INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQUEST] Album Artist written into TPE2 instead of COMM  (Read 2176 times)

bugmenot

• Recent member
[REQUEST] Album Artist written into TPE2 instead of COMM
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:40 pm »

Hi,

I would gladly appreciate the Album artist field to be written into the TPE2 frame instead of a COMM frame into ID3 tag. This would improve compatibility that MC still try to keep since using id3v23 instead of id3v24. The TPE2 frame (Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment) is used to keep Album Artist into WMP, WMC, Media Monkey, Slim Server, tagscanner, etc.

For backward compatibility when MC reads a COMM for album artist it should change the tag to put it into TPE2 if it's empty. If it's not empty then the COMM entry from MC should be erased.

I really hope that this request will be added in the upcoming next build.

In the same idea (not to open another thread for this) Would it be possible to use multiple TXXX frame instead of COMM to write MC12 database info into tag? simple refactor to fix this only takes a minute it's far more logical.

thx

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: [REQUEST] Album Artist written into TPE2 instead of COMM
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:27:44 pm »

There's no good ID3v2 standard for this.  Using the band field could cause other problems.

We're listening if other people want to weigh in.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bugmenot

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:53:28 pm »

Then can I personally modify my MC to point Album Artist column to band field?

GThielen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:55:13 am »

I'm having an issue with this as well with SlimServer.  How 'bout a configuration option to set the MC database value to store the Album Artist?  If the database field configured maps to an ID3 tag (like Band to TPE2, I think), then it gets stored in the tag as well.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 09:05:41 am »

In the best of all 'power user' worlds, MC would allow you to map their tag labels (eg. Album Artist) to any of the defined ID3 specification labels (eg. TPE2). That could allow the MC library to subsequently tag in any other players' tag formats (iTunes, WinAmp, Foobar, etc. etc.)

Since there are no standards with how the various players implement the spec, and AFAIK, none of the standalone tagging programs allow this kind of 'tag remapping'--it would be a very interesting power-user feature. Excellent for getting people out of iTunes-only behavior...

brad

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:13:39 am »

Is there any way to write out the Album Artist tag so that WMP can detect/read it?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

sonicbox

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 03:07:15 am »

I assume this compatibility wasn't added?  I remember begging/asking for this years ago, but it fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, Apple's iTunes & Winamp also use TPE2 as Album Artist for MP3 content.  So, like it or not: it's the de facto standard well beyond Microsoft's use. Even Rockbox uses it.  I think it's time JRiver jumps on board and at least offers a full compatibility option toggle.

tuxster

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 02:39:07 pm »

No, it's still not added. 

My workaround is to simply use "Move/Copy Fields..." under "Library Tools" to copy the Album Artist field to the Band field, on a regular basis for new files. As a result, both fields replicate the same info in all my MP3 files. That solves the compatibility problem with a minor hassle.

Of course, it would be really nice, if this compatibility option was simply a checkbox, and saved me the manual labor...

Pages: [1]   Go Up