INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: home system, seeking advice  (Read 3495 times)

goose2

• World Citizen
home system, seeking advice
« on: November 19, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

I am about to realize a long-term goal of many years......a new building incorporating living quarters, workshop (my business), office, and art studio.....all under one roof. The time is drawing near to consider wiring for a data/media system that will hopefully serve my needs for years to come. Since the scope of this phase of my project is somewhat beyond my knowledge, I'm hoping to gather some advice from those of you with more experience and expertise. I love MC and am fairly familiar with it so I think I'd like to use it as  the foundation for this system. I also want everything hard-wired, I don't trust wireless and the technology is still evolving.

What I think I'd like to achieve:
   -Computer access to all my files in the office and workshop.
   -Access to cable HDTV and computer audio, photo, and video files on 
          HDTV in living area...(one location only for the TV).
   -Tivo functionality in the living area.

Gear I already have:
   -2 fairly powerful desktops with lots of hard drive space.
   -Tivo series 2...will probably upgrade to HD model.
   -2 complete surround sound systems (amps, speakers, subs, etc)
   -Plasma HD TV.

This should be a fairly simple system, I know, but as I start to consider the different ways of putting it together, I can see the permutations growing, and I don't want to find myself wishing I'd done something different in a year or two. I also have a real-world budget to consider, so the "just cover any eventuality" shotgun approach won't work.
   Anybody care to offer their opinion?

Thanks!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: home system, seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:40:39 pm »

Coffee Pot (Folgers)

Microwave (1000+ Watts)

Pop Corn

Small Fridge

Clock (Digital, Red LED) Your Eyes Tend Not To Focus Correctly With Greenish\Blue Displays More So When You Get Older.

More And Larger Circuits (I Made This Mistake Once)

I Need A HD TV Too, Maybe When This TV Blows Up

I Am Always Amazed At Some Of The Media Rooms People Show US In Pictures In This Forum.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:47:22 pm »

Clock (Digital, Red LED) Your Eyes Tend Not To Focus Correctly With Greenish\Blue Displays More So When You Get Older.

King - I don't think the color matters that much, the eyes tend not to focus correctly on anything when you get older.  :P

Goose - not many suggestions, except don't discount wireless. UPnP will drive the HDTV through some device (streamium perhaps? double check me to make sure it will send HDTV signals), or you can use a computer. UPnP is limited to browsing, you can't create playlists on the fly, or edit tags...

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:17:02 pm »

eyes tend not to focus correctly on anything when you get older.

Yes I Know.

This is something I had to study for flight school, JimH may have had to study it for his Certification and check ride.

Here Is Some Good reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 11:18:30 am »

eyes tend not to focus correctly on anything when you get older.
sad but true.....I told my wife the reason we needed the big TV was to be able to read subtitles on foreign movies better...I think she bought it ;)

I guess what I'm really looking for here is some education on how to use MC to interface with my TV and other computers on a home network. I've used MC for years but only to manage my music collection. I've got lots of questions about what is possible and how to achieve it. There has been some discussion recently on the forum about the difficulties a novice media geek faces when trying to unleash the full potential of MC. Well, I fall into that category. I've spent lots of time on JRiver's website and reading forum posts, and I'm still needing guidance. When I've needed specific answers or solutions to a particular problem, the forum has been extremely helpful and friendly, and I appreciate that, but when it comes to MC's more esoteric (to me) qualities, I don't know where to turn. If these are the kind of issues no one here cares to address, I think you are doing yourselves and a great product a disservice. Maybe MC is not intended for the mainstream user at all and I should look elsewhere. If that is the case, I apologize for wasting your time.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 02:57:56 am »

I have a lot of experience setting everything you want up in my house.  I'm a big fan of having everything easily accessible in any location and always looking to expand my options.

You absolutely want to consider a server.  Depending on your needs, just grab an old PC and a few drives.  You should consider RAID but never rely on it for your data's protection.  Keep the most important data on CDs and DVDs and burn multiple archived copies.  Big books that hold 300+ discs are great.  My aunt has over 7,000 CDs and DVDs of photos ( 10 - 360 disc cases * 2 -- onsite/offsite).  I personally have more of my data on our server but I've invested in a very large server.

