INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Sort Artist" field, iPods and compilations  (Read 1943 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Sort Artist" field, iPods and compilations
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:20:29 pm »

Hi,

As some of you have already experienced, the new iPods (at least the Classic) have removed the capability that was very handy for compilation albums (Album Artist (Auto) = (Multiple Artists) in MC12 terminology). On previous generation iPods, there was an option under Settings -> Compilations, which when turned on, would remove the artists in the compilation albums from the artist lists under Genre etc. This option is no longer available in iPod Classic. Needless to say, this makes the artist lists unusably long for those of us who have many multiple artist albums.

I have been thinking of using the "Sort Artist" field (introduced in iTunes 7.1 version) to help fix this problem. Does anyone have any experience with this field? I understand that this field is used as the sort mechanism for sorting by artist in iTunes. Is it also used as such in iPod? My thought was to create a custom filed "Sort Artist" and make it a calculated field which would be equal to Album Artist (auto). This would hopefully show all the compilations under (Multiple Artists) on iPod. Has anyone tried something like this?

thanks,
Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
Re: "Sort Artist" field, iPods and compilations
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:56:26 pm »

To answer my own question. I tried this and it didn't work :(.

I hope a firmware update will soon bring back the Settings->Compilations option.

thanks,
Osho

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:36:42 pm »

I use Tag & Rename that has a check box for compilations.  Then I drag and drop with jriver and it works fine for compilations on my ipods.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:37:33 pm »

I use Tag & Rename that has a check box for compilations.  Then I drag and drop with jriver and it works fine for compilations on my ipods.

Do you know what does Tag & Rename do for albums that are checked as compilations? Is it stored in some tag? If so, do you know what is the name of that tag?

thanks,
Osho
Pages: [1]   Go Up