INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From MJ8 to MC12  (Read 1847 times)

jiminkansas66205

• Recent member
From MJ8 to MC12
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:06:20 pm »

I purchased MJ about 4 yrs ago. I copied several cassettes of music into the program to put on CD's. Everything went great.

Early this year, I had to have my computer rebuilt and I lost everything with MJ. I finally got around to re-downloading and restoring the playlist.

When 'ripping' from cd's back to MJ, a few had an error message and the last song was dropped off of the playlist. I never got an answer or satisfaction on the MJ forum, so I am asking here. Why did this happen?

Also, now when I try to record the same way as before, I don't hear the song as I am recording so I know when to stop.

And, when I use Media Editor, it is acting differently now. If I edit a song (cut a portion at the end or beginning) and attempt to save, it asks where I wish to save it. Prior to this, my understanding was that it automatically saved it without asking where and I could just replay the song and the changes were there. Not that way now.

I am really reluctant to change to MC12 because of all the extra things it has that I don't need. If I were to change, would MC12 load right over MJ8 and would the playlists I have in MJ show up in MC 12 without any difficulty? How much work can I expect if I change?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: From MJ8 to MC12
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:13:42 pm »

When 'ripping' from cd's back to MJ, a few had an error message and the last song was dropped off of the playlist. I never got an answer or satisfaction on the MJ forum, so I am asking here. Why did this happen?

This is nowhere near enough information to give you an answer, which might be why you never got a good answer before.  We need to know:

(1) In MUCH more detail exactly what you were doing.  What playlist?  How was it constructed? What do you mean it "dropped off the playlist" (were the files deleted, removed from the list, didn't play, or whatever else)?  What did you click on and how exactly did you get to where you were step-by-step?

(2) What was the EXACT error message?  Whenever you are asking a question about something that happens in a software program, please provide exact error messages as best as is possible.  For those of us who are computer-nerds and unpaid tech-support to friends and family (not to mention online) it makes our blood boil when we see "I got some error message and then it didn't work.  I don't remember what the message was."  The error message is a message for a reason, and the information inside it is important.  If you don't care enough to read it and write it down (and preferably search for the phrase before you ask then we don't usually care enough to answer you.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:56:11 pm »

I am really reluctant to change to MC12 because of all the extra things it has that I don't need.

Besides having additional features MC12 usually does much better the same things MJ8 did. It has higher quality audio components and its database and user interface are more advanced. MC12 has better support for modern PCs and JRiver developes it continuously and tries to fix the reported problems.

If I were to change, would MC12 load right over MJ8 and would the playlists I have in MJ show up in MC 12 without any difficulty? How much work can I expect if I change?

You would need to do a few steps in a certain order. I have explained the needed steps here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42694.msg291123#msg291123
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jiminkansas66205

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:09:21 pm »

What I was doing was exactly what I described. I lost everything when I had to have my computer rebuilt. I re-downloaded MJ8. Then I used my cd's with music and ripped them back into MJ8. Each music cd created a 'playlist' in the program. There were a few cd's, that when ripped, the last song that was on the cd didn't get copied back to the MJ8 program. It was left off. I got this message when this happened...." WARNING.....Failure to read sector 262472. Incorrect function. Would you like to keep trying further tracks? Yes or No". Now I don't know if the sector number was the same on each one, but it was the same message. You asked how it was constructed.........I'm not sure what you mean by that, but when I originally recorded from cassettes to the MJ8 program, every song was done the same. Then when I went from the program and 'burned' a cd, everything was done the same way. I just used the program the way I had always used it. To rip from my cd's back to MJ8, I just clicked on "Rip" and it led me through the process. Then when it got to the last song on the particular cd's, it failed to copy the last song. Also, why am I no longer able to hear the song I am recording off of cassette into the MJ8 program? I was able to when I first used the program. And a couple of other questions that I asked weren't answered in my first post. You mention that if I don't care enough to include the error message, then you don't care enough to answer me. Well, I DID include the message over on the Media Jukebox forum, but I STILL got no satisfaction or help. I have included it here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 02:18:53 pm »

Jim,
I think you're going to get your questions answered, or at least some of them, but would you mind breaking your questions up into multiple paragraphs?  I did it for your first post.  It makes it easier to read and therefore more likely to be answered.

My first guess is that you have a bad drive or at least, one that is incompatible with MJ8.

