INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sudden cd ripping trouble  (Read 3071 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
sudden cd ripping trouble
« on: November 03, 2007, 04:26:41 pm »

hey all -

i went to rip a cd today. i haven't changed anything (in MC11, in my system, or hardware), but now, all of a sudden, i get an error:

"Read track failed. Failed to open wave."

it's happening with any cd i try in either of my drives, however, it plays just fine and rips in other programs. here is my system info:

Media Center Registered 11.1.200 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2392 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 482 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D: YAMAHA  CRW-F1E           Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-3500AG  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS.0\Media\Windows XP Exclamation.wav

Burning /  Drive D: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:44  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3500AG   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: sudden cd ripping trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 05:06:42 pm »

You could first install the last MC11.1 version from here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36448.0
The ripping system didn't change between the v.200 and v.201, but a reinstall might help if a file is corrupted.

C:\WINDOWS.0\Media\Windows XP Exclamation.wav
This line looks suspicious in your system info. Do you really have Windows installed in the Windows.0 folder? Maybe the missing sound file causes an error state. You could try to disable the "Play sound after ripping" option in Options > CD.

In general, I would recommend using the Secure ripping mode, it is slightly slower than the Normal mode, but it can correct small disc errors. You may want to check this thread out for more info: Topic: How can I ensure quality of a ripped music file
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 06:15:12 pm »

Could also be disk space or bad drive.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:08:57 pm »

You could first install the last MC11.1 version from here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36448.0
The ripping system didn't change between the v.200 and v.201, but a reinstall might help if a file is corrupted.

cool, i will give that a shot - thanks.

C:\WINDOWS.0\Media\Windows XP Exclamation.wav
This line looks suspicious in your system info. Do you really have Windows installed in the Windows.0 folder? Maybe the missing sound file causes an error state. You could try to disable the "Play sound after ripping" option in Options > CD.

nope, that's the folder i have windows in. when i upgraded from 2K to XP, that was where it wanted to install, so i just decided to let it.

In general, I would recommend using the Secure ripping mode, it is slightly slower than the Normal mode, but it can correct small disc errors. You may want to check this thread out for more info: Topic: How can I ensure quality of a ripped music file

secure doesn't work with one of my drives (the external dvd), so i just left it off, but i'll try that on my other drive as well. thanks for the tip!

micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:10:26 pm »

Could also be disk space or bad drive.

nope, good on both of those fronts. i have several gigs free on that drive, and those drives play fine in MC and rip fine with EAC.

micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 09:19:04 pm »

ahh, problem solved! thanks, guys. turns out my temp drive setting was a drive H, which i don't have (and don't think i ever have had). a change back to my music drive worked. ripping happily...beers for all!  ;D

micah

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 09:34:50 pm »

Thanks for reporting the solution.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 09:36:24 pm »

no problem - i don't want to keep you in suspense on a saturday night.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up