INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rating type stars in custom fields?  (Read 3565 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Rating type stars in custom fields?
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:09:15 pm »

Is it possible to make custom fields which use the 5 stars which appear in the Rating field?
Since it is already built in so to speak is it just a matter of changing a hidden setting somewhere?
If not could it be added?

I'd like to use a few different rating systems simultaneously and strongly prefer the graphic stars over any other options currently available.
. . . the game is rigged

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Rating type stars in custom fields?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:22:35 pm »

Is it possible to make custom fields which use the 5 stars which appear in the Rating field?

Not That I Know Of.

It Has Been Requested Before, Along With 1\2 Star Rating.

I would not care for the 1\2 Star Rating, But I Would Like To Have One For Me And One For My Wife. So We Could Rate The Music Together.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 04:55:41 pm »

Off the bat I am looking for:
Album Rating
Track Rating
Sound Quality Rating

And if I think about it I know I can come up with a few others that can be useful, however I'd likely stop with 3 sets maximum as any more would begin to clutter the screen and cause the stars to lose their effectiveness as a stand-out.
. . . the game is rigged

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:14:57 pm »

I have suggested this:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36753.msg250682#msg250682

That kind of system could be used for as many custom rating fields as desired.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:24:47 pm »

Just wanted to show you my support in this matter.

I've been hoping for this for a long time now.
Using Track, Album and artist rating today with numbers 1 to 6 (that's why I also need half star rating, but JimH or Matt told me it would not appear in MC12  :().
It's ok to use numbers only when you're making smartlists, but do not work well for detail viewing. Need to be able to add stars (and prefferably costom star graphics) to new library fields.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:39:52 pm »

Is it possible to make custom fields which use the 5 stars which appear in the Rating field?[...]

I'd vote for this to!

But I'd prefer to keep it small and simple so I think there shouldn't be a half-star-rating.

RacheRock

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 11:52:50 pm »

I'd like to add to the rquest for a proper star rating feature please.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 05:35:59 pm »

I vote for this.

enigman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • thinking...
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 01:12:50 pm »

Bump Bump.

This would be a great feature.  Custom fields were what turned me on to MC in the first place - and custom rating fields would be sweet for any number of purposes!

MusicHawk

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 01:55:14 pm »

I'd like this too.

The perfect general solution would be to allow identical, total control over the data type, behavior and display characteristics of all custom fields (and perhaps some "standard" fields).

While we're wishing, how about similar behavior/display control over view columns, so a column could display data differently in one view than another, and/or differently than in the properties field. For instance, a rating field might show a numeric value in one place, because it uses the least space and is easy to edit by typing (or even to compute from other values), but show a set of stars in another place -- all under user control.

Compute? Sure, assuming the "star" rating is actually stored as a number. Maybe the user assigns codes or scores to different aspects of a recording (as is done in music catalogs), and the user creates a formula to combine and weight these values to determine a summary score which is then displayed via a rating number and/or stars, and/or used to control smartlists.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 02:03:39 pm »

I've been asking for this for years.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 02:57:53 pm »

I'd like to use a few different rating systems simultaneously and strongly prefer the graphic stars over any other options currently available.

I'd like to add my plea for this too.

Thanks
Cosmic

johnnyboy

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 04:38:30 pm »

Me too so I can do Album Rating.

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 01:54:09 am »

And I desperatly need it for both album and artist rating.

I'd also put in my strong request for half star ratings (though I know it will probably not come before MC13). And I'll keep mentioning it! :)
Know there are a few here that would like to keep it simple, but why not just stick to full stars only then? Could even throw in a full star lock so it can't be set to half by accident. Don't really see the problem with a more granular system.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 02:15:24 am »

I've been asking for this for years.

I've lost count of how many times this has been asked which must make it...

THE MOST IGNORED USER REQUEST EVER !!

:D

Actually, I want even more

..the ability to use graphical icons in a custom field.

Notice how you have cover art as tiny icons for each line item

How cool would it be to able to use your own art, thereby having graphical icons in a custom field, instead of just BORING text.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 02:51:41 am »

Actually, I want even more

..the ability to use graphical icons in a custom field.

Notice how you have cover art as tiny icons for each line item

How cool would it be to able to use your own art, thereby having graphical icons in a custom field, instead of just BORING text.