Did you get MJ8 from our site?  What build is it?  You can copy your system info from MJ Help and paste it here.

Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 02:23:14 pm »

jiminkansas66205

Alex B And glynor Are users like you, and are only trying to help.

JimH Is The CEO Of JRiver
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 02:46:08 pm »

Sorry if you read my tone as harsh... No harshness was intended.  I never saw your previous postings.  However, posts like your original one in this thread are a big pet-peeve of mine.  Be aware, I don't work for JRiver and I any help I provide to other users I do out of the kindness of my heart.  Since you didn't post a link to the old thread in your new thread, the fact that you provided the error message "at some random time in the past" means that I have to go searching for it.  Considering that I am doing this for free and out of the kindness of my heart, this isn't real likely.  My tips weren't meant to be nasty.  I was trying to educate you on what you can do to make your questions more likely to be answered, for now and for the future.

Jim made another very important point.  It may seem simple to you, but when you run your ideas all together in one big paragraph it is hard to read.  When it is hard to read, you might not get as many people willing to take the time to figure it out.  The fewer people who read your question means the lower chance you might get an answer you can use.  To be completely honest, when I got to the line where you said "Why did this happen?" but didn't provide the exact error message or a link to where you had provided it, I skimmed the rest of the post but really stopped reading in detail because I knew without further information I wouldn't be able to help.

That error message means that MJ was unable to read the disc.  This can happen for a number of reasons:

1. The drive may be unable to read the type of dye used in that particular brand of CD-R.
2. The drive may be faulty or may need a firmware update.
3. As Jim suggested the drive may be incompatible with the reading software in some way.
4. The disc may be damaged somewhat.  Using a "secure mode" rip may help.
5. The disc may be dirty.
6. The disc may be damaged completely and the data may be gone.

When the last option (completely damaged) happens, it does often happen at the "end" (or outer edges) of a CD, meaning that it is far more likely to happen to the last tracks on a disc than the first tracks.  CDs are not a perfect (or some would say even very good) long-term archival storage medium.  They are sensitive to light, dust, humidity, and all sorts of other factors.  Discs over 2-3 years old can become unreadable if not stored perfectly.  Recent tests have shown that even with proper storage, most CD-R discs will degrade significantly within 10 years or so.

That's not to say your discs are bad for sure, but they might not be good with that particular drive or with that particular ripping mode.  You could try using MC's secure mode to rip the discs, or use a program like EAC to try to rip them.  You could also try using a different drive.  If you still have access the the burner that actually created the discs, this might be the best bet.

If you are using the original burner still, then it is likely not to be an incompatible drive.  In this case, I'd try:

1. Cleaning the discs thoroughly.  Be careful not to clean them improperly!!  http://www.ehow.com/how_2499_clean-cds.html

2. Re-rip the disc using MC's Advanced Ripping options.  I'm not sure what options are availble in older versions of MC, but things to try in the current build are:

• Change the Read Speed to 1X.  The slower the read the less error prone it will be.
  • Try changing the copy mode to Secure.  If this fails, maybe even try Analog.
  • Disable On-The-Fly encoding.

3. Beg, borrow, or steal someone else's high-quality drive.  Plextor is known for making high-quality reader drives, though NEC, BenQ, and others also make very nice ones.  Try other drives, as they might have more (or less) success reading a damaged disc.

I am by no means an optical disc data extraction expert.  Some other users may be better equipped to give additional advice than I would be.

As far as your questions about the Audio Editor and recording.  I've never used this function of MC, so I can't help you there.

jiminkansas66205

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 06:02:17 pm »

I am just replying to your different scenarios about the discs. I doubt that it is bad discs. Why would it copy every song back to MJ8 except the last one? And, another reason I doubt that it's the discs is that I have a copy of each disc that I made for a friend and I used that to try and rip back to MJ and same thing happened. Also, I used another copy of the same disc.......same thing happened. I got the error that I message previously described. So, if it's a bad disc, then it has to be a highly unlikely coincidence that each one that I use is bad. I have about 22 cd's that I made with MJ and of those 22, the problem occurred with 8 of them. So you see, it was a random thing and they were the same brand of disc. Please don't think I am upset with anyone there. I'm not. I am very grateful that anyone has taken the time to respond to my question. It's more frustration due to the fact that I had a program that I was thoroughly enjoying and it seemed to be working perfectly for my needs and then when I re-download it, it's not "perfect" as it was before. Thanks 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 07:00:11 pm »

One of the tasks I do for work every day is burn discs (I run a CD/DVD duplicator).  For example, just today I burnt about 150 discs for a job I'm doing.  I'd say 90% of all errors in all burns occur in the last track (or last 10%) of each disc.  The fact that 8 of 22 have errors near the outer edge of the burn falls right into line with what I'd expect.  So, to answer your question...

