INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Playlist, and Send to Device CD = N/A  (Read 2318 times)

kgormanshaw

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
Missing Playlist, and Send to Device CD = N/A
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:58:35 pm »

I installed MJ 8.04 about a month ago, after my husband re-formatted the computer.  I spent the last couple of days compiling a playlist I wanted to burn on a CD.  I selected and send Send To ... Device...  and the entry comes up n/a and won't let me burn.  It has ripped from a CD after the last install, and my husband has burned other CDs.

So I asked it to Check for Updates, and I said yes too fast and installed Media Center 12.  It would burn, but it didn't have my playlist.  I had to uninstall MC to get back to MJ, MJ wouldn't run with MC installed, and now my playlist is still gone.

Where should the playlist be hiding?  I never did uninstall MJ, so I'm hoping it's not lost. 

Why does my CD burn option say "n/a" ?  How do I fix it?

kgormanshaw

• Recent member
Re: Missing Playlist, and Send to Device CD = N/A
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 09:23:04 am »

Replying to my own note to say, my Playlist is back this morning!  Yay.  But I still can't send to the CD burner (and there is a blank CD in the slot).

Kathleen

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:55:30 am »

You should use the "Burn" feature instead of "Send".

This is from the Media Jukebox help file:
BURN FILES

Burning (copying) files to CD

If you have a CD-R drive, you can create your own audio CD's from music files in your MEDIA JUKEBOX collection. You can create data CD's as well. To create a CD:

1. Is your CD-R drive is supported? Check the drive at: www.goldenhawk.com/devices_body.htm.

2. Insert a blank CD to burn to.

3. Go to Settings>Options>CD Writer Settings. MEDIA JUKEBOX will detect your CD-R drive. If you have more than one, select one.

4. At this point, also choose write speed, priority, CD capacity (74 or 80 minute), whether to use "Test mode," whether to "Eject after write," at what percent to normalize before writing, and whether to add a two second gap between tracks. Click "OK."

5. If you have an existing Playlist, artist list, or a Smartlist you want to burn*, just click on that list in the Organization Tree and click on the "Burn" icon located on the toolbar. When your drive is detected, a CD Writer will appear with a listing of the tracks you selected to burn. Check to make sure CD capacity does not exceed 100%. Click "Start" and the CD will be burned.

6. If you want to burn a list of tracks not in an existing Playlist, simply create a new Playlist with the list of tracks to be burned. Now burn this list to CD by following the same steps in 5).

* Audio CD's can only be created from a combination of MP3, WAV, WMA, ASF and JMX file

- These file formats are not exactly correct. The APE v. 3.97 and Ogg Vorbis formats should work as well. The newer APE 3.99 version is not supported in MJ8. MC10 or later is needed for it.

Regarding to Media Center 12 upgrade you need to export your playlists as .m3u files and import the files separately to MC12. Alternatively you can use MC11 for converting an MJ8 library backup file to the MC12 compatible library format (explained in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41606.0).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kgormanshaw

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:10:02 pm »

When I get to this step: ". Go to Settings>Options>CD Writer Settings. MEDIA JUKEBOX will detect your CD-R drive. If you have more than one, select one. "  It detects nothing.  I hit the detect button and nothing changes, it seems to ignore me.

It's an LG CD Burner, and it worked with Media Jukebox before the last install of Windows Vista.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:53:32 pm »

I don't know if MJ8's CD burning works on Vista. MJ8 was designed long before Vista was available.

As far as I know, only MC12 is tested on Vista. I would recommend exporting the MJ8 playlists and/or creating a media library backup and upgrading to MC12. A library backup file contains all file information including the playlists and statistics.

As explained in the thread I linked and in here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40432.msg275639#msg275639 MC11.1 is needed for importing an MJ8 media library backup to MC12.

