INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 on Mac/Leopard/Parallels  (Read 2626 times)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
MC12 on Mac/Leopard/Parallels
« on: October 28, 2007, 05:34:04 pm »

Thought you might be interested MC12 works beautifully on the new Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) under Parallels.

Parallels gave me a time-out error on my C drive (definitely not an MC issue) but I can view C with no problems.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC12 on Mac/Leopard/Parallels
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:45:17 pm »

Thanks for the report, Tim.

TimB

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:58:33 pm »

My pleasure. ;)

-=Tim=-

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 01:26:09 am »

Would be interesting to see what glynor makes of this, thought he said earlier Parallels did not work too well and was considering using vmware instead.

TimB

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 04:56:51 am »

I've probably said this elsewhere but I've used MC for 5 years now I'm far being from a power user of MC, I mostly rip (which I haven't done with Leopard yet). move songs to my iPod (which I also haven't done yet so maybe I should just shut up ;) ) and play (and organize) MP3s so I'd also be interested in Glynor's feedback. :)

I now have MC in its own Space as it usually just sits around and does its thing. :)

-=Tim=-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 09:38:20 am »

Would be interesting to see what glynor makes of this, thought he said earlier Parallels did not work too well and was considering using vmware instead.

I haven't been brave enough to try either on my laptop.  It's working quite well under Bootcamp, and I haven't taken the Leopard plunge yet.  I will get into that rotten stuff soon enough though.

I'm NOT doing Parallel's again.  I'm extremely unhappy with the way their uninstall process worked and I had numerous issues with it (I think that it works better with the non-pro Mac systems with the Intel integrated graphics).  I'll be trying Fusion sometime in the near future.

I should reiterate though.  Bootcamp with OSX 10.4 and Windows XP SP2 works BEAUTIFULLY with the latest (now officially expired) beta of Bootcamp (1.4).  I've had no issues really whatsoever with MC or any other applications.  I do have some graphics card instability, but only at boot time.  Occasionally when I first boot the system up it will freeze just when loading the ATI drivers (it used to be about 50% of the time, but now with the latest drivers it's only about 5% of the time).  Rebooting again fixes it.

I think this is an issue specific to my particular model of MacBook Pro (and perhaps my particular unit).  They run the video card underclocked from stock in the MBPs.  When booting Windows, until the ATI drivers load, the GPU runs full-tilt.  This overheats it, since it is crammed into a little tiny aluminum box.  Apparently, Apple will fix the problem but only if you have issues in OSX (Windows isn't officially supported).   I've never had the smallest hiccup in OSX though -- Only Windows.  I've read online about people doing things to force the problem to crop up in OSX and then getting the motherboard replaced under warranty, but it's never been that big of a deal to me (its only occasionally and I just reboot it).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

TimB

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 03:59:26 pm »

I'm NOT doing Parallel's again.  I'm extremely unhappy with the way their uninstall process worked and I had numerous issues with it (I think that it works better with the non-pro Mac systems with the Intel integrated graphics).  I'll be trying Fusion sometime in the near future.

I haven't had to uninstall Parallels but it was a bear to get going the first time, no problems now on a Mac Pro.

-=Tim=-

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 04:07:45 pm »

I haven't had to uninstall Parallels

Mac For $100, What Is A "Parallels"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 04:08:34 pm »

It's a cologne favored by many Mac users.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 10:08:52 pm »

It makes you smell like fresh air--almost as if you had Windows open...

brad

TimB

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 05:37:47 am »

Its the program that means I don't have to use iTunes. :)

-=Tim=-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 08:14:46 am »

Its the program that means I don't have to use iTunes. :)

+++

;D

To give you a "real" answer, King... Parallels Desktop (and VMWare's Fusion) are programs for MacOSX that allow you to run a "virtual" copy of Windows inside of OSX, which allows you to run Windows-only applications without rebooting the computer into "true" Windows by using Apple's Bootcamp software.  They both have modes where it "fakes it" and can run Windows applications as though they were actually OSX applications (so they aren't inside the smaller virtualized Windows window).  In order to use these applications, you need to purchase a copy of Windows (full version, not an upgrade license) and the virtualizing engine app, and then you "install" windows into the Virtualizing engine.

Since Apple computers are now just vanilla x86 (Intel) machines, the virtualized copy of Windows can run at essentially full speed.  In the "old days" Macs could run virtual windows, but it was horribly slow and unusable due to the code translation.

I tried Parallels Desktop on my Apple MacBook Pro, but was very unhappy with how it worked.  Mainly, I couldn't get MC to run in Coherence mode (the mode like I described above), it caused errors and issues with my network card in "regular" Windows mode, and I had external USB drive issues.  My main issue was that it was completely impossible to uninstall from the Windows side if you didn't like it (and especially if you let the trial expire).  I ended up having to wipe Windows off of my computer completely and reinstall from scratch because of Parallels, and that (to me) is completely unacceptable for trialware software.  However, there were other things that I didn't like about it, and the support seemed terrible.  (They seem to have the type of forum that we all reported we DON'T like in that "other" thread -- the ones where the developers don't listen, most posts have 0 or 1 responses, and there is an attitude of "you're doing it wrong" if you report that something doesn't work quite right.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

TimB

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 08:47:15 am »

However, there were other things that I didn't like about it, and the support seemed terrible.  (They seem to have the type of forum that we all reported we DON'T like in that "other" thread -- the ones where the developers don't listen, most posts have 0 or 1 responses, and there is an attitude of "you're doing it wrong" if you report that something doesn't work quite right.)

Very true, I think they've hired folks to do their online support as their boards are far better now.  Clearly they don't have developers as cool as JRiver's. ;)

-=Tim=-

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 06:27:47 pm »

I use Parallels under (the now old) Tiger 10.4.10. and it works perfectly.  Over the past few months, I have been migrating various programs from Win to Mac and I am now only left with MC12, DVDFab and Suunto Dive Manager.  All of these operate 100% as expected under Parallels.

The only note of caution is that you have to stop iTunes in the underlying MacOS from grabbing your iPod when you plug it in.  Then Parallels asks if you want to associate the iPod with it rather than Mac, and everything is normal from then on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up