INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humble Question  (Read 2069 times)

m.harley

• Recent member
Humble Question
« on: April 24, 2008, 03:08:02 pm »

Another question in my long and distinguished line of dumb questions. I have abouut 45,000 tracks and have managed my db quite well - art, bios, dates, genres...blah, blah.  BUT...  I see you guys talking about a lot of featuers I have never used, and quite frankly, affraid of.  I anaylize every track, upload art and submit to YADB but that is about all I do.  Are there any features that make life easier or are just fun?   I love the software and tell everyone about it but you folks tallk over my head most of the time.  I think I'd like to learn more about the program, but, I do not want to mess anything up.  Anybody have some time and wiilling to discuss a few things I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Humble Question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:34:20 pm »

it seems like you got all things working. the rest is mostly hot air i guess. or the icing on the cake others would say  :).
but it is for sure where some fun begins.  :D
just give a link with a hint on what you dont understand and i think me or somebody else would like to make clear what it is about.

:)
gab

oh.. by the way. i think there are no dumb questions. and if so, dont worry, with only eight posts (presuming you considered them all dumb) you are still far under the avarage and even more under my score.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:23:27 pm »

I would check out nestable fields. They revolutionized the way I organize and navigate my library. I have over 170K items in my library and I can find anything in a heartbeat from one simple view scheme using nestable fields.

See this for some tips.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44825.0

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 12:19:44 am »

If you're not sure about some of the features, just make sure you disable wrting to tags before you do anything, and use a test library. Then go nuts :D

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 07:34:02 am »

From your post, it seems you use MC mainly for audio.
Have you considered dabbling into it for your images and videos (or more)? ...

This thread gives a few more "out there" examples of what you can use MC to organise...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44410.0

Otherwise, was there anything more specific that you'd seen and wanted to learn about?
Most people are happy to help out when they can...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:12:35 am »

This page on our wiki has a lot of helpful information:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

You'll always be welcome to ask for ideas here.  Your kindness is appreciated.

Slope

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 03:25:41 pm »

To me, the most basic, thought useful features are the following:

1. adding personal user library fields or changing the label of standard library fields (options/library&folders/standard user fields respectively user library fields)

e.g. I have user library fields for the type of release (CD, LP, 12'', 7'', 3''), the release's catalogue number (FOKUZ 017, MADDOG 03, etc.) and many more things.

2. adding view schemes for every occasion, say, a scheme that shows you files where certain information is missing, a scheme that dosn't show you files that are mixed or live, etc, enabling you to find anything you may be looking for without digging.

This can be done easily by right-clicking on the 'audio view scheme' then adding a 'new view scheme'. The window that opens up is really user-friendly and easy to use.

Along the way, I have just found out how nice it is to have a separate view scheme for tagging. If you enable 'tagging mode' with 'F4' you can tag directly in the pane with very few clicks.

3. You can adjust the look of MC, for example where the pane should be, what entries you want to show up in the organisation tree, the font and font size, etc.

4. You can customise pretty much everything in MC so it suits your taste. I.e. you can set up the startup volume, the startup window, what information your top display (player display) shows, how long the fades between tracks will be, etc.

5. You might want to change the library backup location to point to a safe location that you backup regularly another disk.

6. Adding a default audio editor like Soundforge so you can cut/sample your tracks in another software with nothing more than one click. (To set this up: Right-click/send to/send to (external)/add edit programs)

7. Organising your file names the way you want them (sounds like cosmetics, I know, but it costs you only a few clicks and can be pretty handy if something goes wrong)
Select the files you want to do this to, right-click and select 'rename files from properties'. In the window that opens you can define everything you can imagine using functions.

I have disabled the 'use "assorted" for artist on multi-artist albums' option and use: [Album Artist (auto)] \if([Label, 0]=[], [], [Label, 0]\/) [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] Field(Catalogue Number, 0)\ for the directory, and if([#, 0]=[], /([Type][Disc Number]/), ) [Artist] - [Name] for the file name. Confuses me every time I look at it, but works perfectly in adding things like the label or catalogue number to the path as long as there is a correlating entry in your standard or user library field. If the album has more than one disc, MC even adds '(CD1)' or '(LP2) to the beginning of the file name, which I really like.

In this thread you will find more infos about it:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45704.0

I'm sure you will be making use of most of those things already. If you wanna make true magic happen I am probably not (yet) the right person to ask, but I hope some of it was useful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up