INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC crash - in_flac.dll on fresh install of MC [fixed - I think]  (Read 1547 times)

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
  • What if we built a Large Wooden Badger.....

Just changed laptops and installed MC, build 358.  Noticed after doing the install that FLAC wasn't showing up as a file type (I thought that in the latest builds support for FLAC was not part of the program, oh well), so I went to the Skins and Plugins section/Sourceforge.net and grabbed the FLAC encoder (2.2 I believe) and decoder (2.4) - did both local installs and had it install from the website.

Now when I start MC, even if I do a "safe" start and disable all 3rd party add-ins, I get a Windows dialog box stating that Media Center has encountered and problem and needs to close..... When I click to get more information, I am told that the issue is with in_flac.dll, modver 2.4.0.0  offsest 000277d7

What is even more odd, if I move really quickly when i start up MC, and double click on a flac file to play it, before the crash notice, the file plays with no problem, even continues to play after the crash notice comes up.  It will even advance to the next file and play it, the whole time with the crash notice hovering on my display.

Can someone help me out here as most of my music files are now FLAC.  I did NOT have this problem on my "older" laptop and had upgraded MC about 6 or more times on it.

I could have sworn I saw some posts up here before about this type of problem, but my search only seemed to come up with install problems for FLAC that didn't seem to be related.

thanks

EDIT:  I installed the 2.3 flac decoder and got the same basic error (different offset information in the actual error message). 

I also tried to uninstall the plug-in, but the button in the Plug-In manager was grayed out.  So I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to do now.

Edit 2:  see last post for what I did to resolve my issue.

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: FLAC crash - in_flac.dll on fresh install of MC [fixed - I think]
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:11:25 pm »

I think I'm getting good at "fixing" my own problems, now if I just cut down on actually creating the problems.

I think I know what happened (not sure why it happened), and I think I fixed it....

So, when you install MC on a PC, towards the end of the install you can set file associations, in that list, at least on my PC, FLAC was not an option.

I assumed that meant that native FLAC support wasn't installed so I would need to install the FLAC plugins, which is what I originally did which caused the error message I was getting.

So, I uninstalled everything and started over from scratch.

During the 2nd install, again noticed that FLAC wasn't an option for file associations toward the end of the install.

Started the program up after installation, went to Tools, Options, File Associations, and what do you know, FLAC was there as something that could be selected for file association.   Selected it and everything seems to be fine.

Question would be is it just my installation that for some reason wasn't showing FLAC as a file assocation option during installation, or has the installation routine not been updated to reflect FLAC?

Anyway, looks like I am fine for now, until I break something else.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 02:13:59 pm »

We're switching from using scthom's add-on flac plug-ins to including them natively with the player.  So you may have found a problem with that.

Was this your first install?  Or had you previously installed MC12?

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 03:25:20 pm »

We're switching from using scthom's add-on flac plug-ins to including them natively with the player.  So you may have found a problem with that.

Was this your first install?  Or had you previously installed MC12?

On this PC it was the first install of the program (have installed it way too many times on other PCs).

Pages: [1]   Go Up