INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIC in not recording properly  (Read 1480 times)

~soldat

MIC in not recording properly
« on: November 14, 2007, 01:55:38 am »

I am trying to record some music of Lp's using the MIC in socket on my laptop with Media center 12,

The first time I tried, it said I needed some encoders for mp3, which I downloaded, But the recording has no sound at all, I tried using that auto volume adjust and lots of other stuff, but gave up and turned to the internet.

Do I need to buy the full version (i'm using the trial version and will buy the program if I can use it to record my Lp's)

Help :P

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MIC in not recording properly
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 05:43:02 am »

The trial has all features enabled, so your problem is not caused by the fact that you are on the try out period.

Have you tried any other means of getting sound in from the mic input - for example, a standard pc microphone (or microphone/headset) with Skype or a similar Internet telephone program?

You may have the mic input disabled in the Windows audio options. On XP (you didn't mention what OS you have) you can find the recording mixer in Windows Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Audio (tab) > Sound Recording > Volume...

How do you connect the turntable? Are you aware that you can't connect a turntable with a magnetic cartridge directly without a phono preamp? (Some turntables have a built-in preamp/RIAA correction module and naturally you can use the standard tape out connectors on your stereo amp/receiver.)

Another issue is the quality of the internal audio devices on laptops. Quite often the mic in connector is only mono and not of high quality. For serious recording I would recommend an external USB audio interface -  for example, this model: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=743&ParentId=104. It is relatively inexpensive, has stereo RCA in & out connectors and provides high quality sound.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 05:45:16 am »

In my experience, in order to be able for the signal from LPs to be usable for listening or recording, the turntable must first go through a phono preamp (whether in an old receiver, integrated amplifier or a dedicated phone preamp stage). The signal coming from phono cartridges is very low and also requires RIAA equalization in order to sound right (all LPs made within the last 40 or so years are recorded to require this RIAA eq on playback). You either need to get a phone preamp stage or one of the new USB turntables (I have no experience with them so I don't know if they are good) in order to be able to convert your LPs. In either case you should then use the Line In not the Mic in.

I see that Alex B posted just before me. I hadn't focused on the laptop aspect of your post but if you don't have a phono preamp and are using the onboard sound of your laptop, you might want to consider getting a firewire or USB sound card solution. I currently use a Terratec Aureon firewire 7.1 unit which has both 7.1, and phono in (just attach your turntable), mic in and headphone out. I find this to be very versatile  and I'm quite confident that you will get better sound with this than your onboard. You can find out more at http://sounden.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=198

Good luck with your project!

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 07:56:28 am »

You might find this useful, be sure to scroll down the page a bit to get to the table of contents...

http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

~soldat

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:18:44 pm »

I doubt its my laptops fault, as I have used it to record of lp's before (but using musicmatch jukebox, but after a hard drive faliure haven't been able to get it back) te turntable is built into a stereo system with tapedecks and cd drives so it probably has that phono preamp thing (although I am no sound tech guy) and I connect it using the headphone out on my stereo to the mic in on my laptop with a cablw that has two male connectors (I doubt thats the best way).

p.s. my OS is windows XP sp2

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:25:52 pm »

have you checked the windows volume settings. when you click the small speaker in the task bar or start>programs>accessoires>entertainment>volume control. and then go to options>recording. is the right input selected and set at a good volume (start at 100%  8) ).
Pages: [1]   Go Up