INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few interface suggestions  (Read 1369 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
A few interface suggestions
« on: September 27, 2007, 01:42:14 pm »

As a new user to MC, I'm absolutely in love with the software. That being said, of course it is not perfect. Just over the last few hours I've jotted down a few things that would be nice to see in a future release of MC. These are pretty minor changes and they may have been mentioned before, and there may be a reason they haven't been implemented.

- Can't delete files in theater view. Would be nice if you could at least do it with the delete key

- Navigation with the arrow keys is seamless, yet you can't play a song tis way. You have to hit enter. I know that's not a big deal, but is there any reason why you a right arrow keystroke while on play or play all or something else wouldn't execute this command?

- When importing cover art, if the cover art is on the clipboard, can a simple CTRL+V command be added to paste the artwork on selected files. It beats right clicking and then going through 2 or 3 menus before it goes through.

P.S. In the future should I just post this in the "bugs" thread even though these aren't really bugs? I'm sure there are all kinds of little things like this that I and others will encounter and I would think they are all could be easily implemented.

Great software guys...

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: A few interface suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 03:08:52 pm »

Don't agree with the cover art one really- What happens if there is text on the clipboard for example? (Would it be pasted as a textual image, ignored or what?)
The most recently used menu item should show up at the top of the right-click menu; Useful if you're adding plenty of cover art at the same time, but otherwise IMHO less useful- When tagging, I tend to use several commands from the right-click menu in sucession (Look up tag data on the internet, add cover art etc.)- I'd support customisable menus, so you could 'pin' your most used commands to the top of the right-click menu as an alternative to this :)

Would agree with the arrow-key navigation point to an extent, but sometimes I scroll through the tracks to be played next, and this would be broken with your point. CTRL+ ARROW instead would be a better addition, but again it's the two key-presses, so no real difference!

-Leezer-

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 05:05:26 pm »

Don't agree with the cover art one really- What happens if there is text on the clipboard for example? (Would it be pasted as a textual image, ignored or what?)
The most recently used menu item should show up at the top of the right-click menu; Useful if you're adding plenty of cover art at the same time, but otherwise IMHO less useful- When tagging, I tend to use several commands from the right-click menu in sucession (Look up tag data on the internet, add cover art etc.)- I'd support customisable menus, so you could 'pin' your most used commands to the top of the right-click menu as an alternative to this :)

Would agree with the arrow-key navigation point to an extent, but sometimes I scroll through the tracks to be played next, and this would be broken with your point. CTRL+ ARROW instead would be a better addition, but again it's the two key-presses, so no real difference!

-Leezer-

yeah if there was text or something on the clipboard it would just ignore it i dont think thats asking too much.

you say two clicks but a more natural press, dontcha think.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:08:51 pm »

one more suggestion:

renaming directories can wreak havoc in the library. i think it would be a good idea to have MC12 automatically update folder changes.

For instance if the path to D:/Movies   changed to D:/DVDs   then it would be nice for MC to change that automatically in the library & folders tab under options. i know most peope don't do a whole lot of restructuring of their media storage too often, but when it does hpapen it would be nice for a little more seamless transition.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:31:49 pm »

You should always, always, make all directory structure changes for your media from within MC. It is very easy to do because the Drive & Devices tree behaves just like Windows Explorer. The difference being that when you change a directory, MC also updates its database so everything stays in sync.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »

ah. i didn't think about it like that. i wish i had done that before i tried my own way in mediacenter.

now i've got 2 of every file. looks like i might just clear the library and re-import it. seems like that might be the way to go, eh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up