INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 Features questions/need  (Read 1901 times)

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
MC12 Features questions/need
« on: December 30, 2007, 08:46:21 am »

hi,

first of all, after looking for a long time for the right media software I found media center to be the ONLY software that does it all, do it good, do it fast.

however, I think that there are some features missing in media-center that would make life easier for the listeners and organizers:

- burn/transfer volume leveling based on replay gain:
  I would like to have the ability to change the audio/video files at the target location (either burn to cd/dvd or transfered to handheld) so that players without replay gain capability can play music (this exists at music match for sometime now with the ability to reveret to the original volume).

- migrating from music-match to media center: since media-center uses different tag storage protocol than music-match, some of the tags cannot be removed and we need external tag cleaners to fix the problem (for example (tempo, mood, prefrences, custom1 fields).  I found a web page explaining this but is it fixed in MC12?

- database Vs. tags information check and modify.
  if for some reason (file was acidently write protected) the tag couldn't be writen there is a different info between the data-base and the tag.
 I woule like to have a method of showing 2 things.
 1. for the current database fields (user+default) a field by field comparison between the tag and the database.
 2. show tags that do not have those fields in the database (working with several data bases).

for both 1 & 2, I'd like to be able to mark which is the right info and re-synchronize it.

- I place my media files in special folders and would like more convenient way to drag-n-drop the files into my folders. currently I have to open drivers->my computer .... -> the required folder.
 can we have the folders as fields in a views so we can do batch moves? or maybe other convenient way?

- can we have more string functions? like regular-expression? currently left/right/... need exact number of characters.

Shay

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC12 Features questions/need
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:14:58 am »

burn/transfer volume leveling based on replay gain:
  I would like to have the ability to change the audio/video files at the target location (either burn to cd/dvd or transfered to handheld) so that players without replay gain capability can play music (this exists at music match for sometime now with the ability to reveret to the original volume).

This would be nice to have - goes on the wish list for mc13.
John

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:05:45 pm »

Hmm on a related inquiry... I realised that I probably have some write protected music, where my tag edits wouldn't have updated the files. I just removed the write-protect checkbox from my master music folder. Will MC update the files now, or must I do something to initiate that?

I didn't really think of it in terms of database/per-track tags, but it's of course much safer/better to have them in the tags directly!
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 03:50:13 pm »

[...]
- burn/transfer volume leveling based on replay gain:
[...]

Hey Shay!

Take a look at "Tools -> Options -> Burning". Make sure that "Apply cross-fade and DSP effects" is selected and click on "Cross-fade and DSP Studio Settings... -> DSP Studio... -> Volume Leveling". If the files, you are going to burn to an Audio CD are already analyzed, volume leveling will take effect to all Audio CDs you'll burn in MC if you have "Volume Leveling" selected.

[...]
- I place my media files in special folders and would like more convenient way to drag-n-drop the files into my folders. currently I have to open drivers->my computer .... -> the required folder.
 can we have the folders as fields in a views so we can do batch moves? or maybe other convenient way?
[...]

Did you try right click on the files you are going to move -> Library Tools -> Move Disk Files...?! It remembers the last destination you moved / copyed files to. For me it works much faster than drag&drop.

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 04:09:26 am »

hi StFeder and all,
thanks for the reply,

about the burn/transfer, as I understand it only effects audio burns. I am not sure that anyone uses this format.
In any case it's nice to know that there is a solution for the audio format. I would like to have the same capabilty for mp3 players (I should have wriiten "mp3 players" instead of just "players" in the original post).
actually,  jack wallstreet replied that  it will be on the MC13 wish list. I am not familier with all the names here, I hope he is one of the developers of MC.. btw, where is this list, I have more to add to it.

I didn't try your 2nd suggestion yet (repeating a "moving files" action), however I want to be more-clear on that,
I rename my audio files as "name-  artist" so that as a defualt I get a list of sorted names on the disc (I don't like to hear more than 3 songs from the same artist back-to-back) when running songs from explorer.
to be able to reduce the number of files in the audio folder I use the 1st letter of the [artist] as the destination folder (26 folders total). So, if I rip a newly bought compilation CD, I have to move the songs to several destinations (this is one example, there are other examples where I have a stack of songs and need, again, to distribute them to the different sub-folders.

I noticed nobody replyed to p7389 , this also interests me. I sometime protect the files as read-only and later forget to undo it. when changing the tags, I get the error message but later, do I have to redo all the tag changes/only one tag/nothing.it-will-be-synced-automatically ? what is the algorithm?

Shay

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 05:08:17 pm »

actually,  jack wallstreet replied that  it will be on the MC13 wish list. I am not familier with all the names here, I hope he is one of the developers of MC.. btw, where is this list, I have more to add to it.
Jack is none of the developers, I'm afraid. There is no real wishlist, but there is one thread here at the board, where some user wishes are collected. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44079.0

about the burn/transfer, as I understand it only effects audio burns. I am not sure that anyone uses this format.
I still burn AudioCDs from time to time... you are right, it only effects audio CDs.

I didn't try your 2nd suggestion yet (repeating a "moving files" action), however I want to be more-clear on that,
I rename my audio files as "name-  artist" so that as a defualt I get a list of sorted names on the disc (I don't like to hear more than 3 songs from the same artist back-to-back) when running songs from explorer.
to be able to reduce the number of files in the audio folder I use the 1st letter of the [artist] as the destination folder (26 folders total). So, if I rip a newly bought compilation CD, I have to move the songs to several destinations (this is one example, there are other examples where I have a stack of songs and need, again, to distribute them to the different sub-folders.
Sounds very special. Now I see why you always have to drag&drop your files  8). I think for this move/copy files is no good solution for you. I have no idea, how to do this in an really easy way.

Hmm on a related inquiry... I realised that I probably have some write protected music, where my tag edits wouldn't have updated the files. I just removed the write-protect checkbox from my master music folder. Will MC update the files now, or must I do something to initiate that?
You have to initiate the tag update. You can do this via right click on files and select to "Update Tags from Library". MC also saves the whole tag if you do any change to it.

So, as far as I know, MC will not update the tags automaticly if you remove the write protection.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 10:56:05 am »

Use the "Rename Files From Properties" tool:

You say...
1. All files in the Audio folder
2. File under alphabetical sub folders
3. Files will be named [name] - [artist]

You don't say...
1. Where you put artists beginning with "The ..." (for now, I'll assume you ignore "The")
2. Other scenarios that don't fit the rules below

If you use the tool with the rules below, it will take care of all filing for you in just a few mouse clicks.

-----------
1. Select file(s), right click, library tools, rename files from properties. (try one or two before doing many)
2. Enter the path to your "Audio" folder in the "Base Path" field
3. Paste the following into the directories "Rule" field: if(isequal(mid([artist],0,3),The,1),mid([artist],4),mid([artist]))
4. Paste the following into the filename "Rule" field: [name] - [artist]
5. Click OK
-----------

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up