INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert .m4a File to mp3  (Read 1997 times)

tboy34

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Tim
Convert .m4a File to mp3
« on: September 23, 2007, 06:51:43 am »

I'm trying to convert some music files that are .m4a files to mp3. But I get an error message saying that I don't have direct show filters installed in the software. I'm not sure where to get this. I have gone to the site to download extra conversion files, but there are only two of them, and nothing that says direct show filters. Can anyone explain and help me with this?  ?
tvk

joh

• World Citizen
Re: Convert .m4a File to mp3
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 08:58:02 am »

There are some articles on the forum about how to install the filters - search for m4a.
Start with: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39509.0

I have found that DBpoweramp ( http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ ) works very well for converting m4a (aac) to mp3, ape or other usable formats.

Good luck! /Olle

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 11:46:17 am »

You may want to try bonkenc I use it to convert mp3's to m4b\a for audiobooks.

tboy34

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Tim
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:19:23 am »

Okay I do use dBpower anyway. I have converted them. I'm still curious though. There isn't a way to convert this file within J River? Or is it a particular kind of .mfa file that can be converted within J River?
tvk

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:20:38 am »

Okay I do use dBpower anyway. I have converted them. I'm still curious though. There isn't a way to convert this file within J River? Or is it a particular kind of .mfa file that can be converted within J River?

MC can convert m4a files if it can find DirectShow filters on your machine to do the job. So the first thing you need to figure out is whether MC is using DirectShow to render the m4a files. By default, MC uses DirectShow if it can find the filters. If that fails it uses Quicktime engine. While you play an m4a file, if you can see the spectrum analyzer on the Current File window, or if you can display Visualization, then MC is using DirectShow.

If MC is not using DirectShow, you need to install some filters. Read more about DirectShow here.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up