INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temporary Network Change For The Library Files  (Read 860 times)

MajorTomKY

• Recent member
Temporary Network Change For The Library Files
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:32:38 pm »

I'm Fishing for ideas or methods to accomplish a temporary change in my network environment.  I have the whole network up running fine at home but I leave town for 6 months or so at a time and can only take along so muchof the network & computers but can't help but want to continue work on file tagging etc.. and of course enjoy the music!

Setup as it is. Music library is on a drive connected and shared by a computer called 'Media'. ( any shared drive has a backup drive mirroring it ). The library references all the files in this manner : //Media//Reggae//Marley, Bob//Exodus//01 Exodus.mp3.

The Video library is on a drive connected and shared by acomputer called 'Video' ( ditto aboutbackup drives ). Similar sharing withthe files being prefixed //Video//Divx//Movies//Fantasia.avi.

Any work I do is done on my machine 'Primary' where I keep the real databases for JRMC12.  Actual use is onthe home HTPC which has it's own library that basically is however recent and import I make from the Backup zip from Primary.  That way I can work and have in progress stuff and until I'm done I'm never having to worry about users on the HTPC have network share problems or touchingfiles that aren't readyfor use as they don't know about them until thenew library is restored from Primary's backup.

I'm going to take the machine 'Video' with me, including the VHS and USB digitizing box. I'll keep digitizing VHS while inthe new town. THus I'll take the video external library HDs. I want to be able to also use and work on the music so I'll take the backup music library external drive.  Video will get a copy of MC and restore library from the backup of Primary.

At this point the music files would be on //Video//Reggae...etc..
In the past ( Jukebox ) I would have just used a byte editor and replaced the word MEDIA with VIDEO and all would be well. Now I assume something like this canstill be done BUT when I finally return home with the library and it's changes.... REPLACING VIDEO with MEDIA will mess up the actual VIDEO files but restore the Media ones. And I would want to be able to use the now modified Library to restore to the home system.

Since there are 60,000+ music files with hundreds of playlists they are associated with and dozens of custom database fields what I've done and will do is a significant investment in time. Ideas?

I would just take the Media Machine with me BUT we do drop back every couple weeks to the house and I'm trying to keep the music library at home on thenet where it can be used. Luckily no one is using the video at present anyway since I'm only a hundred or so movies into the VHS conversion.

Having only changed from Jukebox to Media Center recently I'm not as up on all the features MC has. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up