I'm an artist by trade, so I'd love this cool feature too. 8) I love being able to customize visually how a program looks & feels. I'd really love to replace the "boring text"

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 06:46:51 am »

THE MOST IGNORED USER REQUEST EVER !!
Why do you say ignored?  That people request something (a music only player, for instance) doesn't always mean we do it immediately.

And often, when we make a requested change, the "silent majority" lets us know it was the wrong thing to do.

We read your posts.  We don't ignore them.

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 07:03:15 am »

And often, when we make a requested change, the "silent majority" lets us know it was the wrong thing to do.

I belive those people are missing the right threads, and first notices the changes in the new builds. Overall I belive that most of the feature requests at this forum are good ones, and that most people would like to see them implemented. If there are bad once I think the thread would get some negative feedback in most cases.
It's often easier to point out the flaws than to give credit for a job well done, but I hope the positive feedback you guys recieve surpass the negative.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:44 am »

I can see your point.
But in cases like this where it is adding the ability to do something additional, I don't see why someone would have an issue with the change as they aren't forced to make use of this (unlike major GUI or menu changes).
. . . the game is rigged

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 09:15:33 am »

Reading this thread made me think of something cool I noticed in iTunes... probably the only cool thing I have seen in iTunes, actually...

iTunes does an automatic Album Rating, which, as far as I can tell, is an average of all the indivdual track ratings. That would be a really cool addition to MC, in my book.

benn600

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 09:16:53 am »

Sorry for the slow response...it's been a minute and 20 seconds.

I thought album rating already existed.  It does.  All you have to do is view albums and things get averaged.  I'm sure I saw that at one point.  Anything calculated is a piece of cake with custom fields, too.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 12:44:59 pm »

Sorry for the slow response...it's been a minute and 20 seconds.

I thought album rating already existed.  It does.  All you have to do is view albums and things get averaged.  I'm sure I saw that at one point.  Anything calculated is a piece of cake with custom fields, too.

You're right. I'd forgotten all about that. Unfortunately, it's only viewable in a view that's not terribly useful to me, and one that I never use. I guess what I'd like to see is something similar to how iTunes shows it, floating beneath the album thumbnail when you're using a Pane/Details view with Album Grouping.

benn600

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 01:13:55 pm »

What about making your own custom field calculated appropriately?  I'm not at MC now otherwise I'd look into the details of creating one.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 01:15:35 pm »

I guess what I'd like to see is something similar to how iTunes shows it, floating beneath the album thumbnail when you're using a Pane/Details view with Album Grouping.
Got a pic for us to see ?

I've used a custom field which i input the album rating manually for yrs now. Much more useful when sorting in viewschemes.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 05:26:18 pm »

Got a pic for us to see ?

Sure...

First, here's the only view I could find where MC shows an Album rating based on averaging the track ratings:

It should be noted that it took me quite a bit of clicking to find just the right combination of view settings to get that to show.

And here's MC's Album Grouped view:

Which, you can see, is really similar to this view in iTunes:

With the obvious exception that iTunes shows the averaged album rating beneath the album thumbnail. It should also be noted that, even though the album rating in this screenshot is an average of the track ratings, you can still click on those stars and manually rate the album as a whole.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 10:31:33 pm »

With the obvious exception that iTunes shows the averaged album rating beneath the album thumbnail. It should also be noted that, even though the album rating in this screenshot is an average of the track ratings, you can still click on those stars and manually rate the album as a whole.

Can you use that in a viewscheme tho..

..to find best-of's by year, genre, artist etc.

just by setting sort options ?

otherwise its just cosmetic

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 07:36:20 am »

Can you use that in a viewscheme tho..

..to find best-of's by year, genre, artist etc.

just by setting sort options ?

otherwise its just cosmetic

When has JRiver ever built in a new feature that's purely cosmetic? Apple may be the L'Oreal of the computer world, but MC has beauty and brains. :)

My point was that they've already built in the functionality to average out the album rating, so why not bring it into the light a little more? I don't see any reason it couldn't be used in view schemes or sorts just like any other calculated field. I just thought that the way iTunes displays this information makes a lot of sense. It's pretty clear just by looking at it that it's the album rating.

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 10:14:54 am »

Ahah, this topic comes up regularly :) I fully support the request !
About the average album rating, I've got a minor request : could the average star value be rounded instead of truncated ? If you plan to make rating modification and find some time to include this one, I'd be happy to have some 5 stars rated albums ^^
Thx in advance.

Raph
Pages: [1]   Go Up