INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View rocks!  (Read 4038 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Theater View rocks!
« on: October 22, 2007, 05:08:57 pm »

I've been around here awhile now but this past weekend is the first time I have had the opportunity to hook up a computer to an entertainment center. It's an old computer but at least my TV has the ability to be a monitor so the picture isn't bad. But anyway, it's my first real chance to check out theater view and it's cool! Now I have a whole new area to explore in MC. I thought I'd share a photo of my setup.
http://www.pix01.com/gallery/021ACCF1-DB8C-4FAD-B5FB-6A23F5F3DD3C/MC/image_orig0.jpg

Now I'm off to explore the Wiki on theater view!

Jeff

newmaidumosa

• Recent member
Re: Theater View rocks!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:10:37 am »

yeah its pretty awesome!

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:42:48 pm »

you are very neat and clean ;D

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:33:01 am »

you are very neat and clean ;D
LOL  I'll give you neat. The funny thing I have learned over my life is that neatness assumes cleanliness.  :-X
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:24:07 pm »

LOL  I'll give you neat. The funny thing I have learned over my life is that neatness assumes cleanliness.  :-X
And a clean desk is a sign of a dirty mind.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:05:34 am »

I guess I'm both then cause some areas are a disaster while others are spotless.  Its a cycle...

You've got to try the full screen track info display with the blue background and lower right image (blurred lines).  It's very nice.

The key is remote, too.  I am using the Keyspan remotes and they allow each button to be customized to any keyboard combination...so I can customize each button to exactly what I need and then save the configuration out to use again so I don't have to configure it again.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:30:54 am »

You've got to try the full screen track info display with the blue background and lower right image (blurred lines).  It's very nice
which goes well with Midnight Azure  ;D

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 07:08:12 am »

The key is remote, too.  I am using the Keyspan remotes and they allow each button to be customized to any keyboard combination...so I can customize each button to exactly what I need and then save the configuration out to use again so I don't have to configure it again.
For some reason I see myself using this particular computer more than just MC which means I'll need to use a keyboard too. I think my ideal solution would be a wireless keyboard with a trackball built-in. I just haven't found one at a reasonable cost that's gotten good reviews. I've seen some with touchpads and joysticks but still not sure. At this point though, that's a lower priority on the buying list.

Oh, and Jim, thanks for the compliment.
Jeff

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:16:46 am »

MC12 works out of the box with the Microsoft MCE Media Center Keyboard (with inbuilt pointer thingie) and Remote Control (both are IR based).
JRiver CEO Elect

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 01:15:08 pm »

Yes! I meant to say this for quite some time now.. Theater View is excellent! I used to complain a lot about it just a few months ago, but.. wow! it improved so much lately. Thank you very much!
One thing which also improved my Theater View experience is that I moved from keyboard/mouse to a remote control (Logitech Harmony) via usb-uirt/girder - it took a while to setup but now works beautifully.
Once I switch back to keyboard/mouse (more responsive) it's actually easier to get around but overall is not as good with Th.V.
Thanks again for all the improvements!

--max

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 07:58:53 am »

That Microsoft MCE Media Center Keyboard looks interesting. Kind of big but I haven't seen it in any local stores so it may be a little smaller in person.

I also have a Harmony remote so will look into possibly getting that working with the computer.
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 08:28:39 am »

That Microsoft MCE Media Center Keyboard looks interesting. Kind of big but I haven't seen it in any local stores so it may be a little smaller in person.

I also have a Harmony remote so will look into possibly getting that working with the computer.

I have a Logitech RF keyboard that works great.  The Gyration keyboards are also pretty nice for HTPC purposes (and small).

For a remote -- if you already own a harmony then you might as well.  I really like my Snapstream Firefly remote with Girder though!  That, plus a USB UIRT (not for the remote itself but to control my other A/V equipment through the remote/computer) is the only remote I need.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gappie

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 08:45:40 am »

im using this keyboard from ceratech http://www.ceratech.co.uk/cpages/keyboards/rf/kyb-toughball.htm
i like it a lot. bit rough on the batteries though.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 05:22:07 pm »

I used to have a gyration combo - it was great in general, especially the keyboard. the mouse I didn't like much - not easy to handle in "gyro" mode and the worst part the battery doesn't last that long - a few hours - once you forget to put it back to the recharging station - it's dead and needs 10-15 min to become usable enough to get things going..
My gyro mouse got broken during last new years party and I switched to a BTC keyboard which is RF and has a build-in mouse/joystick (and it was only 29.99 at Fry's) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823110017
But I drive my whole home theater with a harmony remote now - same remote for HTPC/MC12 and all other components. Works great.

I have a Logitech RF keyboard that works great.  The Gyration keyboards are also pretty nice for HTPC purposes (and small).

For a remote -- if you already own a harmony then you might as well.  I really like my Snapstream Firefly remote with Girder though!  That, plus a USB UIRT (not for the remote itself but to control my other A/V equipment through the remote/computer) is the only remote I need.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 09:49:25 pm »

dc:

You like what you seen, huh ?

Well, when youre done, update your equipment a little and try out

Kid Dynamite

It will knock your socks off.

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 09:23:17 pm »

MC12 works out of the box with the Microsoft MCE Media Center Keyboard (with inbuilt pointer thingie) and Remote Control (both are IR based).
So how do you customize it? When it was a separate plugin, you could set the remote's keys to whatever you want.

dcwebman

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 08:13:35 am »

dc:

You like what you seen, huh ?

Well, when youre done, update your equipment a little and try out

Kid Dynamite

It will knock your socks off.
Please explain. The search I did shows this is a former rock band. Is that what you're referring to? And as far as updating my equipment, which I assume you mean A/V equipment, not gonna' happen since what I have is all new because the ex-wife got the previous setup. It will be awhile before any further changes are made.

Regarding a keyboard, I went to Fry's this past weekend and just decided to get a cheap Logitech EX110 keyboard/mouse for the time being. Works fine for me.
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 11:02:16 am »

what I have is all new because the ex-wife got the previous setup. It will be awhile before any further changes are made.

Ouch.   :-\

dcwebman

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 01:03:16 pm »

Ouch.   :-\
The good thing is mine is better!  ;D
Jeff

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 09:20:33 pm »

I'm actually in the process of specing out parts for an HTPC. I found an HTPC case that comes with an MCE compatible remote and IR receiver. Does that mean I can expect this to work with Theater View? Or does it depend on what software is bundled with the remote? Or is it just going to have a Vista driver and Vista will handle it, itself? I have no idea how MCE generally works in this regard. I've only ever just used an IRMAN before, but since it's a serial IR receiver and the new system won't support serial devices, I won't be able to use it.

Here's the case...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 10:15:03 pm »

I've only ever just used an IRMAN before, but since it's a serial IR receiver and the new system won't support serial devices, I won't be able to use it.

Not so fast... http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/homepage.spml

I have one of these for my Mac at work (to control those pesky old RS-323 controllable decks) and it works great.

Pages: [1]   Go Up