Here is a "step by step":

1. Save a library backup file in MJ 8.
2. If you use cover art copy the cover art folder from the "MJ8 program path"\Data\ directory to a safe place.
3. Uninstall MJ8 (using the program uninstaller)
4. Download and install MC11.1.
5. Restore the MJ8 library backup file and after that create an MC11.1 library backup file.
6. Uninstall MC11.1 (using the program uninstaller)
7. Download and install the latest MC12 build from the release thread in the MC12 forum.
8. Restore the MC11.1 library backup file.
9. If the MJ8 unistaller deleted the cover folder (I am not sure about this) restore the back up copy of the cover art folder to the original location.

The back up and restore tools' location may be different in MJ and MC. In MC the tools are under the file top-menu: File > Library > Back Up / Restore Library. (You can check the program help file if you need instructions for creating and restoring a library backup file.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jiminkansas66205

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 02:21:10 pm »

Thanks for the information. I am 63 years old and I am not a computer wiz so I am not sure that I understand all terminology, but I'll try. I am not using Vista. I'm using Windows XP Professional. All I have in MJ8 is music. No cover art or anything. I don't know what you mean by "cover folder". I'm sorry if I am being difficult, but I need to know exactly what everything means so I will know if this is going to be easy for me to do. I get frustrated very easily when things don't work the way I think they should. I have put a lot of time and effort into getting about 800 songs from cassette into the program so I can put them on cd's and I really don't want to lose it. Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 02:40:29 pm »

Thanks for the information. I am 63 years old and I am not a computer wiz so I am not sure that I understand all terminology, but I'll try. I am not using Vista. I'm using Windows XP Professional. All I have in MJ8 is music. No cover art or anything. I don't know what you mean by "cover folder". I'm sorry if I am being difficult, but I need to know exactly what everything means so I will know if this is going to be easy for me to do. I get frustrated very easily when things don't work the way I think they should. I have put a lot of time and effort into getting about 800 songs from cassette into the program so I can put them on cd's and I really don't want to lose it. Thanks

If you don't use cover art images then the process is simpler. You can forget everything I said about the cover art folder.

For getting the information you have in MJ8 into MC12 you still need to use MC11.1 for converting the library data because MC12 does not support the MJ8 format anymore.

Hovewer, that doesn't make the the process more difficult - you just need to do the same steps twice. Once when upgrading from MJ8 to MC11.1 and once when upgrading from MC11.1 to MC12.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 03:09:01 pm »

Here are the upgrade steps without the cover art part:

1. Save a library backup file in MJ 8.
2. Uninstall MJ8 (using the program uninstaller)
3. Download and install MC11.1.
4. Restore the MJ8 library backup file and after that create an MC11.1 library backup file.
5. Uninstall MC11.1 (using the program uninstaller)
6. Download and install the latest MC12 build from the release thread in the MC12 board.
7. Restore the MC11.1 library backup file.

The back up and restore tools' location may be different in MJ and MC. In MC the tools are under the File top-menu: File > Library > Back Up / Restore Library. (You can check the program help file if you need instructions for creating and restoring a library backup file.)

MC12 has a 30-day fully working trial, but it does not work after that without a purchased license.

If you have bought the MJ8 license (i.e. you are not using the free upgrade path from MJ7 or use MJ8 in the "handicapped" free mode) you are entitled to a reduced upgrade price.

When you start the purchase process inside MC12 it detects automatically if your operating system has an installed MJ8 license. (The MJ8 and MC uninstallers do not remove purchased licenses).

jiminkansas66205

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 05:37:19 pm »

Yes, I have the license. Thanks for all the info. Also, I have gotten a couple of responses as if I was getting upset with people on here. That's not the case. What is happening is that when I try to go into detail about this problem and by the time I finish, someone else has responded to my questions and I try to go back to that response and answer it.....lol. I am just a little frustrated that my Jukebox isn't working perfectly like it was before. I guess I just type too slow to be on here asking so many questions.  Again, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up