INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Question (Rename Properties from Filename)  (Read 1457 times)

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
Tagging Question (Rename Properties from Filename)
« on: October 20, 2007, 11:06:24 pm »

Ok, so this is probably a simple question.

I got a new phone that has a decent camera (lg 8300). I don't have bluetooth on my computer, so I'm forced to aquire my photos from a mini-sd card and reader (and forgoe BitPim, for those who know)

Anyways, each picture file name is 10 digits in a row as follows:

First Pair: Month
2nd Pair: Day
3rd Pair: Year
Last 4: Sequence

So, a typical file might be named: '0814073768' (Photo #3768 taken on August 14, 2007).

Now, how to I fill in the appropriate date digits into the actual file properties so I can maintain my obsessive organization?? Right now, the date fields in the file are the date/time I copied them onto my computer.

I don't care about the sequence # at all...all i want is accurate dates in the tags.

I played around w/ the 'Fill Properties from Filename' a bit, to no avail. Can anyone help?? Thanks!!!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Tagging Question (Rename Properties from Filename)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 01:46:59 am »

You might want to check what is actually in all the images exif tags (select on and got the TAG in the Action Window - it will show you all the values that are stored in the image itself not just the file name).  The default "Date" in MC's Image area is read from teh exif tag for when the photo was taken NOT when the file was created on your HDD.  That being said, I use a prog called "Better File Rename" which is great (but cost $) for mass renaming.
JRiver CEO Elect

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 03:53:29 am »

I faced a similar task earlier this year... I was able to do it in the end with a bit of help.

Check out this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40963.0

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:03:02 am »

This is an unusual problem.  Normally, I think the camera puts the correct date in a tag.  MC has several dates.  Try checking the others.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 05:43:55 pm »

This is a cell phone camera and the pictures don't show any EXIF data (I used MC and a 3rd party EXIF reader tool).

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 05:52:03 pm »

In third-party plugins, check out King Sparta's "Replace master".  Caution--I don't know where it is on current develoopment or if it is still offered, I haven't looked in a while.

Basically (if it's there), this is a file renamer that works within MC on all available MC fields.  At the very minimum, it will allow you to insert separators every 2 digits, which will then allow MC to parse it accordingly.  Also, I BELIEVE you can reassign based on digit place, but it's been a while.

If Replace Master is not available, look for "File Renamer" or some such on download.com.  Insert dashes every 2 digits and you are good to go.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 09:05:36 pm »

Many mobile phones do not write date to the file.

I think the problem here being able to import date fields from a parsed filename... if you have a look at the thread I linked to above, that's where the problem is. Sure you can use KingSparta's plugin to separate the different date fields in the filename (this is what I did), but as far as I know, MC cannot fill the date fields from the filename. Date is stored by MC as a single number -- it's unlike other fields in the database.

It is possible to do, but not natively in MC. MrChriz was kind enough to write a little tool for me which should work for you too. See the thread linked above.

EDIT: Sorry, I stand corrected... it's Time (hour, minute) we can't seem to fill from filename. Year, Month and Day seem to work. Sorry!

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 09:45:58 pm »

Thanks to all. I resolved this problem by downloading the program ReNamer www.den4b.com (unfortuantly, ReplaceMaster is not available) and inserting appropriate spaces and a '20' in front of '07' in the filename.

So, in my original example, the filename went from '0814073768' to '08 14 2007 3768'

Then, I used the MC 'fill properties from filename' feature and used the following code in the filename field:
[Date (month)] [Date (day)] [Date (year)]

This will work for me. Thanks everyone for your replies!

JR: Hopefully the 'fill properties from filename' feature could get a preview screen like the 'rename file from properties' feature. That would have helped a lot in this case!
Pages: [1]   Go Up