INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using two copies of MC12 to rate tracks on an iPod  (Read 2253 times)

rumba101

• Recent member
Using two copies of MC12 to rate tracks on an iPod
« on: September 24, 2007, 01:34:42 pm »

Hi all.

Quirk that I discovered.

I downloaded Mediacenter and installed it on my work computer.  I want to rate some songs on my ipod during my lunch break using MC12.  I rated about 30 or 40 songs over lunch.  I checked on these no less than an hour later and the ratings had disappeared on the songs I had rated.  Is there something that I need to check or uncheck on MC212 so this doesn't happen?  I would hate to have to use Itunes to do this.

Piero

rumba101

• Recent member
Re: Ratings disappeared
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 03:18:24 pm »

I should also point out for this issue above the following:

In the Drives and Devices Menu where my ipod is listed, I have made sure that I did not have the "get play stats from handheld on connect" clicked.

Piero

rumba101

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 03:26:30 pm »

In case I wasn't clear above

[/URL][/img]

rumba101

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:50 am »

Guess I am stuck using Itunes for this. 

So bottom line, you should only use MC12 to rate songs directly in the program (on my home computer) and not rate songs on the ipod (using MC12 at work) because the rating won't "stick".

Thanks,

Piero

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:38:47 am »

Did you check the options for the iPod?  You can tell MC to get ratings and playcounts from the iPod if you want.

rumba101

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:54:55 am »

The issue is I want to use MC12 to rate songs on my ipod at work. No matter what settings I use, the ratings don't stick.  What does this mean?  Well, I rate the song, I move on to another song and the previously rated song becomes unrated. Weird!

I made sure that MC12 does not get the ratings and playcounts off my work computer because I manage and sync to my library at home and it seems to muddle things if I use the MC12 at work for anything other than to listen to my ipod at work.  I have tried changing the settings to retrieve ratings from the work computer and it also erases the ratings as mentioned as above.

I am able to rate songs on my ipod using itunes at work.  It is just is slow hell moving from song to song and actually rating the song.  I would much rather use MC12.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Using two copies of MC12 to rate tracks on an iPod
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:57:14 am »

So you're using one copy of MC at home and another at work. 

You might be able to get what you want by syncing both places, but you'd have to try it.

rumba101

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 12:35:36 pm »

So you're using one copy of MC at home and another at work. 

Yes indeed.  Using one at home and one at work.

At work though, I have no music on my computer (They are touchy about that stuff here) so I can't really synch to any music here.  I imagine if I synch to an empty library at work would mean that it would erase my ipod, no?

Perhaps in a future build or something this can be fixed.  There must be demand for people who want to use MC12 at another computer other than their home computer to rate songs directly on their ipod.

If there is another software you could suggest to rate songs on my 2nd computer that doesn't have such a big footprint, it would be greatly appreciated.

Piero

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 02:41:26 pm »

I think I know what you are doing now.  You are basically playing the music through MC from the ipod at work and setting ratings in MC?  The thing with that is I do not think MC writes those ratings to the iPod because you are not actually syncing the songs on to the iPod from that machine.

Another possibility:
I have also noticed with the iPod that if I rate a song on the ipod and then connect it to a computer to use as a harddrive any song ratings I did prior to this disappear.  The same thing happens to playstats.  This is a bug with the ipod and will happen if you use MC or iTunes.  So you may also be running into this.

rumba101

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 03:05:50 pm »

I think I know what you are doing now.  You are basically playing the music through MC from the ipod at work and setting ratings in MC?  The thing with that is I do not think MC writes those ratings to the iPod because you are not actually syncing the songs on to the iPod from that machine.

Ok, you have completely understood what I am doing. Whew. Thought I was confusing the heck out of everybody.  You are right.  I would clarify though. MC does write the ratings short-term but when you click on another song, the rating doesn't stay on the previously rated song.  When I rate songs on my ipod using Itunes, it does write and stay written.  So it would seem that it would be possible for MC12 to do the same.  But maybe MC isn't configured to do so?

Another possibility:
I have also noticed with the iPod that if I rate a song on the ipod and then connect it to a computer to use as a harddrive any song ratings I did prior to this disappear.  The same thing happens to playstats.  This is a bug with the ipod and will happen if you use MC or iTunes.  So you may also be running into this.

This sounds right.  But it doesn't seem to happen with Itunes for me.  Only MC.  Which is why I insist, possibly incorrectly, that MC should be able rate music on the ipod and make it "stick".  This feature would be so cool to me because I would be able to avoid using Itunes to rate songs on my ipod at work.  There is all kinds of lags through Itunes that makes tagging unbearably cumbersome.

craft

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 04:11:22 pm »

null

rumba101

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 09:06:45 am »

this is something that i noticed for a while also, and it's been irritating me ever since, :P
consequently, i just rate songs exclusively on my ipod and then sync it to MC  :-\

Just seems that if it is something that Itunes can do then MC should be able to do it and do it better.  But hey, this might not be as easy.  I am making it sound like you just flick on a light switch to make it work. 

It would seem that having more uses for MC12 would be beneficial though.  Rating songs on an ipod (or other devices for that matter) using MC12 seems like it would be a good selling point for the program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up