INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow uploading to YADB  (Read 909 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Slow uploading to YADB
« on: October 16, 2007, 02:51:20 pm »

Just uploaded 1100 cover art to YADB, and that went suprisingly fast.
But the track data submitting is painfully slow. I uploaded a test batch of 60 files and it took about 5 minutes!
Is there something wrong with YADB, or are there some complexity issues with my files?

It seems to be 2 steps of submitting. Analyzing and uploading/submitting. The analyzing part is reasonably fast, but the submitting takes forever. What does it analyze anyway?
And what is the policy on albums with various artists? I use different artists on those, and one common Album artist (auto) for each album? YADB handels this correctly?

- Carl
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: Slow uploading to YADB
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 03:03:08 pm »

Submitting a track is a complex process, it takes a (relatively) long time to compare it with previously uploaded tracks to see if it is the same as one of those or new. YADB handles various artist albums: each track has its own artist, and the album is flagged as a "various artists".

j

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 03:04:26 pm »

Track data uses a mathematical representation of the sound for each track.  This takes some time to create, but it allows a lookup (reverse direction) of a track just from the sound of it no matter what the encoding or bitrate.  Sort of a "Name this tune" thing.

You can test it on a file or two by submitting first, then removing the metadata and even changing the name, then doing a lookup.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 04:50:28 pm »

Track data uses a mathematical representation of the sound for each track.  This takes some time to create, but it allows a lookup (reverse direction) of a track just from the sound of it no matter what the encoding or bitrate.  Sort of a "Name this tune" thing.

You can test it on a file or two by submitting first, then removing the metadata and even changing the name, then doing a lookup.

Oh. That's neat. So how about live vs. studio recordings, or remasterd albums vs. not remastered? Is it possible it recognises them too? That might be hard, but I'll sure try to test what you suggested.

As for the uploading time. I will sertainly be able to live with it. Might as well put the HTPC to work while I'm at the office.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up