INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Divx 6.7  (Read 2111 times)

relaxed

• Recent member
Divx 6.7
« on: October 07, 2007, 12:56:24 pm »

Since updating Divx videos from Stage 6 will not play within MC12 even if selected from within MC the Divx player is utilised. All other videos from Stage 6 downloaded before upgrading play perfectly. Will this resolve itself in due course within MC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Divx 6.7
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 01:04:49 pm »

Check the DirectShow settings for the file type in MC options for playback.

relaxed

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:57:12 am »

Divx is in the DirectShow list and 'ticked'
However, given that the files still don't play, I assumed that you wanted me to select divx from the list and select something from within it. I do not know whether I should be 'poking about' in this listing and, if so which of the options to select from 6.7 Codec (1 Logical CPU) plus 6.7 YV12 Decoder (I haven't a clue which) and, having done that, what I should select from the opposite menu and finally whether or not I should do anything with the rendering options.
All in all I'm lost. I haven't done anything with MC so don't understand why it will not now play these latest files. I hope you can help me through this but don't understand why, so it seems, I'm the only one to come across this problem.   

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:13:33 am »

If your DirectShow filters have the proper system priority (merit score) then you shouldn't need to muck about in there, other than to check the Divx box.  A couple of questions...

(1) I assume these files have the are in the DivX container (.divx extension)... Correct?

(2) Do the files play back in Windows Media Player?

(3) Can you post a very short example clip that I can try out for you?

Unless they changed the DivX codec a LOT, then libavcodec (the core codec of FFDSHOW) should still be able to decode it.  Perhaps they broke something in Divx 6.7 though.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

relaxed

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:55:19 am »

Thanks for the words.
The files are all kept in a seperate folder for music videos. There's been no problems with that. The divx files save into their own folder and I just move them. When I look at the music video via the drives and devices option in MC it shows most files with the MC logo and indeed one of those that won't play carries the logo. The problematic ones show the divx logo. None of them display any detail - file size etc and the auto import option doesn't recognise them.
All the MC problem files play in both Media Player and Real Player.
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to take a piece out of the files to enable me to send it to you to test let alone post it on a page.
Hope what I've said makes sense.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 02:23:52 pm »

You misunderstood some of my questions, so I'll try to explain better...

Thanks for the words.
The files are all kept in a seperate folder for music videos. There's been no problems with that. The divx files save into their own folder and I just move them.

(1) By the DivX container, I meant the files themselves, not their folder.  Do the files have a .divx extension or a .avi extension?

All the MC problem files play in both Media Player and Real Player.

(2) I assume by "Media Player" you mean Windows Media Player, correct?  "Media Player" could refer to any number of different programs, and I need to know if the Microsoft-provided Windows Media Player (WiMP) works.

For #3, that's really too bad, as it's the most likely way I'd be able to help you.  Where are these files coming from?  How are you making them?  There's no way you can just record a 1 second clip and then encode that to DivX?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 02:27:33 pm »

For #3, that's really too bad, as it's the most likely way I'd be able to help you.  Where are these files coming from?  How are you making them?  There's no way you can just record a 1 second clip and then encode that to DivX?

Ahhh.... They're from Stage 6.  I missed that before.  That explains how you don't know how to edit them.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 02:38:19 pm »

CCCP is handling playback of all of the Stage 6 videos I've tried from inside MC.  To be clear, you do not need to have DivX's codec (no DivX 6.7) AT ALL in order to play these files back.  You ONLY need DivX 6.7 installed if you intend to use it to CREATE videos of your own.  If you are not using DivX in this way, then I suggest you uninstall it and install a more capable video decoding package instead.

If you ARE using DivX to do encoding (video creation) then I'd still suggest you install a more capable video decoding package such as CCCP.  DivX is really best at video encoding, and is lacking somewhat in decoding support.

I'd take a little while if you can and read through this: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

But, to address your particular issue, I'd check this section: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide#What_filters_do_I_need_and_where_do_I_get_them.3F

relaxed

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 12:08:35 pm »

Many thanks. You' disppointed me a little re Divx but you know what you're talking about whereas I just play about so I'm happy to go with your judgement.
I've had a quick look at the pages you mention and, as you say it, will take a little time to 'wade through' them...but I'm sure I'll get there in the end and, if it comes to the crunch,  I'll simply revert to 6.6 which worked fine and then if that's now been screwed up I'll just uninstall it all and get CCCP.
Many thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up