INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tivo Desktop Beacon with Dual Nic's  (Read 3100 times)

horse

• World Citizen
Tivo Desktop Beacon with Dual Nic's
« on: November 23, 2007, 01:18:49 am »

Finally got round to plugging in the Tivo since switching my main server and now find the Tivo Beacon Service keeps binding to the NIC that is connected to the Internet and not the NIC that is connected to my Private network. Switching the NIC's around did not help. It still only sends out beacons to the Internet :-(

I found there is a registry setting under Local Machine > Tivo > Desktop > Beacon  that seems to allow me to set the adpater in use (I hope)
It is called SelectedAdpater and is normally set using the Tivo Destop application.
Tivo are no help, so am hoping someone can check out what values shoud be used. I tried using 0 and 1 but is looks like it want a string.

Currently have the Internet NIC disabled and all works fine. I know this is not an MC issue, but maybe someone has some additional documentation on the Beacon Service

Any ideas???

Thanks

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Tivo Desktop Beacon with Dual Nic's
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:32:46 am »

Hi Horse,

I found this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=361978
It suggests setting the adapter with the TiVo desktop in TiVo Server Properties. It also notes that with TiVo desktop 2.5, you'll lose this setting on reboot.

You can also use this to set the registry key, then take a look to see the format.

Hope this helps, let us know...

j

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 06:16:13 pm »

Thanks John,

I loaded the Tivo Desktop on another machine and it placed the MAC address in this registry key.
I tried that on the server and it then kept overwriting whatever I put there with 1
The tivobeacon.exe was a later version (and included a Borland Memory Manager dll) than the one MC installed.

That said however, once it started placing a 1 in the registry key, I had a blind flash of the obvious.
It was using the first NIC in the binding order. I checked the binding order of the NIC cards and sure enough the public one was first. Set the private one first, enabled the Public NIC and restarted the beacon. All is now working how I wanted it.

Thanks for the hint that resolved the issue.

"Tech suppport over Thanksgiving Weekend" ------- Priceless!

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 09:49:36 pm »

Cool, glad it helped. I'll check on monday to see if there's a later version of the beacon in the SDK to ship with Media Center... -- j
Pages: [1]   Go Up