INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropping into a playlist results in random position if playlist has >23 items  (Read 1819 times)

jens

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

When dragging and dropping an item into a playlist in the tree, I would expect the item to be added at the end. This works if the target playlist has less than 23 items. If the target playlist has more than 23 items, then the new item is added at a random position.

Example
Playlist A
   Song1
   Song2
   Song23

If I drop a song NewSong into the playlist, the result is

Playlist A
   Song1
   Song2
   Song23
   NewSong

If I now drop another song BrandNewSong into the playlist, then the result is

Playlist A
   Song1
   Song2
   BrandNewSong
   Song23
   NewSong

Sorting on Playlist A is set to "seq [a-z]". When I use Send To to add a song to the playlist, the song is always added at the end as it should.

This is in build 12.0.358, and seems to have been broken sometime after build 12.0.158.

This is a big issue when building playlists that depend on any kind of order.

Does anybody have any idea/advice?

jens

• Recent member

Can anybody repro this? Thanks!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I made a new playlist. I can see it in the tree, and I see its contents in the action window.

If I drop tracks onto its tree item, I see them being added to the end of the list in the action window.
I started with 22 tracks then tried adding single and multiple selections. They were always added to the end of the list.

jens

• Recent member

Thanks for trying! I am able to repro this on two indepenent machines now.

On one machine, I had 12.0.158 which did not show the problem. I upgraded to 12.0.363 and repro'd the issue.
I then uninstalled MC, choosing to remove registry entries, but keep libraries. I reinstalled 12.0.363. Same issue.
I uninstalled again, this time choosing to also remove libraries. I reinstalled 12.0.363. Same issue.

Is there a location where I can find the install package for 12.0.158? It's the last version that I know works.

jens

• Recent member

I am also noticing that it's pretty random. I just repro'd again, and it started happening after 35 tracks.

Can somebody else try to repro? I'm DJing a big event this coming weekend, and it will be difficult to do with this behavior. Thanks!

marko

• MC Beta Team

If I now drop another song BrandNewSong  into the playlist, then the result is

Could you explain exactly how you're dropping the songs? you know, where you're dragging them from/to etc.

When I tested above, I grabbed tracks from a viewscheme file list and dropped them onto a playlist entry in the tree on the left. When doing this, the tracks were added to the end of the playlist. I tried three different times, some with single track selections and some with multiple selections.

Have you tried using the action window?
You right click on the playlist and choose "Edit" from the menu. This opens the playlist in the action window, where you'll see two options, "Drop here to play" and "Drop here to Add"
"Drop here to add" should add the tracks to the end of the list, or if you want the tracks to be added in the middle somewhere, then drop them where you want them in the list. The target should be highlighted by a heavy black line.

-marko.

jens

• Recent member

Thanks Marko. Here's a full repro case:

1. Fully uninstall MC, including registry entries and libraries
2. Install 12.0.363
3. Import a folder(s) with a total of more than 50 tracks into the library
4. Create a new playlist
5. Click on Audio, and drag+drop the first 30 tracks from the filelist on the right onto the playlist in the tree on the left
6. Drag and drop an additional track into the playlist

EXPECTED: last track is added at the end, as seq=31

RESULT: last track is added in the middle, as seq=13 (the actual wrong position is random). This is reflected in both the action window (which opened by default when I created the new playlist), as well as when I click on the playlist to see its contents on the right

Right-clicking on the playlist gives me "Edit Playlist in Action Window", but I don't see the two options you mentioned - all it says is "Drag and drop files here". Which makes me wonder - are you using the same version of MC as I do?

And yes, I can drop a track either into the middle of the action window, or on the text "Drag and drop files here" (which adds the tracks to the end), but I need access to all my playlist groups and playlists while I DJ, so I can't give up the screen estate by having the playlist open in the action window. Right-clicking on a track and choosing Send To->Playlist->PlayListA works too, and adds the track to the end, but that's too cumbersome for repeated use as I build DJ playlists on the fly.

Instead, I want to drop a track from the filelist on the right side (either a view scheme file list or another playlist), and drop it on a playlist in the tree, and I need the track to be added to the end, not randomly in the middle. As I said, this was how MC worked at least until 12.0.158, and the behavior I see now is consistently different on two machines for 12.0.363.

Thanks again for looking at this.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

What if you use right-click > Send To > Playlist?

Does that always put the files at the end?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jens

• Recent member

Yes it does, but as I said above, that's not what I need. I am building playlists on the fly during a live DJ gig (toggling to a different playback zone, with headphones, through multi-channel soundcard, etc.), so I need something quick and easy like simple drag+drop, instead of right-click, select, scroll, select...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Yes it does, but as I said above, that's not what I need. I am building playlists on the fly during a live DJ gig (toggling to a different playback zone, with headphones, through multi-channel soundcard, etc.), so I need something quick and easy like simple drag+drop, instead of right-click, select, scroll, select...

I'm just trying to troubleshoot.  So it's only dropping into the Action Window that's a problem?

For what it's worth, once you use a Send To it goes to the top of the right click menu for next time.

jens

• Recent member

Please see above for a full repro. Dropping into the action window works. Dropping onto a playlist icon in the tree is the problem.
And yes, the right-click path gets shortened, but it's still a lot more mouse movement/clicks than a simple drag+drop.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I can reproduce it, so look for a fix in the next public build.

And thanks for your help.

jens

• Recent member

Ah great! Now I'll wait for the miracle that the next public build will happen before Friday night when I DJ a big gig ;) No pressure of course, it'll be great to have this fixed when you can fit it in! And thanks a lot for your responsiveness!

marko

• MC Beta Team

result :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up