On your server, be very neat and clean.  Try to start with your files carefully organized.  Organization, in my opinion, is a huge part of usability.  On your server, you should figure out how many drives you're going to use.  I personally prefer having a single drive letter because that means one single share across the network.  So you may need RAID to get a large, single drive.  Then, here is my root folder structure on my server:

Backups, Installers, Large Scale, Music, Pictures, Podcasts, Users, Video, Web Site

Backups has an Email and Database folder.  I'm using hMailServer and have our email backed up three times daily.  It's just us four users and is under 500MB of total data.  Database is my MySQL databases all backed up three times daily.  I run several sites for different projects and such with lots of personal PHP sites, etc.

Installers has Drivers, Formatting Resources, KIP, PocketPC, Server, Workstation, Serial Numbers.txt.  I keep everything that I need to reformat our computers here.  I reformat our computers usually once per year in the summer.  With every computer reformatted, I use Logmein and control them all.  I run through all my folders and install our must-have software base.  Since it's all on the server I don't have to download multiple copies of everything.  It is a 3 solid day project but has been sped up significantly lately.  Formatting Resources has registry files that setup the My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, & Desktop folders to point to the server.  I have several other registry files to setup various programs and hide the recycle bin, etc.  So on each computer/account I execute all the .reg files.

Large Scale contains miniDV video mainly and is usually several hundred gigabytes.

Music is our 100% FLAC music collection with hand-scanned 1200x1200 cover art, 355GB

Pictures is our entire digital picture collection.  I organize it by year (2005, 2006, 2007) and then a single folder for each event (2007/12-25 Christmas at Home).  This way I examine every photo and keep photos taken at the same event in the same folder.  Plus, general information is built into the folder structure and easily searchable through MC without requiring the database.

Podcasts is just my folder for containing my ~5 podcasts I follow.  I use Juice to download them on my server and have it setup to automatically call ffmpeg which converts the files and moves much smaller versions to my Web directory where I can stream them to my iPhone over the cell network with very little delay (lower quality).

Users is our complete directory for everyone's personal data.  Notice the music and pictures folders are common for all users.  This allows one person (me) to keep it in perfect order.  I am the only one to add new music or pictures in so everything is kept in good form.  Under each user account I have: Desktop, Documents, Firefox, Media Center, Sunbird, Thunderbird.  These are all linked to the appropriate programs on every computer and every account.  We can use any computer in our house and get our Firefox profile, My Documents, Desktop, etc.  It is unbelievably cool.  Firefox, for instance, stores 100% of a user's data (including extensions) in the profile folder so everything is transferred to every computer.  All these folder locations are setup through .reg and other .txt files so there is not really any GUI effort...just copy and replace files or run .reg files (once they're setup).

There is also a shared folder under Users.  It has Calendars, Desktop, Documents, Temp, Unused, & Wallpaper.  I use a freeware program called Auto Wallpaper Changer.  With a .reg file, it is automatically setup to pull images from the wallpaper folder.  Unused keeps images not in use.  I simply manage the pictures in there and all the computers use these same images--and change the background every 30 minutes.  Calendars stores our calendars which are accessible and editable on any computer and in our kitchen on KIP (Kitchen Information Portal) which I built with Macro Express, Sunbird, etc.  It shows our four cameras streaming live plus our calendar with simple keyboard shortcuts for adding events.

Video is 100% of our DVD collection...not recompressed, either...coming in at 3.46TB.  The entire collection is accessible by remote through MC in our kitchen and my room.  We are considering adding more units because it means no more DVD handling.  Plus, the HTPCs can have a DVD drive to play CDs/DVDs and obviously this includes our pictures and music.  It is opening the server's Media Center folder in readonly mode.  The server uses it for serving library server & UPnP server.

Web Site is all my web sites over the years, which I host myself.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 03:05:06 am »

We have five laser printers.  Black in the basement, two blacks on main floor, and one black upstairs.  Upstairs we also have a color laser printer.  They are all networked and are setup on every computer and named a good name: "Theater Black" (basement) or "Computer Color" (for computer room upstairs).  So anyone on any computer can print to any floor or printer at any time.

Everyone's homepage on Firefox is a random live camera feed from our four cameras (all aiming outside to our yard).  We all use Thunderbird (IMAP through hMailServer, which I host) and our Thunderbird start page is a special page that shows all four cameras plus 8 local weather images.  I have the weather images downloaded to the server on a schedule so they are local and appear instantly vs. waiting to download 8 large images over the internet.

