INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: regarding genres  (Read 1625 times)

antipode

• Recent member
regarding genres
« on: November 07, 2007, 04:13:29 am »

Some questions are probably too easy or obvious, which in fact make them really hard to get an answer to.
Here's mine:

How can I, in standard view, add multiple genres to one song/album?
I tried several signs and symbols (like : ; , &), but al I created were new genres instead of adding old ones.

Ofcourse I tried the 'media center help' and this forum, but couldn't find the solution. I really hope someone could find the time to answer my 'newbie' question.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: regarding genres
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:40:00 am »

the genre field is not suitable for multiple genres. you could make a new field called genres in the tools>options>library & folders>User library fields. make the field list(semicolon delimited) under data. now you can put multiple genres under an song using the new field.

an other new option would be to use the standard genre and seperate the different genres using the symbol of your choice. and use ListItem to pull them appart. you need version 363 and up for that. here is some info about listitem http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language#ListItem.28....29:_Use_to_return_a_value_from_a_delimited_list

edit: actually that last option is a nice idea for me. still have problems with thinkin in these genres. so thanks!! 8)

edit 2: and welcome on the forum.  :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 05:03:19 am »

gappie, I think using ListItem would be too much work. You can only use it to return a single specified value, say, the first, or the second or third etc. genre in the field. It won't break the whole thing down and present a list for you.

antipode, MC has several types of [Field].

The default [Genre] field is a standard "string type" field. IE, it can only hold a single string value. MC's default fields cannot be edited.

To realise a field containing multiple genres, you would need to manually create a "semi colon delimited list type" field and then configure your view scheme(s) to show your new field.

To create a new field:
open MC's options and select Library and folders: Tools > Options > Library and Folders.
select "user library fields" in the right hand pane.
click on "add field" and fill the dialogue like so:

the keyword entry is purely optional. they help speed up searches, so, rather than type [genres]=rock in the search bar, gs=rock will return the same result.
The field name is also completely optional. You may call it whatever you wish so long as you don't use an existing field name.
OK your way out of options.

load a view where you'd like to see [genres].
list type fields are not really designed to work as columns, so you'd want to add a Genres pane. (columns make up the file list at the bottom of a view, while panes are shown at the top.)
click on a pane header next to where you want Genres to be and you will see, among others, add pane to left or add pane to right of this one. Choose appropriately and then choose Genres from the list of library fields.

You may also want to see Genres in the Tag action window (bottom left of MC) and to do that, right click in the tag window and follow the "Also show..." menu.
Start adding Genres. You can do this by selecting files, then clicking in the little boxes you see in the Genres pane. (to begin with of course, you will only see "New Genres") or by clicking on "Genres" in the tag window.

-marko.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:22:49 am »

gappie, I think using ListItem would be too much work. You can only use it to return a single specified value, say, the first, or the second or third etc. genre in the field. It won't break the whole thing down and present a list for you.
    ofcourse you are right marko.  :) as usual.
    was playing with it a bit though. using it with datatype=[ list ] gave me what i wanted, but does not answer the initial question.
    [/list]

antipode

• Recent member
    « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:28:04 am »

Marko & Gappie, you are both my hero's of the day... (Marko even a bit more because his answer was longer  ;D)

Will try the 'new field' theory tonight!!

Scrub

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:49:55 pm »

Hi,

Is there a way to edit the genres?  I simply want to delete a bunch that I'll never use, and add some that aren't there.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Scrub

marko

• MC Beta Team
    « Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 01:13:05 am »

there are many ways you can do that, here's one:

click on tag in the action window to open the tag window.

click on "Audio" in the top left.

In the search bar (top right) type: g="the genre I want to delete"

In the tag window, click on Genre, press the delete key followed by the enter key to leave an empty genre field or type in a new entry and press enter to apply a new Genre to those tracks.

-marko.

Scrub

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:59:19 am »

Hi Marko,

Thanks so much! 

What are some of the other ways?  Is there a file I can open and edit?

The method you describe grabs all songs with similar genre, example "classical" will also pull "classic rock", etc.

Cheers,
    Scrub

marko

• MC Beta Team
    « Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:49:33 pm »

ahh, my bad...

to get an exact match, use: g=[the genre I want to delete]

Another option would be to do it inline...
    list all music, click on the Genre column to sort by it, select the first classical genre, shift+click on the last classical genre to select them all, then right click in the Genre field and choose rename.

-marko.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up