INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP Server problem  (Read 1213 times)

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
UPnP Server problem
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:20:46 am »

Hi

I have two problems with the UPnP server in MC. Both are related to video streaming. The first problem came after a firmware update to my DSM-520 (1.04.05eu) and after updating MC to 12.0.365. The second problem has been there for a while.

(Problem 1)

It now takes up to a couple of minutes to start plying an Xvid video file. Jumping around in the file or stopping 
playback takes even longer. Plying back VOB and other files seem to work well. The new firmware update from D-Link 
has even improved VOB playback significantly. Using D-Links own media server works well with all files, including Xvid. MC were handling both file types very nicely before the updates described above.

(Problem 2)

Plying VOB files through the UPnP server in MC, reports the wrong file length  on my DSM-520 (in hours and minutes). Plying VOB files with the D-Link media server software displays the correct file length. As an example, running the D-Link software, a VOB file would be displayed as having a running length of 01:29:42, but MC would show 00:23:19 instead. Could this have something to do with VOB files normally are no bigger than 1Gb?

I have really enjoyed being able to play my movies through MC, so I hope someone is able to help me with this or at least verify the problem.

Thanks,

TLS

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: UPnP Server problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:11:56 am »

Re #2: in Media Center, what do you show for the Duration tag of the vob file?

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:43:11 am »

For the first problem, I don't have any xvid video, do you have one I could try?

j

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »

One movie will show 02:02:15 (Which is the correct duration) in the top display of MC. The "Duration" Tag is empty. The duration shown on the DSM-520, when pressing the info button shown 00:28:49.

TLS

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 12:29:13 pm »

The Xvid videos I have is 2GB or more. I can try to make a smaller file. How do I get it to you?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 03:45:59 pm »

For the VOB length problem: the VOB doesn't have the DURATION field set, and that's what the UPnP server uses to send the duration. So, the DSM is making some sort of guess (probably based on content length) and not doing well - perhaps we are sending the wrong info for it to make a guess about, perhaps it isn't very good at guessing. I'll see about getting the DURATION field set correctly.

For the xvid problem: I got one, and it played okay for me - no pause. Typically, a long pause in a video means it is seeking to the end for tag information (and on a 2 gig file, that takes a while). Can you try a fresh xvid, something newly imported, to make sure there's no tagging going on that might cause it?

j

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 05:52:15 pm »

John, thanks for your quick reply.

Fixing the duration with VOB files would be a great help. MC12 and the DSM-520 works really well together now and as I said the new firmware released here in Europe has improved VOB playback, big time.

I did some testing with the Xvid files and I think you are on the right track. I made 3 new video files. File sizes are 1GB, 2GB and 2.5GB. The 1 and 2GB start immidiately but the 2.5GB seems to do the seeking you describe.

This change, from when I was running 12.0.363 and everything worked as it should (including my files bigger that 2GB), is most likely caused by the new DSM-520 firmware. But the same files having problems in MC12, works fine with the D-Link server software. Playback starts immidiately. This tells me that it should be possible to fix playback in MC12 too.

TLS

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 02:00:30 pm »

The duration of VOBs must be available somewhere in MC. The correct length is displayed in the top part of MC when playing.

How long was the Xvid file you tried? Do you have one that exceeds 2GB?

TLS
Pages: [1]   Go Up