INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVI being imported as documents  (Read 1373 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
AVI being imported as documents
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:55:06 pm »

What's going on?  Avi files are showing up under documents so when I double click, they just open from Windows.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: AVI being imported as documents
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:15 pm »

A codec problem?

Try the GSpot tool and read the DirectShow playback wiki guide.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:20:36 pm »

Strange.  The second most recent version fixed it.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:41:33 am »

I'm experiencing this same behaviour from time to time. I have not yet found a pattern... maybe when I "force" an import from a folder that contains a mix of avis, logfiles and other type of files on the desktop using the right-click Media Center-> Import option?

Changing the file type from Documents to Video in the action window (tag) normally fixes the problem... though sometimes the files are not thumbnailed.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:37:21 am »

Not sure if it's related, but I have a few matroska (mkv) files that always import as Audio. MC plays them fine as Video, no problems whatsoever. I just change the Media Type tag to Video to fix it. Such a tiny problem I couldn't be bothered to investigate why.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 06:36:37 am »

A codec problem?

Try the GSpot tool and read the DirectShow playback wiki guide.
Good advice.  It's a DirectShow filter that can't read whatever is in the avi.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:55:32 am »

Good advice.  It's a DirectShow filter that can't read whatever is in the avi.

Hi Jim, I think there is more to it as it occurs from time to time regardless of the video file type and that the files can be played it MC12 with the current filter setup.  FYI as reported by others - this problem even happens occasionally on files created by the TV record function (eg they get imported as documents not as video - but changing their type fixes the problem but you're left without the thumnail).  I'm "guessing" but for some reason it appears that JRWorker seems to occasionally fail when trying to open the file resulting in it being taged as a document and obviously not generating the Thumbnail.  I stress the work ocassionally as there seems to be no definitive pattern.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:50:24 pm »

I kept thinking, maybe there is something that I do not know about running a DirectShow graph in a worker thread without a GUI window. I have not found any answers yet. This COULD be the cause of some of the weirdness related to JRWorker.exe. As Nathan said it, this occasional failure of the JRWorker could be the reason a video is imported as document. Manually changing the media type to Video usually puts the affected files on right track.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:19:07 pm »

It's so sporadic it is hard to work out what might cause it.  The only thing I can think of is the JRWorker tries to open the file before it has been closed by the process that is either copying it or creating it in a folder being watched and this causes it to fail.  The reason I suggest this is just anecdotal observations that the problems crop up with the TV Recordings and when copying files over the network.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 01:35:16 am »

I think I found a pattern in which .avi videos always import as document files. It happens here when I:

1.- Download the .avi files using my laptop. A folder with the tittle of the .avi is automatically generated. That folder contains the .avi itself plus a .txt logfile. 
2.- Copy or move those folders to a USB-Pendrive.
3.- Insert the USB-Pendrive in my main computer (where MC is).

The .avi files are identified as documents no matter if I:

4.1- Right-click on the Pendrive icon in Windows Explorer -> Media Center -> Import.
4.2- Move the folders from the Pendrive to a local folder and do the same procedure as above.

Thank you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up