INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squeezebox Support? Please? Pretty Please?  (Read 2389 times)

dpippel

• World Citizen
Squeezebox Support? Please? Pretty Please?
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:57:19 pm »

I love my Squeezebox. I love MC. I loathe Slimserver/Squeezecenter. It would be WONDERFUL if you guys would give us the ability to use MC 12 as a front end for Slimserver and stream our MC libraries directly to the Squeezebox. I'd even pay extra for it. Something to consider with Christmas coming up in the not too distant future...  ;D

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Squeezebox Support? Please? Pretty Please?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:03:34 pm »

There is this solution here:

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk/

On my setup, it is very glitchy and has syncing issues, but your mileage may vary.  A built in way of doing so in MC would be great though.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 11:20:51 pm »

On my setup, it is very glitchy and has syncing issues, but your mileage may vary.  A built in way of doing so in MC would be great though.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been there already. It's glitchy on my system as well - stuttering and skipping audio mostly, particularly with internet radio. It's not really workable at all for me which is why I requested native MC support. It would be REALLY nice to have.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:20:38 pm »

Nobody loves me.

:'(

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:48:11 pm »

dpippel,

I think you should direct a request to SlimDevices/Logitech.  Check their foriums for past threads.

I think that some elements of a solution already exist.  Some months ago, the SS developers added an feature for Slimserver to read an input PCM stream from a TCP port.  In several threads there was a mention of third party s/w that redirected an audio output stream sent to a driver to a TCP port.  Put those together

MME output                                  redirected
MC -------------> pseudo-audio device  -----------> Slimserver   ------>  SB3 or Transporter
                                                        PCM stream
Bill

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:50:19 am »

I think that some elements of a solution already exist.  Some months ago, the SS developers added an feature for Slimserver to read an input PCM stream from a TCP port.  In several threads there was a mention of third party s/w that redirected an audio output stream sent to a driver to a TCP port.  Put those together

MME output                                  redirected
MC -------------> pseudo-audio device  -----------> Slimserver   ------>  SB3 or Transporter
                                                        PCM stream
Bill

I don't have a squeezebox, but what you describing seems to have VLC written all over it.  I've used VLC to stream in/out/convert/stream in all kinds of different tests... pretty handy.  It's very flexible in what it's able to do.

In the diagram above, I think VLC would me the "psuedo-audio device', serving the stream to slimserver.  It may also be able to serve a stream directly to the squeezebox itself.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Craig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 06:08:23 pm »

It was never intended to keep MC and Squeezebox insync, this is afaik impossible with the current interfaces. If you're using MC to control a Squeezebox then why do you want to listen to it on MC too? the only glitches are attempts to keep MC in sync enough to detect track changes.

Craig
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 07:14:46 pm »

I think you should direct a request to SlimDevices/Logitech.  Check their foriums for past threads.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already done some mining in the forums over at Slimdevices. The problem, as far as I understand it, is that Slimserver only supports *MP3* streaming. That would nix it for me, as I'd like to be able to send my FLAC output from MC to the Squeezebox and let the Squeezebox do the decompression/decoding. Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to use MC as my front end for Slimserver without compromising audio quality by converting lossless audio to lossy MP3.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 07:16:34 pm »

It was never intended to keep MC and Squeezebox insync, this is afaik impossible with the current interfaces. If you're using MC to control a Squeezebox then why do you want to listen to it on MC too? the only glitches are attempts to keep MC in sync enough to detect track changes.

You can't currently use MC to control a Squeezebox. That's what I *want* to be able to do.  ;D

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 09:12:43 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already done some mining in the forums over at Slimdevices. The problem, as far as I understand it, is that Slimserver only supports *MP3* streaming. That would nix it for me, as I'd like to be able to send my FLAC output from MC to the Squeezebox and let the Squeezebox do the decompression/decoding. Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to use MC as my front end for Slimserver without compromising audio quality by converting lossless audio to lossy MP3.

My reply was about PCM streams not MP3 streams.

Here is one thread from the Slim Devices forum about the pseudo-audio device

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36702

Here is another thread about getting the stream into SlimServer

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35718

Try a bit harder to find a solution on the SlimDevices forum.

> You can't currently use MC to control a Squeezebox. That's what I *want* to be able to do.

You misunderstood what Craig wrote.  His MC plugin does control Slimserver from MC.

Bill

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 09:34:48 am »

My reply was about PCM streams not MP3 streams.

Try a bit harder to find a solution on the SlimDevices forum.

OK Mom. ;D I did indeed miss those threads. Thank you for the links Bill, I'll check into it.

You misunderstood what Craig wrote.  His MC plugin does control Slimserver from MC.

If that's what he meant then I did misunderstand him. And while I certainly appreciate the work he's done on the plugin it doesn't function reliably enough on my system to be a viable option. I guess I'll have to see what PCM streaming via one of the solutions you posted will do for me, although I'd still like to see this functionality built into MC. Thanks again.

Craig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 11:48:32 am »

OK Mom. ;D I did indeed miss those threads. Thank you for the links Bill, I'll check into it.

If that's what he meant then I did misunderstand him. And while I certainly appreciate the work he's done on the plugin it doesn't function reliably enough on my system to be a viable option. I guess I'll have to see what PCM streaming via one of the solutions you posted will do for me, although I'd still like to see this functionality built into MC. Thanks again.

How does it not work reliably for you?
I do have a new slicker version in the pipeline but improvements to the MC SDK haven't really been forthcoming enough to make it viable yet.

Craig
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up