INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File association problem after uninstalling  (Read 2218 times)

hondo62

File association problem after uninstalling
« on: December 02, 2007, 12:22:23 am »

I have installed the demo version, and decided to uninstall, much the same as asked in this thread:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42420.0

Now both of my networked computers show all audio file types as "MediaCenter.12.File".  Not happy at all.

I have tried the suggestions in the above thread to no avail, and I don't think changing file type in Explorer will fully recover my extensions, as I had a combination of MP3, WMA and WAV's.

Please, OH PLEASE, tell me how to get these fixed.  The only clean copy of music I have left is on an MP3 player, which I dare not plug into my PC for fear it will be corrupted too.

I can play files by right clicking and selecting play with Windows Media Player, but I need my file type extensions restored!

Thanks in advance.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: MediaCenter has hijacked my file types
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:17:52 am »

Have you tried going to Tools -> Options -> Extensions within
MC and turning all extensions off,
then going back to explorer and using the open with
option, ticking Always associate with this program, and selecting
the program you wish to open the files with.

For reference changing the File extension's default program
does not corrupt your media files. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: File association problem after uninstalling
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:56:57 am »

You should only need to tell whatever player you want to use to take control of the file types.

Microsoft probably has information on this.  It's a Windows issue.

hondo62

Re: File association problem after uninstalling
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 10:08:37 am »

OK, I figured this out.  Jim - a Windows issue, yes, now it is, but the change was made by Media Center and not restored on uninstall, leaving it to the user to figure out how to fix.  I call that a problem with Media Center not completely uninstalling what it has done to the user's system.  It is not harmfull to files, but is very alarming to anyone who has not modified this before.

I tried not to say file extension, but I see that I did.  It is the file type, which has to do with default application to open the file.  Using a command prompt window, I could see that the file extension was in fact intact - much relieved at that point.

To fix this, you do indeed go to Tools/Folder Options/File Types as you suggested in the first thread.  Then, for each file extension, when selected from the list, it will now show blank in the "opens with" field in the details block below.  Clicking change, and then select from a list since it has no suggestions, gets you the option to select Windows Media Player, which once selected will then allow all files of this type to have a type description representative of it's extension.

What still worries me, after the fact that the "opens with" field was blanked by Media Center, is that when the field is blank, my computer still defaults to a type of "MediaCenter.12.file" after "completely" uninstalling the software.  I don't see any harm from it, however.

Thanks for the responses, and hopefully my more detailed follow up here can help the next person with this issue.

Hondo
Pages: [1]   Go Up