I honestly could go on and on.  KIP is really a marvel.  Everyone who I've shown (Kitchen Information Portal) to has been jaw droppingly impressed.  We keep KIP on 24/7...just like our server and htpcs.  And our internet and server is all on battery backups that will last at least 20 minutes overall.  The server records the camera streams for 4 days and it will keep recording all cameras when the power goes out!  I have UPSes on every switch in between (our theater, where one camera is, also has a big UPS).

And as a college student, I got a copy of Windows Server 2003 for free!  I have setup Shadow Copy.  WOW.  If you make sure you have the client app on every computer you can easily restore files.  It is also absolutely incredible.  I have it check the drive twice daily which gives about a month of spread out backups.  And for a 5TB of data it has used less than 100 GB (on a separate drive) as backup data.  It only backs up files that are modified or deleted--not the entire drive.

It really is a big project to get everything working as amazingly as I have it.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:22:02 am »

Our DVDs also have cover art...except our home movie DVDs.  I'm trying to find a solution to this because it bugs me.

We have 4 MP101's.  One is in the bathroom and I listen to music every morning while I shower.  A second in our attached garage.  A third will eventually go in our detached garage.  And our fourth is not in use.  MC easily replaces these but they're handy in random places.  And wireless is the best option in the bathroom, which they have.  And in MC's theater view, I have options to view our cameras and weather images (through the homepage custom site links).

We just built a rack with several servers at work and now I'm very tempted to want a rackmount.  My server is 4U tall and has a locking bezel plus sliding rails--so it's ready to go.  So if you want, consider a rack.  They're cool and then you can get rack mountable switches and servers.

As I'm looking back at everything I have setup I'm quite impressed.  It has taken several years to get all this working so well.  It's really the complete package: our data and media everywhere with incredible, high-quality applications including free apps like Firefox, Thunderbird, All Snap (favorite app) plus the ever important commercial apps like Media Center, Macro Express, and the Adobe suite.

We have not run anti-virus or anti-spyware software essentially ever.  Technically there was a period where I did but I haven't for several years back.  We don't like our computers being slowed down.  And I disable everything from starting other than what I absolutely want/need.

My specialty at the moment is PHP/MySQL web sites.  This really helps with lots of areas.  I have wrote different sites for tracking the family's issues.  We track our CDs we want on my site, "Requests."  I have a portal that all the apps stem from, including Web Mail, all our camera images, weather images, streaming video, server administration pages, etc.

Not sure how much of what I said is of interest but I basically just poured my entire setup (that I can think of at this moment) out...noting the coolest parts.  We have so much flexibility in how I have everything setup that I think it's worth writing about and documenting.  The ability to access our files/profiles/calendars/media/printers from anywhere is amazing.  IMAP email is amazing in itself--especially because I use server-side rules and email signature so, on my iphone for instance, email is automatically placed into the correct folders immediately.  And my signature is added at the server.  Lastly, we have an above average internet upload speed of 1Mb with essentially no blocked ports or services.  I am running/have run http, imap, smtp, pop (long time ago, yuck), ftp, MC, and more.

benn600

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 03:27:44 am »

I should setup these systems in people's houses--computers, server, SmoothWall, printers, etc.

I guess my information is more informative rather than just answering your questions.  But its stuff to consider and see how far you want to go.  I didn't set all this up in a week!  It has taken 3+ years!  And developing a good system for quickly formatting and setting our computers up took even longer.  Years of trial and error with storing files on the server.  For years I set the folders with Tweak UI and it took forever (every computer * 4/5 user accounts and without remote control software!)  Now, I can reformat our computers and have them setup with no data loss in a day or so.  The server solves lots of problems here but the .reg files make setting each computer/account up incredibly simple and fast.

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 10:16:47 am »

Benn.....thanks for the reply, that is one amazing system you have created! What you have described goes waaay beyond what I'm looking for, but it's interesting to hear what's possible. I think what I need to do for now is just network 3 computers, a tivo, TV and sound as simply as possible. However, I'd like to retain the option of expanding the system later to include some of the features you have as my budget allows....without tearing walls apart.

benn600

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 01:12:58 pm »

Run 4 ethernet ports to every room.  Run them all to a central location and then use a decent gigabit switch.  The key is to run wires if you're setting up new work space.  Run possibly phone and coax, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up