Why would it copy every song back to MJ8 except the last one?

Because that's just the way it works.  When you burn the discs, the speed it burns accelerates throughout the burn.  The faster it burns, the more errors it makes.

Also... You said that they are all the same brand of media.  That leads me to believe that the issue might lie with your drive's compatibility with that particular type of media.  Some brands of drives just don't like some types of media.  Is it the same exact identical drive as the one used to create the discs, or is it a new/different one that you are now using?  What make/model is it?

jiminkansas66205

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 10:13:36 pm »

Well, obviously, you are the expert here, not me. I was thinking that the disc drive was new in January, but it's not. My computer is a Dell and it's the drive that was in it when I purchased the computer. As near as I can find on the billing sheet for the computer, the drive is 48x/24x/48 Max CD-RW. You're asking me technical questions that I'm not sure I can answer, but I'll try. Yes, it is the same exact drive I used to create the cd's. When I look in the Device Manager for the DVD/CD-ROM, it shows HL-DL-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B and SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T. I don't know if that helps any or not. I appreciate your time and effort and I thank you.

To be honest now, this problem with the last song not being copied back to the program is now not my biggest concern. I was able to re-record the songs that were "dropped" and I have them back in the playlists now. I believe you were the person that asked what "playlist". What I am referring to is when you decide which songs you want to have on a particular cd, you create a list. MJ8 calls it a playlist. I was able to have from 28 to 31 songs on each cd. In the MJ program, they are placed in a "playlist". I have 16 "Oldies" cd's and the 'playlists' are from Oldies 1 thru Oldies 16. You can move the songs from one playlist to another. When you record the first song into MJ, it goes to "Recently Imported". Then you create a playlist for it to reside in. I am sure you know about all this, but I am just trying to clarify what I meant.

What I would really like to find out now is why I am unable to listen to the song while I am recording it into MJ. Previously, I was able to listen. It makes it much easier to determine when to stop the recording in case something happens during the process. I keep looking in MJ to see if there is a toggle that I can flip on to hear, but I don't find anything.

Also, the Media Editor is different that before. I hate to keep repeating myself about it, but it is a helpful tool and it made things easier. When I finish editing a song (file) and make my changes (cut out crackles and pops), I close the Editor and it asks me if I want to save the changes. I click to save and it asks where I want to save it. If I remember correctly, back when everything was working great for me, it didn't ask this. It seemed to just save it to wherever and I could immediately play the song and the changes were there. I went through the process this time and even when I attempted to save it to "my documents", the changes I made didn't appear on the song when replayed.

I am just about ready to say the heck with all of this and not bother you with it. I never intended to make a nuisance of myself with this and I was just hoping for a quick and easy fix. I know you have more important things to do than to deal with me. Besides, I am tired of typing so much....LOL. I'm 63 years old and am not a wiz at these things. So please bear with me. Thanks a lot.

gappie

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 07:35:47 am »

one of the things to check is the volume control of windows/sound card.
go to start>all Programs>Accesoires>entertainment>volume control.
a small mixer will open. see if some of the sliders are totally down, or if mute is enabled. i expect that the line in is muted. when you dont see a line in go to options (upper right corner)>properties, and see if everyting is enabled (you get all the sliders). you only have to look under playback.
succes
gab

jiminkansas66205

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 01:17:47 pm »

Thanks Gappie............'line-in' was muted, although I haven't tried recording anything yet, I hope that's what the problem is.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 02:12:31 pm »

It has been many years since MJ8, but playback may also depend on The output mode:

Wave Out
Direct Sound
Disk Writer
And
ASIO

Not Sure If MJ8 Handles ASIO

Also

"Wave Out Settings"

all of this has changed in MC12, but you can find them in the settings in MJ.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jiminkansas66205

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 11:40:11 pm »

Gappie, your suggestion of the "line in" being muted solved my problem of not hearing the song while I was recording. It works now. Thanks a lot. Now if the Media Editor problem can be corrected, things will be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up