicIP?

If what you want is to pick a few songs and generate a (static) playlist, have you tried using the http api?

Brett

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:58:30 pm »

Typically I don't like all the songs in the MIP list.  I want to be able to access a newly created smartlist inside MC based on MIP and then move the songs I do like over to PN, rather than just dumping those songs and having too remove all the ones I don't want.  I might only like a few of the songs that MIP suggests. so this would be easier than having to remove all the ones I don't want out of playing now.

The benefit would be that you could right click a song inside MC, mix it, then not have to open up MIP separately.  Like I said as well, if I am away from the computer, I wouldn't mind dumping the songs directly in PL when the music ends acting kind of like itunes party shuffle.  That would be pretty cool.  But if am there using MC, I don't want something interfering with PL.

Does that make sense?

How would I use the HTTP API currently in MC?

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

datdude,

Sorry, I misunderstood why you didn't want MIP to go to Playing Now.  If it is to remove songs you don't like, MIP has settings to stay in the selected genre or you can use filters - that might help.  It doesn't solve the problem, but it may provide a playlist you like more (for instance, you can create a filter that doesn't include Christmas songs...).

I thought you wanted to generate a static playlist, in which case the http api might help.  But since that isn't what you want, I doubt the api will be useful.

Brett

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 11:19:35 pm »

No worries, I do use filters both on genre, and ratings. 

But I'm not sure what you mean by static playlist?  There is something contrary to that in MIP?  Can you elaborate on this "I'm more interested in a smart playlist type functionality that uses a seed song(s) to generate a playlist on the fly."

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 11:31:09 pm »

On the HTTP API, I'm not sure how it's usefull at all?  It looks like there is an itunes script, but how do you call it from itunes?

Treat me like a 2 year old here.

Thanks

whicken

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 01:20:30 am »

Didn't received anything from MusicIP :(
What's up on your side?

Not sure what you're looking for, or where you sent your request, but you can reach me directly at whicken at musicip dot com if you have any questions.

Wendell

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 08:57:57 am »

datdude-

Sorry for the confusion.  I was trying to differentiate between two types of playlists.

My thinking is a static playlist is one that is created once and doesn't change (all songs by Matchbox 20 in my library when I create the playlist).  If I latter add another Matchbox 20 album, I need to manually add the songs to the playlist.

A dynamic playlist (smartlist) uses rules, so it can be different each time you play it.

None of this is new, I guess I just used different terms to make this confusing.  When you originally asked to have the songs go to a new playlist, I thought you had a list of a few songs that you wanted to make a static playlist from, remove songs you don't like, and be done with it - not change the list after that.

As for the HTTP API, some simple code can use that to send a song to the MIP engine and get the playlist back.  That's probably the quickest way to get MIP functionality into MC - but still requires some new code.  Users would also need MIP installed.  Using the MIP SDK would allow you to create a standalone funtion (MIP not installed).  This requires more new code.

Brett

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 10:28:08 am »

I don't think that your idea dumping the songs into playing now is a bad idea, its just if there was an option to have it create a playlist inside MC with those exact same results instead, that woudl be great as well.  So with your plugin I am hoping you could do either.

It is a feature request!
Pages: [1]   Go Up