INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lossless DVD-Audio and DTS-CD over analogue w/ MC12...finally got it working  (Read 1509 times)

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

It's been a while since I've posted...really hit a breakthrough this weekend!

My DVD-A player died the other day, and not content to use the AC3 or DTS tracks, I eventually found a relatively fast (~1 hour's work) way to rip the lossless MLP tracks from my collection of DVD-A's.  I won't get into that -- there are enough guides on the 'net.

But importantly, I needed to get the music to play under MC12 via analogue to my receiver (since 24/96/5.1 isn't possible over S/PDIF).  So I opted to convert the MLP tracks, which are currently unplayable (that may change soon), to lossless 5.1 WMA files.  Then I set MC12's video options to use WMP, and finally I set the Type for these 5.1 WMA's to "WMV" - this forced them to play through the video decoder, which when using WMP's engine, plays full 24/96/5.1.  Yeah!!

While I was at it, I got MC12 to play ripped DTS-CD (dtswav) tracks flawlessly in 5.1 analogue.  With the latest ffdshow installed, make sure the DTS decoder is enabled and set the checkbox to play dts encoded .wav's.  Enable the mixer filter too.  Then in MC12, set the ripped .wav's Type to "AVI" instead of "WAV".  Again it'll play using the video decoder, which will use ffdshow's .wav codec, which will recognize and decode the 5.1 track.

End result: I have my DTS cd's, DVD-Audio tracks, and regular CDs all managed and playing now through MC12 in their original, bit-perfect glory.  Now I just need a bigger hard drive...Night At The Opera clocked in at 2.8GB...

-Doug

P.S. The reason I said that MLP playback may change soon, is that ffmpeg now unofficially supports it as a decoder.  It's only a matter of time before ffdshow does.  One benefit of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is that someone had the impetus to finally reverse-engineer MLP...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Doug,
Thanks for posting what you discovered.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up