INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No longer recognizes volume label (DVD-R)?  (Read 1922 times)

finallygreen

• Recent member
No longer recognizes volume label (DVD-R)?
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:44:18 am »

Hello,

OK...I've had a hard time adjusting to some of the things v11 used to do that 12 does not, but I'm hoping there's a sound solution to this one, as this would be the deal-breaker for me....

I keep a large collection of video footage stored on DVD-R discs.  Due to what I thought were really great features for managing such a collection in Media Center, I set up a system where I simply name each disc of video that I burn off with a sequential number (DISC_312, DISC_313, etc.), insert the disc in the DVD drive while in Media Center, wait for the disc to be recognized, add all the clips to the library, and voila....I can find anything at anytime simply by going into Media Center and looking at the 'location' for that particular video.  Now suddenly, since recently 'upgrading' to v12, this isn't working.  I insert the disc, and after a brief pause, Media Center recognizes the disc......both the volume label (DISC_314, etc.), AND the video files on the disc.  However, now when I select all of those videos and do the 'Add To Library', the disc's volume name suddenly becomes 'UNASSIGNED', and the files are added to the library with a location of UNASSIGNED (1), UNASSIGNED (2), etc.

PLEASE tell me this is either an easily fixable bug, or there's some setting somewhere I can change.  I'm gonna be pretty sore if I have to try and 'undo' everything I've done since paying for v12, only to find out that I either have to abandon a system that's over 600 discs deep, or go back to v11 :(

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: No longer recognizes volume label (DVD-R)?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 12:26:21 pm »

In build 284 and later:
Fixed: CDs would incorrectly get filed as "Unnamed Disc".

Thanks for letting us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

finallygreen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:59:16 pm »

In build 284 and later:
Fixed: CDs would incorrectly get filed as "Unnamed Disc".

Thanks for letting us know.

ohh wonderful!

So, is this build not yet available to download?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 01:00:53 pm »

It will be by next week.

finallygreen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 01:17:49 pm »

It will be by next week.

fantastic news....thanks for the responses!

rjm

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:02:45 am »

Excellent!

I have been using a work around for many months. You can manually rename the volume from unassigned to what it is supposed to be and this seems to persist when the disc is subsequently inserted.

finallygreen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:24:57 am »

Quick question on this...

So I've finally made the time to update to the current build, and indeed the volume names now stay intact.  The problem I'm having is that, back when I first discovered this problem, I'd put 4-5 discs in to determine whether or not the problem was my discs (or my burning app), or MC.  After those 4-5 discs I was convinced it was an MC problem and posted the original question here, but now that I'm using a newer build where this is working correctly again, if I go to put those 4-5 discs in from before, MC INSISTS on referring to them as "Unnamed Disc", "Unnamed Disc (2)", etc.  I never actually imported the items from those discs into the library in the first place....I saw that the volume names weren't taking and stopped.  Now, of course, I'd like to import the material from the discs, but as MC 'remembers' these discs, it's decided that 'Unnamed' is what these discs should forever be known as.

How do I get around this problem?  Any way to make MC 'unremember' those 5 discs so it'll actually LOOK and see the proper volume names???

rjm

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 12:22:52 pm »

I have been using a work around for many months. You can manually rename the volume from unassigned to what it is supposed to be and this seems to persist when the disc is subsequently inserted. 

Insert the disc, then navigate to the drive in Drives & Devices and press F2 to rename the disc label. The correct label should persist thereafter.

If you wish, you can clean out the detritus such that MC will think it has never seen the disc before by going into the CD Database and deleting all of the discs labeled Unnamed Disc (*).

finallygreen

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 08:13:38 pm »

If you wish, you can clean out the detritus such that MC will think it has never seen the disc before by going into the CD Database and deleting all of the discs labeled Unnamed Disc (*).

ohh...how would I do this???  I'm trying to steer clear of the 'rename' option, as I think when I've tried that before, it still kept the 'unnamed disc' bit in the disc location field in the detailed (file browser) window...

rjm

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 08:35:38 pm »

First backup your library.

Now create a view into the cd database:
- select Playing Now.
- go to menu Edit\Add View Scheme
- name the View Scheme "CD Database"
- select whatever filters you want in the panes but it would be helpful for one of them to be Volume Name
- in the Step 4 Modify Results Wizard add the rule "Limit database to CD".

You should now see every cd/dvd that MC has looked at. Delete the ones you do not want.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 04:12:52 am »

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but... Some months ago, i've been trying to use DVD-RW's and DVD-RAM's for storage. I bumped into the exact problem that's been discussed in this thread - MC wouldn't recognize the volume labels after reinserting the DVD's.

Now, the question: did anyone try to use DVD-RAM for media storage in MC? In theory, these should be usable like small removable harddiscs, allowing MC to write tags, copy/move files, etc. (if the correct medium is inserted, of course). I don't currently have any empty DVD-RAM's to test this, that's why i'm asking. (;

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 07:15:55 am »

I bumped into the exact problem that's been discussed in this thread - MC wouldn't recognize the volume labels after reinserting the DVD's.
That problem was in a specific build -- please see above.  It was corrected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up